Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2019, 07:29 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,348,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
I turned it off after a few sentences describing WWII trenches and war. Also, not an attractive looking person, either.
Kara:

I respectfully have to say you do not get the profound significance of the story. Tribal or group differences are often set aside when the two opposing groups adopt a common cause or culture. This is extremely important in a world that is becoming multicultural and at the same time highly segregated.

Last edited by Julian658; 12-26-2019 at 08:09 AM..

Old 12-26-2019, 07:42 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,910,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Kara:

I respectfully have to say you do not get the profound significance of the story. Tribal or group differences are often set aside when the two opposing groups adopt a common cause or culture. This is extremely important in a wold that is becoming multicultural and at the same time highly segregated.
No, you didn't get that I stopped listening after a few words. I couldn't get the story because I didn't listen to the story. Geeze. Pay attention.

Old 12-27-2019, 07:45 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Kara:

I respectfully have to say you do not get the profound significance of the story. Tribal or group differences are often set aside when the two opposing groups adopt a common cause or culture. This is extremely important in a world that is becoming multicultural and at the same time highly segregated.
Oh the Christmas Truce? Yes. It is surprising to me (as i study military history) just how much little Personal animosity there is between opposing soldiers. The same in the US Civil war when as soon as they had stopped decimating each other and started a truce they'd get together, chat, swap tobacco, newspapers. And the same in Napoleonic times in the Iberia peninsula between the British and French troops. It's not Personal. And I find that hopeful.
I agreed with Jesus -loving baptist that a case can be made that religion is not the cause or basis of all wars. Rather, I would say that it is a handy motivator.

Old 12-27-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Oh the Christmas Truce? Yes. It is surprising to me (as i study military history) just how much little Personal animosity there is between opposing soldiers. The same in the US Civil war when as soon as they had stopped decimating each other and started a truce they'd get together, chat, swap tobacco, newspapers. And the same in Napoleonic times in the Iberia peninsula between the British and French troops. It's not Personal. And I find that hopeful.
I agreed with Jesus -loving baptist that a case can be made that religion is not the cause or basis of all wars. Rather, I would say that it is a handy motivator.
It is refreshing to see a member of the tribe that has an open mind and is able to see the opposite tribe. However, in doing so you may earn the scorn of fellow tribesmen.

Quote:
“He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them. But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion... Nor is it enough that he should hear the opinions of adversaries from his own teachers, presented as they state them, and accompanied by what they offer as refutations. He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them...he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.”
JSM

Old 12-27-2019, 09:20 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,591,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Its why I will not change the presentation on how the universe works. If we are going to send our children to kill other children, do it with the truth in hand. As soon as science needs to be obscured ... You better be offering money.

Old 12-28-2019, 11:28 PM

10,535 posts, read 6,171,323 times
Seasons Greetings all.
I'm a bit late to the game as I'm on vacation.

Sincerely wishing you all peace, joy and love in 2020.

(Can't beat a bit of John Lennon BTW. He's from my hometown where loving John, Paul, George and Ringo is practically mandatory. )

Old 12-30-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itzpapalotl View Post
Yeah, what could be more horrific than a story about putting aside each other's differences and coming together to celebrate Christmas whilst remembering those who are dear to us and exchanging gifts.
I didn't watch it in the first place!!! It's okay that you guys are not paying attention to what I'm saying; it's not sufficiently important to anyone but me. Even on a second try I had to stop watching that video, at the point where the broader camera angle revealed that man in a dark, empty stage.

The popular media and the internet is full of creepy, sort of frightening images. I have to try and avoid these as much as possible, because they upset me and trouble my dreams. Scary movies and tv shows are out of the question.

I am aware this is not a problem for most people, who are not troubled by these sensitivities. Maybe it's a function of being an artist or being around children a lot. I can handle it but I'd rather not.

Old 12-30-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Thanks for posting this. What a waste for John to be lost like that. I still resent it and miss him.

Old 12-31-2019, 08:00 AM

Is wishing Happy New Year still considered OK speech? I say so because the calendar was designed by Christians.

Quote:
The Gregorian calendar is the calendar used in most of the world.[1] It is named after Pope Gregory XIII, who introduced it in October 1582.

The calendar spaces leap years to make the average year 365.2425 days long, approximating the 365.2422-day tropical year that is determined by the Earth's revolution around the Sun.
WIKI

Old 12-31-2019, 09:33 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:

Is wishing Happy New Year still considered OK speech? I say so because the calendar was designed by Christians.

WIKI
We'll let that pass, but just mention a Joyous New year and we'll have you hauled in for atheist re-education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism