Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 09:10 PM

241 posts, read 96,025 times

Advertisements

excuse unedited cell phone sentences.

as a person who is convinced of a creator, i was wondering why the acceptence of a diestic/theistic god is considered impractical or improbable

afterall, there are many scientific reasons for one to consider a creator, unless one can mathematically disprove one

i am not scientifically attempting to prove god to condone my belief or act as an apologist for deistic or theistic believers

i just cannot fathom as to why it is improbable for one to believe or atleast consider the possibility of a creator.

as the below articles illustrate, there seems to be a reason that one may objectively consider the possibility of a creator

note: these vague articles didnt influence my decision to be convinced of a creator

vague articles below:

Why Science Does Not Disprove God | Time

Collins: Why this scientist believes in God - CNN.com

Arguments why God (very probably) exists

https://www.everystudent.com/features/isthere.html

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...usk-the-matrix

Old 11-02-2018, 09:17 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,939,463 times
I think atheism is a psychological condition.

Old 11-02-2018, 09:22 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,316,640 times
I'm blowing my mind trying to fathom a "diestic god."

Old 11-02-2018, 09:24 PM

29,259 posts, read 16,892,955 times
People can believe all they want and I believed and started to get closer and closer to NOT believing in my 60's....you close to that age yet?

Old 11-02-2018, 09:37 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,258,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiros7 View Post

as a person who is convinced of a creator, i was wondering why the acceptence of a diestic/theistic god is considered impractical or improbable
"Impractical" or "improbable" are not the words I employ for this, they are "irrelevant" and "unnecessary." If there is a creator out there which has specific desires regarding our conduct, but fails to make any of these desires known, we are in the same situation we would be in if there was no creator. Until any creator decides to put in an appearance and give us an operator's manual for life, all we can do is make ridiculously wild guesses about what it wants us to do, or even if it cares what we do or pays any attention at all to us. Under such circumstances, why bother even thinking about it? Irrespective of the answer, your life is the same.

Old 11-02-2018, 10:15 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,399,164 times
I am agnostic relative to a First Cause. I have nothing against the concept itself. I just don't know what that means for the likes of us. If it is removed and uninvolved in human affairs, is impersonal, etc., then it has no real impact on my day to day life.

Old 11-02-2018, 10:42 PM

8,245 posts, read 3,457,324 times
If the universe is conscious and alive (and many think it is), then it would naturally generate life.

Some atheists might say, ok maybe the universe is conscious, we don't know. But if it is, that in no way implies there is a personal God, as described in the Western bibles.

No, it doesn't. But there is also no reason to think a universal consciousness could not have a "personality." There is no reason to think it could not generate an infinite number of personalities, which include ourselves, and all the super-physical entities referred to as spirits, demons, gods, etc.

Old 11-02-2018, 10:43 PM

8,245 posts, read 3,457,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
People can believe all they want and I believed and started to get closer and closer to NOT believing in my 60's....you close to that age yet?
You posted recently about a spiritual organization you belong to, which believes in universal consciousness. So I don't understand why you say you don't believe. What do you not believe in?

Old 11-02-2018, 10:58 PM

29,259 posts, read 16,892,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
You posted recently about a spiritual organization you belong to, which believes in universal consciousness. So I don't understand why you say you don't believe. What do you not believe in?
I don't believe in a supreme being, but I subscribe to MOST of the principles of Science of Mind and I believe I said, I make alterations for my beliefs.

The Power of Positive Thinking foremost. Half Full vs Half Empty thinking about life.

Adding O to god and claiming GOOD.

Old 11-03-2018, 12:17 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,845,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiros7 View Post

afterall, there are many scientific reasons for one to consider a creator, unless one can mathematically disprove one

i am not scientifically attempting to prove god to condone my belief or act as an apologist for deistic or theistic believers

i just cannot fathom as to why it is improbable for one to believe or atleast consider the possibility of a creator.

as the below articles illustrate, there seems to be a reason that one may objectively consider the possibility of a creator

note: these vague articles didnt influence my decision to be convinced of a creator

vague articles below:

Why Science Does Not Disprove God | Time

Collins: Why this scientist believes in God - CNN.com

Arguments why God (very probably) exists

https://www.everystudent.com/features/isthere.html

I personally don't have major issues with a deistic god. I think a deistic god is superfluous when it comes to explaining the natural world, but otherwise - meh. I suspect most atheists would feel about the same. It's the Pat Robertson and Franklin Graham types who have seriously allergic reactions to the idea of a christian-based deistic god.

What atheists *are* seriously allergic to is
1) insisting that some holy scripture or other should be the source for civil law, and
2) demanding that conflict between holy scripture and science must be resolved in favor of scripture

As long as a deist avoids both (1) and (2), I won't be all that interested in arguing the point, but if you're seriously interested in arguing it, sure, I'll play.

Last edited by jacqueg; 11-03-2018 at 12:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism