Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 11:49 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,317,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by DayoftheLordYou only I see Jesus in every kind action or in every person that is in need.
And I see the easter bunny whenever I eat chocolate and/or hardboiled eggs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 11:49 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,399,717 times
Christians will generally deny the existence of the Mayan, Hindu, Ancient Roman, Ancient Greek, Ancient Egyptian, Ancient Sumerian, Sikh, and many hundreds of other Gods and Goddesses, even as they assert their belief in the Christian Trinity. Thus, the difference between a typical Christian and a typical Atheist is numerically small: The strong Atheist believes that none of the many thousands of Gods and Goddesses exist; the Christian believes that one God exists in a certain structure -- a Trinity -- whereas all of the other thousands of deities are nonexistent, artificial creations by humans. Although the numerical difference is much less that 0.1%, the philosophical difference is immense.

I think I agree with this. I read it on ReligiousTolerance.org by the Ontario Consultants on Religious Tolerance. What others have said here is also correct in that we all think alike most of the time. We all think that there are thousands of deities that are nonexistent, artificial creations by humans.

Last edited by RMoore007; 05-20-2008 at 11:50 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 05-21-2008, 12:10 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,258,547 times
Originally Posted by Marodi
Quote:
Isn't freedom of religion great?
It beats calling others nutcases (or blasphemers) for not believing the same things that I believe.

Last edited by Tricky D; 05-21-2008 at 12:37 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 05-21-2008, 03:49 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,335,015 times
I believe Day of the Lord blasphemes with his screen name.

Old 05-21-2008, 04:05 AM

8,003 posts, read 12,306,913 times
Moderator cut:

I believe all the name calling has to stop. That would include taking shots at other member's beliefs in an unrespectful way, or ridiculing.

June does not want to have to close this thread, but we've got to keep it civil, folks...

Okay?

Thanks!

Old 05-21-2008, 05:27 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,258,547 times
Originally Posted by Marodi
Quote:
The thing is that seeing the easter bunny whenever you eat chocalate and / or hardboiled eggs compared to the advice of a spiritual leader to his followers to not use condoms is harmless.
Calling someone insane just because he does not believe whatever it is that you believe is not harmless.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:47 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,461,324 times
Christians reject hundreds of gods.

When you Christians understand why you reject all of these other gods, you will understand precisely why I reject yours.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:57 AM

123 posts, read 304,168 times
Skoro, is your point of view that all one needs to do in life is not hurt the other fellow living creature? Some people just can't help it, or is it that the Golden Rule is just for those school ninnies?

Old 05-21-2008, 08:08 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,446,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
Christians reject hundreds of gods.

When you Christians understand why you reject all of these other gods, you will understand precisely why I reject yours.
Christians reject all other god's, other than the one true God.

So you reject the one true God because of...?

Old 05-21-2008, 09:02 AM

85 posts, read 415,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
Christians reject all other god's, other than the one true God.

So you reject the one true God because of...?
Because we don't believe that there is such a thing which you refer to as the "one true God."

I also think that "reject" isn't the right word. "Reject" implies that there is such a thing and we just refuse to accept it. If there was a one true God, we would be fools to reject it. We aren't "rejecting God," we just don't believe that any god, true or false, exists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism