Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2021, 07:11 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,649,498 times

Advertisements

To me, any atheist that imparts atheist beliefs, things like an atheist creed, on to a child is as guilty of abuse (statement of belief about god based indoctrination) as any fundy theist.

To actually give the gift of a choice to a child, we give all perspectives. Hiding behind "I don't have to say anything" is guilt by omission. Its actually willful negligence, and when done to a child, its border line abuse. At the very least its a parent not doing their job.

My kids are atheist today. I talk to them about evidence based beliefs like I talk here about evidence based beliefs. Of course with them, we are allowed to use all data and all lines of logic. I would never "abuse" my child with teh statement "that doesn't get us anywhere". .

Atheism is far stronger than many of the "real atheist" I see here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2021, 08:27 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,284,766 times
I would recommend buying a copy of The Fall Of Freddie the Leaf by Leo Buscaglia. It's a children's story about life and death.

Old 07-25-2021, 02:24 PM

88,885 posts, read 85,369,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
So it will be too much for her to take if you can't give a defnitiive answer to your child about one of the biggest unknowns to humans?

You need to think then about ALL the other things you don't have answers to and how you'll respond! Do you know why water is blue and the sky is blue? Do you KNOW why one person has cancer and the person next to them doesn't? There are MANY unknown things in science and in life - maybe your best answer is to let them know how to study and to look up the known answers and also how to keep an open mind about all the rest that isn't known.
Well...we DO know why the sky is blue.

Old 07-25-2021, 03:49 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,474,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well...we DO know why the sky is blue.
...I'm referring to questions in general where a PARENT is asked but doesn't know the answer. Do they make one up? Or do they tell the kid to "look it up"? Some "answers" are also actually theories that are updated over time and what we accept as fact at one point is not. Again, teach kids how to do research and how to think critically. And don't make up crap answers.

Old 07-26-2021, 05:37 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,649,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
...I'm referring to questions in general where a PARENT is asked but doesn't know the answer. Do they make one up? Or do they tell the kid to "look it up"? Some "answers" are also actually theories that are updated over time and what we accept as fact at one point is not. Again, teach kids how to do research and how to think critically. And don't make up crap answers.
'I don't know, some people think there is."
"maybe there is."

crap answers, to me, is focusing on having to be true to atheism/theism over helping to "program" the child.

Old 07-28-2021, 09:26 AM

1,065 posts, read 715,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
'I don't know, some people think there is."
"maybe there is."

crap answers, to me, is focusing on having to be true to atheism/theism over helping to "program" the child.
I figure if my daughter one days asks me what happens when you die, I'll give her an honest answer, "I don't know".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism