Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 01:41 AM

63,864 posts, read 40,149,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'd like to know the answer to the last question I asked.
And by the way, I do have a lot of sympathy for you. I know it must a terrible to challenge every day to interact us mere mortals. (re post 37)
Non-fiction means the writing was NOT intended to be fiction, PERIOD. What about that is unclear to you? I appreciate the sympathy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2019, 03:58 AM

16,806 posts, read 5,000,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Despite your extremely prejudiced and biased view, fiction is characterized by the INTENT of the author(s). Its accuracy is a separate issue entirely. The Bible was NEVER intended to be a work of fiction, period!
The gospels certainly were, as are some of the OT books.

Otherwise yes, the bible is an anthology of letters, allegorical fiction, history (usually by the winning side), etc.

Old 06-10-2019, 08:23 AM

50,884 posts, read 24,384,032 times
Quote:
Non-fiction means the writing was NOT intended to be fiction, PERIOD. What about that is unclear to you? I appreciate the sympathy.
You're very interesting in your manipulation of words...the key example here being "intended".

Old 06-10-2019, 09:31 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,645,593 times
Quote:
Despite your extremely prejudiced and biased view, fiction is characterized by the INTENT of the author(s). Its accuracy is a separate issue entirely. The Bible was NEVER intended to be a work of fiction, period!
No doubt. Still, just because someone writes down "God told me such and such", or "This happened, because God", doesn't make it true.

Old 06-10-2019, 09:34 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,645,593 times
Quote:
Are you disputing the library classification you asked for? Do you think libraries credit delusions? Do you think at all about what you are writing or do you just rely on kneejerk denials and rebuttals?
I'd say it is based on culturally accepted beliefs. The belief that the Bible is actually true has deep roots in American culture.

Old 06-10-2019, 03:26 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,757,440 times
Quote:
So it's non-fiction meaning NOT fiction. You always seem to infer beyond the base implications. You are familiar with more than two categories of writing, aren't you?
I take your point. Let me say rather that the Bible belongs on the Mythology shelf. I would perhaps Not regrd that as fiction, for the reasons you stated, but neither would that make it True. So when we call it Fiction, that's what we are saying (small -print caveat), not that it was intended as a book of stories purely for entertainment.

Old 06-10-2019, 06:57 PM

63,864 posts, read 40,149,593 times
Quote:
Here is the library classification - Nonfiction, Class B, Philosophy, Psychology, and Religion. It can be so frustrating dealing with ignorance (lack of knowledge).
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I take your point. Let me say rather that the Bible belongs on the Mythology shelf. I would perhaps Not regard that as fiction, for the reasons you stated, but neither would that make it True. So when we call it Fiction, that's what we are saying (small -print caveat), not that it was intended as a book of stories purely for entertainment.
You disagree with the library classification for obvious reasons that carry no weight. It is Non-Fiction, period.

Old 06-10-2019, 07:55 PM

50,884 posts, read 24,384,032 times
Quote:
You disagree with the library classification for obvious reasons that carry no weight. It is Non-Fiction, period.
There are two issues here. What is the library classification? And, what should the library classification be.

I find it funny how christians struggle so hard to find little things to grasp to in their defense of their religion. What if the Library Of Congress changed the classification? Would you then say, oh, religion is total fiction?

Old 06-11-2019, 06:03 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,058,855 times
Quote:
This is a perfect example of the logical fallacy, Argument from Authority.

Librarians are not experts on everything in every book. They are experts on information management. They have no innate or learned knowledge concerning the validity of all claims. They have human biases, and work within our societal norms. Most people are theists of one type or another, therefore religious texts get special consideration when shelving.

Where they are put and on which shelf is a ludicrously stupid argument in support of biblical validity.

Old 06-11-2019, 06:38 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,757,440 times
Quote:
You disagree with the small print caveat (Fiction means - not true, even if not intended as entertainment) for obvious reasons - or at least, reasons that are obvious to us. A semantic swindle (like 'Nature' is 'God' because it 'Created' us) or the point is pointless. To classify mythology as non fiction is a pretty irrelevant nit -pick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism