Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 03:16 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,574,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
From your oxford dictionary

A principle or set of principles laid down by an authority as incontrovertibly true.
‘the dogmas of faith’

1. Atheists have no one in authority who could lay down such a principle.
2. Atheist do not accept anything as *incontrovertibly true.* Science is always changing when we get new evidence.

Oh, but this is simply not true.

One. Yes, there is. You simply are not aware of it. It is called egregore. Atheist egregore. Just like any religion has its own egregore, so does atheism. I will let those in interest to find more about egregores. If I could - you can.
Two. Oh, but there is. And science has little to do with this. Incontrovertible truth for any atheist - or he is not an atheist - is that there is no god.

And, btw, thank you mentioning that science is always changing. So much for scientific values, so much beloved by atheists as eternal truths used in argument with religious folk.

Old 07-19-2018, 04:47 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,857,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Really? How do we benefit from them pushing their faith on others including us. How does my Hindu dil benefit? How does my Jewish husband benefit? How does any atheist benefit?

Real answers, please.
Sorry. That's not really responding to what I said.

Old 07-19-2018, 04:53 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post

One. Yes, there is. You simply are not aware of it. It is called egregore. Atheist egregore. Just like any religion has its own egregore, so does atheism. I will let those in interest to find more about egregores. If I could - you can.
Two. Oh, but there is. And science has little to do with this. Incontrovertible truth for any atheist - or he is not an atheist - is that there is no god.

And, btw, thank you mentioning that science is always changing. So much for scientific values, so much beloved by atheists as eternal truths used in argument with religious folk.
You are mistaken. Atheists take the position that there is no evidence for god. Some do state that there is no god is truth, but most of us do not. Read what we say, not what you attribute to us.

Scientific values are curiosity about the world, logical and systemic thought, open-mindedness to the possibilities and the ability to plan experiments to see how things work. Scientists make hypotheses and then test them rather than accepting things on faith.

Old 07-19-2018, 06:06 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,633,384 times
Quote:
Oh, but there is. And science has little to do with this. Incontrovertible truth for any atheist - or he is not an atheist - is that there is no god.
Yeah, that's not the meaning of "atheist". Plenty of atheists have no such belief.

Old 07-19-2018, 06:13 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:

Yes, science is always changing. It seeks out and follows the truth.

Unlike religion.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:09 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,041,398 times
Quote:
I will let those in interest to find more about egregores. If I could - you can.
You cite an unproven, immaterial, thought construct as evidence that atheism is false? Really?

I think you are unclear on the concept of skepticism.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:41 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,853,575 times
Quote:

LOL! 'The accused is guilty as charged mi lud. There is plenty of evidence for it but you'll just have to go out and find it for yourself.'

Quote:
Ah! Another one that hasn't got a clues what an atheist says...despite us explaining it to treetops for the past two days. Try asking an atheist what he says rather than assuming that you know and making a fool of yourself.

Quote:
More vomit! There is no such thing as 'eternal truths' in science. Science NEVER says 'this will never change'. Science says...'This is what we find given the evidence that we have. If new evidence comes to light, what we find may change.'

So, please be so king as to point out any science that you think is seen as 'eternal truth'. I certainly don't know of any.

Old 07-19-2018, 11:30 PM

179 posts, read 83,051 times
So by claiming to hold no dogma you are admitting you believe in nothing. This also means you cannot make a statement of truth which is relevant since nothing you say you have any credible faith in. Dogma applies to all worldviews and those who say there is no dogma in atheism are fooling themselves.

Not believing in God is dogma in atheism. Believing that life evolved from non-life is dogma in atheism. I would go on but you get the point. The Greek definition of dogma applies to politics just as much as it does religion. It is a set of beliefs and/or principles held and believed to be true.

Of course, since every atheist professor has taught moral relativism to students for several decades now it is clear that moral relativism is also dogma. This also reduced the atheist worldview to a dogma that doesn't believe in anything. It's like the agnostic position which says 'There is no truth and that's the truth!' Such a statement cancels itself out since it is a statement authoritatively said as a dogma of being agnostic -- a statement of truth (though a contradictory one).

Old 07-19-2018, 11:37 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,853,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fezzilla View Post
So by claiming to hold no dogma you are admitting you believe in nothing. This also means you cannot make a statement of truth which is relevant since nothing you say you have any credible faith in. Dogma applies to all worldviews and those who say there is no dogma in atheism are fooling themselves.

Not believing in God is dogma in atheism. Believing that life evolved from non-life is dogma in atheism. I would go on but you get the point. The Greek definition of dogma applies to politics just as much as it does religion. It is a set of beliefs and/or principles held and believed to be true.

Of course, since every atheist professor has taught moral relativism to students for several decades now it is clear that moral relativism is also dogma. This also reduced the atheist worldview to a dogma that doesn't believe in anything. It's like the agnostic position which says 'There is no truth and that's the truth!' Such a statement cancels itself out since it is a statement authoritatively said as a dogma of being agnostic -- a statement of truth (though a contradictory one).
Do not feed the troll.

Old 07-20-2018, 04:29 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,857,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fezzilla View Post

Believing that everything in the complex universe came from nothing is atheistic dogma. Nothing in the wildest religion can ever come close to that. This is why every religious person looks quite normal and intelligent in comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism