Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2018, 06:56 AM

16,769 posts, read 4,974,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Atheism is about the personal ego.
No, atheism is not believing in gods. It is that simple. How come you can not understand that. Or are you deliberately straw manning?

Quote:
Religion is self-denial and connection to our neighbor.
But burn the heretics.

Quote:
These are my current perspectives after a life of observation.
Which says more about you than atheism.

Quote:
It is not to say that the atheist perspective doesn't accomplish a lot of good things.
How does not believing in gods accomplish anything?

Quote:
You can't disprove a biblical God if he causes people to do good things.
True. If you had proof (or even evidence) that he causes people to do good things, then that would be proof (or even evidence) that your god exists. The problem is, you do not have this proof. Or even evidence.

Quote:
Atheism leads to arrogance, which is an evil thing in my opinion. And it is proof (to me) that atheism is a delusion.
Once again you kick the poop out of religion, Ozzy Friendly Fire Rules. Your non sequitur ignores the overwhelming arrogance that is Christianity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 08:53 AM

88,544 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
And yet he took zero action to eliminate slavery, elevate the status of women or implement democracy and republicanism.

His beliefs and statements were in fact used to justify slavery, the treatment of women as 2nd Class Citizens and totalitarianism and other forms of non-democratic government.

A man who opposes oppression and oppressors does not say, "Render unto Cesar...." rather he says, "Screw Cesar and split from the whole freaking program" which is exactly what Thomas Jefferson and the writers of the Declaration of Independence said.
Just a note: The quote as you constructed it in your post makes it appear as if they are my words when in fact they were from the article. I italicized the snippet hoping that it would therefore be apparent that it was from the article. Guess not.

I think your post demonstrates the overarching point of the article: Words can be taken to fit the agenda of whoever quotes them. In the case attempted to be made in the article, it is claimed that one Christian group is using them to oppress, one to assist the oppressed.

I don't see the "Render unto Caesar" story as anything more than a clever dodge to outwit the religious authorities who were trying to trip him up. Jefferson and crew, on the other hand, were dealing with a political issue.

Old 12-13-2018, 09:03 AM

50,777 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:

These are my current perspectives after a life of observation. It is not to say that the atheist perspective doesn't accomplish a lot of good things. But to me there should be a balance at least. You can't disprove a biblical God if he causes people to do good things. Atheism leads to arrogance, which is an evil thing in my opinion. And it is proof (to me) that atheism is a delusion.
Well, you've sure got that backwards. I've alluded to the christian ego many times. My religion is the only right religion. I get to tell you if you're leading a life that will send to hell. Etc.

"a life of observation". Oh big deal. My life of observation tells me the exact opposite.

Rather than atheism leading to arrogance, christianity leads to ignorance.

Old 12-13-2018, 04:18 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,158,416 times
Quote:
Atheism has nothing to do with personal ego.

It does not require ego to recognize that deities, especially the Islamic-Judeo-christian deities, are immoral and unethical malevolent beings.

I choose not to submit to immoral unethical malevolent beings, and would prefer to slay them where they stand, if only they would give me the opportunity to do so, but they fear me, so they would never give me that opportunity.

And, it does not require ego to recognize the thousands of contradictions, conflicts and inconsistencies in the so-called scriptural texts, which are claimed to be written by the deity or at the very least inspired by the deity.

The mere fact that the deity can't even get the story right is sufficient cause to dismiss the deity out-right, if for no other reason than lacking credibility.

Quote:
Religion isn't required for a connection to our neighbor, and it certainly isn't required for self-awareness.

Old 12-13-2018, 05:04 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,859,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Once again, you have caused several people to post replies to your post because you failed to understand the terms you chose to use. An atheist is a person with no belief in God, ye you have equated that term with threats in the world today.

Why do you keep making posts that don't even use words as they are defined?
What else would YOU call a person who sees all religion as a threat, and doesn't believe in a god? I said that I was looking for a good term for it if you didn't like "extreme atheist". What does it take to ask a question here?

Old 12-13-2018, 05:08 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,859,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Religion isn't required for a connection to our neighbor, and it certainly isn't required for self-awareness.
You are speaking for yourself and others like you.

Old 12-13-2018, 05:11 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,113,519 times
Quote:
Speaking for oneself and like minded others seems proper to me. Contrast that to your speaking on behalf of an army of imaginary atheists possessed of qualities you find distasteful.

Old 12-13-2018, 06:04 PM

50,777 posts, read 24,289,888 times
What a wonderful page!

Old 12-13-2018, 06:28 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times
Quote:
What else would YOU call a person who sees all religion as a threat, and doesn't believe in a god? I said that I was looking for a good term for it if you didn't like "extreme atheist". What does it take to ask a question here?
They are an atheist and an atheist activist if they see religion as a threat - to everyone. "Extremist" is a truly well - poisoning term that makes no sense when applied to atheism and is equating an atheist activist with a Muslim Fundamentalist who is willing to be violent about it. If you don't see how this is a nasty smear put about by Christians who fear atheism and its' increased popular support, it's time you did.

Quote:

You are sticking you fingers in your ears. You really believe that, without religion, an atheist can't connect with others and can't be aware?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
What a wonderful page!
It's nothing to do with the topic, but blind flailing at the "Atheism" that terrifies Ozzy, for some reason I really don't get, and I don't think he does either, as the "reasons" he pulls out of his hat are ridiculous.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 12-13-2018 at 06:39 PM..

Old 12-13-2018, 07:15 PM

63,791 posts, read 40,063,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
No he's not. He' s hanging up on the hard ones, as he does so often. He advanced a claim and I asked for an example. He could not, or at least would not provide one. That leaves us to accept his assertion on the basis of him asserting it and nothing else. Why are you defending hot air?
Actually, I am simply presenting an alternative interpretation on the requirement for worldly or carnal evidence of the presence of God. Why must there be??? There is plenty of spiritual evidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism