Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2020, 09:27 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,342,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
yea, guess why they made up the clergy project
Thanks, that is what i am trying to say. I once met a Franciscan monk on a flight from DC to Rome. We talked for the entire flight and he admitted he was no longer a believer, but had a strong calling to serve the poor in Nairobi, Africa. Whether God was real or not made no difference, he was 100% dedicated to his missionary work. This is what I describe as level II atheism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2020, 06:14 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Thanks, that is what i am trying to say. I once met a Franciscan monk on a flight from DC to Rome. We talked for the entire flight and he admitted he was no longer a believer, but had a strong calling to serve the poor in Nairobi, Africa. Whether God was real or not made no difference, he was 100% dedicated to his missionary work. This is what I describe as level II atheism.
he probably believes in "something more" its just that he sees religions take on it as woefully incomplete and lacking in a willingness to change with new observations.

god is what god is. Fundy theist and anti-god ers don't tell the universe how to behave.

we must stay focused on fundy theist and anti-goders having some of their points correct. They both can have parts of their argument correct and still not be the best set of truths we have.

People need to dump the fundy theist and anti-god claims that we are either with them or against them. That kind of thinking ends up hurting far more people than it helps.

my evidence: theist and ant-theist states.

Old 01-11-2020, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
he probably believes in "something more" its just that he sees religions take on it as woefully incomplete and lacking in a willingness to change with new observations.

god is what god is. Fundy theist and anti-god ers don't tell the universe how to behave.

we must stay focused on fundy theist and anti-goders having some of their points correct. They both can have parts of their argument correct and still not be the best set of truths we have.

People need to dump the fundy theist and anti-god claims that we are either with them or against them. That kind of thinking ends up hurting far more people than it helps.

my evidence: theist and ant-theist states.
What a great post!

Old 01-11-2020, 10:22 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
My wife is a feminist, but that would be old school feminism. She expects men to take care of business and recognizes the positives associated with being a woman. She says that women measure their status by comparing themselves to hyper achieving men (CEOS, Nation leaders, billionaires, ect) which are a dime a dozen. Most men are average and struggling as much as women.

The Jefferson quote applies: The Church is stuck in antiquity and may very well remain there. The issue is that many love the old ways. The catholic Church is built on old traditions and they feel that if the traditions disappear then there is no Catholic Church.
Might be different definitions of feminist or perhaps some other form of confusion, but my wife expects any adult, man or woman, to take care of business and certainly recognizes (and exudes) the positives associated with being a women. Nothing really "old school" about that. Clinging to old traditions, ways of doing and thinking that have been a problem for women a long time now is certainly not in line with being a feminist in any case.

Simply put, the definition of feminism is "the advocacy of women's rights on the basis of the equality of the sexes." Overcoming the "old school" ways of thinking about women are what feminism is really all about.

It is a timeless truth that the older generation prefers the traditions and status quo they become accustomed to and the next generation moves us forward ever so slowly but surely, away from our old backward ways. It's a bit like watching the hour hand of a clock...

Old 01-11-2020, 10:23 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
We all do it to some extent, but you seem to be more into labeling people than most.

Old 01-11-2020, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Many priests go through a phase of atheism. And then one day they realize that whether God is real or not is moot and they remain priests. Others simply leave the priesthood. The Church is mostly based on traditions and rituals and these seem to be enough for many. The pews are full of agnostics if you visit a church where the parishioners are highly educated.

The Pope said atheists are fine:

Here is Bill Maher a well known atheist interviewing a priest in the Vatican. This is what I mean by prioests that get it. However, you will never find an evangelical like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sy1lPOzDvs4
That clip is from Bill Maher's documentary "Religulous" which I saw some time ago. Worth seeing in my opinion.

When it comes to spirituality, what people tend to believe (or not) and why is a very interesting dynamic that more often than not defies clear common understanding...

Old 01-11-2020, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
That has nothing to do with atheism.
I was referring to your comment "Agreed. Organizations eventually try to further their own needs, rather than the needs of the people they represent."

Term limits, as in "new blood" is needed in all organizations where it seems interests become entrenched and corruption tends to follow. With all due respect, I think that has plenty to do with the topic of this thread.

Old 01-11-2020, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Might be different definitions of feminist or perhaps some other form of confusion, but my wife expects any adult, man or woman, to take care of business and certainly recognizes (and exudes) the positives associated with being a women. Nothing really "old school" about that. Clinging to old traditions, ways of doing and thinking that have been a problem for women a long time now is certainly not in line with being a feminist in any case.

Simply put, the definition of feminism is "the advocacy of women's rights on the basis of the equality of the sexes." Overcoming the "old school" ways of thinking about women are what feminism is really all about.

It is a timeless truth that the older generation prefers the traditions and status quo they become accustomed to and the next generation moves us forward ever so slowly but surely, away from our old backward ways. It's a bit like watching the hour hand of a clock...
I don't disagree with that. However, my wife suggests that men and women should have distinct roles in society, that is how she grew up and she does not see it as oppression. In a sense is clinging to tradition, you are correct. As a man I prefer a traditional wife. IN fact many Western men are looking for Asian, Hispanic, and Eastern European women because they seem more traditional than typical Western females.

Old 01-11-2020, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
That clip is from Bill Maher's documentary "Religulous" which I saw some time ago. Worth seeing in my opinion.

When it comes to spirituality, what people tend to believe (or not) and why is a very interesting dynamic that more often than not defies clear common understanding...
Note, how the priest agrees with Maher. I give kudos to Maher for keeping the scene on the movie.

Old 01-11-2020, 12:20 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,907,940 times
Quote:
Note, how the priest agrees with Maher. I give kudos to Maher for keeping the scene on the movie.
Maher is a little too rough for my taste sometimes but, I think in the same film, he confronted a half dozen or so very large conservative men in a trailer, around the time (?) they were doing religious services. It's unkind to put it this way, but these were very large, redneck guys, and one was particularly aggressive.

Maher is not tall, but he stood his ground and did not appear to be afraid. He was being very blunt and critical and they could easily have hurt him. He went to Cornell but he is one tough little New York dude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism