Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 10:25 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,909,885 times

Advertisements

No it doesn't. There is no evidence for that, and while it's frequently stated, and widely believed (Oprah, par example), I think it's just another futile attempt by humans to order the universe to their liking, making it a cozy, comfortable place, supportive of humans. How can anyone with an iota of intelligence or scientific training say such a thing.

Synchronicity, yes. Purpose with human beings in mind, no.b

Old 09-17-2018, 10:32 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,758,293 times
I take it we’re talking about human experience here?

Because, in fact, in the material world, everything DOES happen for a reason - so much so that we can say there is a perfectly good, non-occult explanation, even when we don’t know what that explanation is.

Old 09-17-2018, 10:47 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,133,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I take it we’re talking about human experience here?

Because, in fact, in the material world, everything DOES happen for a reason - so much so that we can say there is a perfectly good, non-occult explanation, even when we don’t know what that explanation is.
When people say "Everything happens for a reason" they aren't referencing the mechanics, rather it is meant to suggest that some intelligence is directing it for some purpose that humans would understand if known. It is the sort of thing which gets said when some outcome we don't like or understand has occurred. It gets employed to explain away the seeming cruelties of the divine caprice. Why was that family of five's young father killed in a bizarre accident? Well, everything happens for a reason. God has its purposes you see.

in short it is one more version of "Mystery of Faith."

Old 09-17-2018, 12:10 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,384,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
No it doesn't. There is no evidence for that, and while it's frequently stated, and widely believed (Oprah, par example), I think it's just another futile attempt by humans to order the universe to their liking, making it a cozy, comfortable place, supportive of humans. How can anyone with an iota of intelligence or scientific training say such a thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
When people say "Everything happens for a reason" they aren't referencing the mechanics, rather it is meant to suggest that some intelligence is directing it for some purpose that humans would understand if known. It is the sort of thing which gets said when some outcome we don't like or understand has occurred. It gets employed to explain away the seeming cruelties of the divine caprice. Why was that family of five's young father killed in a bizarre accident? Well, everything happens for a reason. God has its purposes you see.

in short it is one more version of "Mystery of Faith."
Totally agreed!! In fact, I believe many things happen everyday for no good reason at all!

Old 09-17-2018, 12:23 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,350,704 times
Quote:

Every effect is preceded by a cause. Hurricanes, for example, are caused by the sun heating the oceans in the equatorial latitudes more than in the northern latitudes. So everything happens for a reason. Purpose however implies an intelligent cause. There is no intelligent cause in the fact that the equatorial latitudes of planet Earth receive more direct energy from the sun than do the northern latitudes, causing an imbalance that is responsible for weather. But there is always a reason behind everything that occurs.

Old 09-17-2018, 01:14 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,051,383 times
Quote:
When people say "Everything happens for a reason" they aren't referencing the mechanics, rather it is meant to suggest that some intelligence is directing it for some purpose that humans would understand if known. It is the sort of thing which gets said when some outcome we don't like or understand has occurred.
Exactly. And that's why I find the phrase so annoying.

In a mechanical sense the phrase is 100% accurate. It's also why traveling into the past could never work. Change just one 'cause' within the incredibly complex web/chain of cause-and-effect and you instantly create an entirely new chain that didn't exist before.

I am fond of the word serendipity, but there isn't a comparable widely known word to describe its opposite. All the antonyms seem to be based on the presumption of some outside agency, e.g. "ill-fated" which suggests direction. Supposedly an author in the late 1990s coined the word zemblanity to describe unpleasant or unwanted chance outcomes that occur, but somehow I doubt that will ever catch on, LOL

Closest I can come to it is the ever-popular "S*** happens".

Old 09-17-2018, 01:32 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
Quote:

Ya know how people have NDEs?
Well, I've had my share of moments where I was stunned with my mouth dropped as I was shown something out of the blue...staggering snapshots of my life...
trivial things...and how each and every one
was perfect for me to be 'here', right now. I saw the progression from years past....and wow!
Did it ever blow my socks off.
I didn't need any order in any Universe! I'm pretty darn cozy as it is.

How a person can say these things is cuz they were shown...and they ''see'', I see every moment has been for this moment right now.

No one has to believe me, think I'm weird...in fact, I hope they don't believe me...
it'll be more of a great surprise if and when it happens to them!!!
Here's another unscientific thing...I know why every single thing ever happens to me...the good, the bad and the ugly...might take me a couple minutes after I stop the bleeding...but, then I 'see', "Oh."

Doesn't take much to see..."Ya leave a lit cigar on the cabin counter and Susan's cabin burns down." Stupid is what stupid does.

Old 09-17-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post

Closest I can come to it is the ever-popular "S*** happens".
That is actually as a good a summary of the real dynamic as one could wish. The drawback is in its lack of utility. If someone has suffered a loss or endured a great disappointment, "bleep happens" provides no comfort despite its accuracy. This is where the religious enjoy an advantage. They get to say a bunch of things which despite not being true, do serve to discharge one's obligations to proper displays of sympathy or empathy. "The Lord has called her home"..."He's gone to be with Mama in heaven" all those cliches may be drawn like guns when the situation calls for comforting. "That's the way the ball bounces" isn't what people want to hear in those situations.

Old 09-17-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post

How a person can say these things is cuz they were shown...and they ''see'', I see every moment has been for this moment right now.
Why is it that these sorts of things only ever happen to people who are well disposed toward interpreting things in a spiritual manner? I have never, nor have any of my friends and acquaintances who may be described as rationalists, seen a ghost, heard a disembodied voice, or seen natural law defied in any manner.

I have a new neighbor across the street who is spiritually oriented. Yesterday he asked me about the people who had lived in the house before they moved in. I told him about Stan and Carolyn and he asked me if she had died in the house. I told him that she had and he responded "I thought so." What followed was his story of having three separate visits from a female apparition which he was interpreting as Carolyn haunting the house because she had died there. This guy had actually hired some sort of exorcist or voodoo doctor to come and purify the house by chanting and burning incense. My neighbor announced that it worked and the apparition is no longer making appearances.

What can one say when one hears something like that? My true reaction had to be suppressed in favor of my congratulating him on driving away the evil spirits.

Old 09-17-2018, 03:13 PM

4,466 posts, read 1,607,081 times
Quote:
Why is it that these sorts of things only ever happen to people who are well disposed toward interpreting things in a spiritual manner? I have never, nor have any of my friends and acquaintances who may be described as rationalists, seen a ghost, heard a disembodied voice, or seen natural law defied in any manner.

I have a new neighbor across the street who is spiritually oriented. Yesterday he asked me about the people who had lived in the house before they moved in. I told him about Stan and Carolyn and he asked me if she had died in the house. I told him that she had and he responded "I thought so." What followed was his story of having three separate visits from a female apparition which he was interpreting as Carolyn haunting the house because she had died there. This guy had actually hired some sort of exorcist or voodoo doctor to come and purify the house by chanting and burning incense. My neighbor announced that it worked and the apparition is no longer making appearances.

What can one say when one hears something like that? My true reaction had to be suppressed in favor of my congratulating him on driving away the evil spirits.
Exactly!

It is only the people who have some desire to believe that ever see or hear anything. The people who believe in ghosts seem to see ghosts in every "haunted" place they visit. People who believe in Bigfoot seem to hear and see things in the woods. I could go on, but I think you get the picture.

I have never seen anyone who just went to sleep an atheist, and woke up claiming God spoke to them in their dream or some such nonsense. It is always the ones who were already prone to believing, or those who want or need to believe. Take our very own Mystic as an example.

My question is, if there is some God out there, and he is speaking to people or showing people things, why isn't this God showing this stuff to the atheists and non-believers, instead of the ones who already believe or want to believe???.

As to the actual OP, the saying is crap. If "everything" happens for a reason, and God is behind that reason, no one should want to have anything to do with that monster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism