Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 07:46 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,188,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paullySC View Post
Christians believe in God created the universe
Atheist believe in the THEORY of the big bang

Both are belief systems whether you want to admit it or not.
In science, a theory is something that has evidence to support it. The time it takes for the planets to revolve around the sun is also a theory. Are you going to deny the validity of that?

And no, atheism is not a belief system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 07:47 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,494,841 times
I was raised in a religious family. I tried to believe, I tried to FEEL what the others do or SAY they do. BUT I just don't. Its that simple.

For a god to touch my heart, they would need to come to me personally. I am the kind of person who needs to see it to believe it. Its that simple.

I don't believe in things that are BASED on emotion.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:13 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,740,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
In science, a theory is something that has evidence to support it. The time it takes for the planets to revolve around the sun is also a theory. Are you going to deny the validity of that?

And no, atheism is not a belief system.
Atheism is a belief system. Many atheist blindly accept theory as fact.

Christians can't prove to you God exist.
You can't prove to them the big bang happened.

Both Christians and atheist have the same two or three arguments. It really does get old.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:15 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,188,664 times
Quote:

Both Christians and atheist have the same two or three arguments. It really does get old.
You are so wrong, I don't even know where to begin.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:33 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,474,184 times
Quote:

Atheism is a specific belief about the notion of whether a theistic God exists, and not a belief system. A religion is more likely to be a 'system' because it is more likely to be comprised of a set of related beliefs about God, the origin of the universe, a system of morality, a social program, etc.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
Atheism is a specific belief about the notion of whether a theistic God exists, and not a belief system. A religion is more likely to be a 'system' because it is more likely to be comprised of a set of related beliefs about God, the origin of the universe, a system of morality, a social program, etc.
This is why I have always hestitated to identify myself as a certain thing. I don't accept theory as fact. I need to see proof, not what MIGHT be so I can embrass what might be fantasy.

I look at my way of thought as a "lack of belief system". There are alot of things I think are posible, everything from communicating with the dead to past lives to beings on other planets. I think thats posible, I don't think its likely however. Its even posible that there is a god out there, is it alah, budha? I don't know, its posible but I have never seen any proof.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:26 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,339,805 times
I really don't think about the beginning of the universe as it exists now.

Why would I spend my time thinking about something that I don't really matter to me. (I'm quite buddhist in this aspect of my world view).

As an atheist, I believe that my life is here and now. What I do here and now counts. Nothing else.

I don't need any excuse or reason based on a fairytale to live my life to the fullest.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:55 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,261,163 times
Originally Posted by grace_explosion
Quote:
If God totally revealed Himself to you as God and touched your heart and caused you to believe
What makes you assume that God hasn't?
I just don't believe that God is an old man in the Sky who scripts the life of each individual.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I really don't think about the beginning of the universe as it exists now.

Why would I spend my time thinking about something that I don't really matter to me. (I'm quite buddhist in this aspect of my world view).

As an atheist, I believe that my life is here and now. What I do here and now counts. Nothing else.

I don't need any excuse or reason based on a fairytale to live my life to the fullest.
I feel the same way, I don't think about how the world started or who started it. I don't feel like I have to have an answer to everything.

My life is about here and now. I feel alot more healthy since taking that attitude as well.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:23 AM

97 posts, read 203,830 times
I think if anyone is born again with living faith, that we're talking about the same Jesus. It's just a question therefore if you see Jesus at a 20% level, 30% level, 40% level - or whatever level depending on how clearly you see Him.... since we see through the glass darkly until we see Him clearly (face to face).

I see Jesus at the 100% level. The atoning sacrifice of Jesus was 100%. He's 100% Grace. He's 1oo% Love. He's 100% Savior. He's 100% capable of releasing 100% faith in 100% grace in 100% love as a 100% Savior to 100% of the people - because He atoned for 100% of the people.

I think if you see Jesus and are born-again... since I see Jesus and am born-again... that we see the same Jesus. It's just maybe you don't see Him as BIG or as GREAT as I see Him. Maybe you only see Him 10% for all I know. But I wouldn't say you're not saved and don't know Jesus... if you say you are saved and know Jesus. I'm not that rude or divisive.

Grace and peace.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
You have a pleasant theology, grace_explosion... the only problem is, I'm afraid you're talking about https://www.city-data.com/forum/chris...her-jesus.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism