Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2021, 03:30 PM

3,422 posts, read 1,837,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
exactly. I also see it come down to 1/2 truths and base axioms. A base axiom (or red flag statement) is the notion we can put "above" what the person said and see how the statement(s) makes perfect sense when taken to "answering to" the red flag statement.

So how can we tell? What process do we deploy to see what is what and who is who?
I say that all the time. "There were red flags going off everywhere." Yes. Yes!

I was totally okay with the living arrangement, except that I had to ultimately leave, too many "tells" and I basically let my actions say, "Hey, if you're going to keep making me feel like doo-doo, I'm out." Plus I knew I was being lied to, just constantly being "fenced" with on the intelligence aspect. Even that was "I am more intelligent than you." Which circles back to the belittling etc... His whole attitude changed when he saw that I really did believe in God, can back it up in various ways, and am not afraid to admit when I have to take something on Faith.

- If you are 20 years sober.. Then why did you get really drunk last night, and the ad for the room has a nice tall bottle of Corona on the porch table almost exactly like an ad for the drink would be on TV, just at your house? This, to me, is a "tell." Or "Red flag."

You know when someone is not being truthful with you.

Then you wanted me to pay cash for the room. No receipts, cash only. No, bro............. (Even though a "receipt book" does NOT hold up in a Court of Law anyways, that is why paying with a check is a little more conclusive. "Check #1651, $400, payable to Robert _______ (is that your real name?? Hmm..) Rent June 1-June 30th 2021." Deposit of that would indicate what it was for...

I think this person WAS just a jerk, yes, but then also the constant belittling part. Are you all saying that that is NOT typically what someone with a huge grudge or chip on their shoulder towards religion (this person also stated as fact that George Bush did 9-11 and Catholic Priests helped tell him to get that done for control purposes... like, whoa) and that's not something you would usually encounter, I just got a jerk? (Alcoholic scam artist jerk from Craigslist?)

Last edited by PatrioticSuperman; 08-08-2021 at 04:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2021, 05:45 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrioticSuperman View Post
I actually did state this to the person.. I flatly said, "I'm not going to stop believing in God for you."

Now turn that same sentiment around.

Old 08-08-2021, 09:07 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,632,742 times
Quote:
I say that all the time. "There were red flags going off everywhere." Yes. Yes!

I was totally okay with the living arrangement, except that I had to ultimately leave, too many "tells" and I basically let my actions say, "Hey, if you're going to keep making me feel like doo-doo, I'm out." Plus I knew I was being lied to, just constantly being "fenced" with on the intelligence aspect. Even that was "I am more intelligent than you." Which circles back to the belittling etc... His whole attitude changed when he saw that I really did believe in God, can back it up in various ways, and am not afraid to admit when I have to take something on Faith.

- If you are 20 years sober.. Then why did you get really drunk last night, and the ad for the room has a nice tall bottle of Corona on the porch table almost exactly like an ad for the drink would be on TV, just at your house? This, to me, is a "tell." Or "Red flag."

You know when someone is not being truthful with you.

Then you wanted me to pay cash for the room. No receipts, cash only. No, bro............. (Even though a "receipt book" does NOT hold up in a Court of Law anyways, that is why paying with a check is a little more conclusive. "Check #1651, $400, payable to Robert _______ (is that your real name?? Hmm..) Rent June 1-June 30th 2021." Deposit of that would indicate what it was for...

I think this person WAS just a jerk, yes, but then also the constant belittling part. Are you all saying that that is NOT typically what someone with a huge grudge or chip on their shoulder towards religion (this person also stated as fact that George Bush did 9-11 and Catholic Priests helped tell him to get that done for control purposes... like, whoa) and that's not something you would usually encounter, I just got a jerk? (Alcoholic scam artist jerk from Craigslist?)
At the last monthly Official Atheist Rules meeting, we did discuss adding a requirement about insisting Catholic priests helped George Bush do 9-11 at least every 3rd spoken sentence, but alas, it was voted down.

Old 08-08-2021, 09:34 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
At the last monthly Official Atheist Rules meeting, we did discuss adding a requirement about insisting Catholic priests helped George Bush do 9-11 at least every 3rd spoken sentence, but alas, it was voted down.
I guess the death of FDNY chaplain Fr. Mychal Judge was a big oopsie and they're a little embarrassed.

Old 08-09-2021, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I guess the death of FDNY chaplain Fr. Mychal Judge was a big oopsie and they're a little embarrassed.
Oh, I called the individual out on his conspiracy theory. Right there in the living room. You actually did come to mind.

We were moving a mile a minute, but all I really said was.. "Until you realize just how many resources and planning it would take.." I was trying to be subtle. But this person was stating like it was a fact, like Goldfish snack crackers have a lot of salt and sodium.

I realized pretty quick that all this guy had was narrow-angle ridiculousness; whereas, I am capable of more thought, akin to the post Rachel New York seems to have deleted from another thread at 8:03a.m. this morning.

Old 08-09-2021, 07:49 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,347,511 times
Quote:
This is my first foray into this forum. I am a Christian (as in. I would say I am a Baptist; moreso, that, I have a personal relationship with God. I do not presently attend Church...) and

I have had someone living rent-free in my head for a couple weeks now, pretty much as the title says..

Firmly believes there is NO god, people that believe in God are stupid and simple-minded, etc etc.

This discussion bothered me enough that I decided I did not want to live in that house, but.. The idea seems to be, that, truly scientific people would find no reason to believe in God (specifically Christianity, though these people are less dismissive of other religions) etc etc.

So. I thought I would pose it to the forum.

Is the "You're stupid if you believe in God" part really necessary? I did also come to the conclusion that the person was an alcoholic, jerk, probably scam artist, and definitely had control issues (making them well suited to run a scam. Control everything. True sociopath. The ones to run from.)

?
"Stupid," as defined by Wikipedia.

Wikipedia
Stupid
Stupidity is a lack of intelligence, understanding, reason, or wit. It may be innate, assumed or reactive. The word stupid comes from the Latin word stupere.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stupidity

So, the standard to which a person may be considered "stupid" is judged as a lack of intelligence, associated with the inability to understand and reason.

"Reason," as defined by Wikipedia.

Wikipedia
Reason
Reason is the capacity of consciously applying logic to seek truth and draw conclusions from new or existing information.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reason

The ability to reason effectively is directly associated with the ability to consider and examine the information that one is seeking to draw conclusions from. We are all born ignorant. Ignorance is not NECESSARILY an indication of a lack of intelligence. The conclusions one makes is necessarily limited by the information one is using to base their conclusions on. Unfounded information inevitably leads to unfounded conclusions.

For example, in the "If there's a 'caring' deity, how do you 'explain' the problem of an apparently 'indifferent' God/Nature?" string you wrote:

"Beings were created with free will.. that is, to accept or reject God.

Lucifer was one of these beings."

I responded "Where exactly did you get this information?"

A simple but relevant question surely, since the source of your information is directly related to your assertion that beings, including Lucifer, were created with free will. An apparent statement of fact on your part, as opposed to, say, "It's true because I say so." Or "It's true because that is what I choose to believe." Neither of which can be considered actively attempting to "consciously apply logic to seek truth and draw conclusions from new or existing information."

So I will ask you again. Where exactly did you get the information which indicates that beings, including Lucifer, were created with free will?

Old 08-09-2021, 08:57 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
This is my first foray into this forum. I am a Christian (as in. I would say I am a Baptist; moreso, that, I have a personal relationship with God. I do not presently attend Church...) and

I have had someone living rent-free in my head for a couple weeks now, pretty much as the title says..

Firmly believes there is NO god, people that believe in God are stupid and simple-minded, etc etc.

This discussion bothered me enough that I decided I did not want to live in that house, but.. The idea seems to be, that, truly scientific people would find no reason to believe in God (specifically Christianity, though these people are less dismissive of other religions) etc etc.

So. I thought I would pose it to the forum.

Is the "You're stupid if you believe in God" part really necessary? I did also come to the conclusion that the person was an alcoholic, jerk, probably scam artist, and definitely had control issues (making them well suited to run a scam. Control everything. True sociopath. The ones to run from.)

?
I don't think stupid is an appropriate descriptor, but foolish might be.

Old 08-09-2021, 10:52 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,737,785 times
People who say there is NO GOD and are actually quite insulting on the matter..

Do you feel insulted when someone says "there is no god"?

I will say that the person you are talking about does seem very unpleasant. However, you are venting to people who had nothing to do with anything that happened, so I can't help wondering why.

Old 08-10-2021, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
"Stupid," as defined by Wikipedia.

Wikipedia
Stupid
Stupidity is a lack of intelligence, understanding, reason, or wit. It may be innate, assumed or reactive. The word stupid comes from the Latin word stupere.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stupidity

So, the standard to which a person may be considered "stupid" is judged as a lack of intelligence, associated with the inability to understand and reason.

"Reason," as defined by Wikipedia.

Wikipedia
Reason
Reason is the capacity of consciously applying logic to seek truth and draw conclusions from new or existing information.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reason

The ability to reason effectively is directly associated with the ability to consider and examine the information that one is seeking to draw conclusions from. We are all born ignorant. Ignorance is not NECESSARILY an indication of a lack of intelligence. The conclusions one makes is necessarily limited by the information one is using to base their conclusions on. Unfounded information inevitably leads to unfounded conclusions.

For example, in the "If there's a 'caring' deity, how do you 'explain' the problem of an apparently 'indifferent' God/Nature?" string you wrote:

"Beings were created with free will.. that is, to accept or reject God.

Lucifer was one of these beings."

I responded "Where exactly did you get this information?"

A simple but relevant question surely, since the source of your information is directly related to your assertion that beings, including Lucifer, were created with free will. An apparent statement of fact on your part, as opposed to, say, "It's true because I say so." Or "It's true because that is what I choose to believe." Neither of which can be considered actively attempting to "consciously apply logic to seek truth and draw conclusions from new or existing information."

So I will ask you again. Where exactly did you get the information which indicates that beings, including Lucifer, were created with free will?
The book of Genesis indicates that Lucifer was a head angel, in charge of praise and worship to God before iniquity was found in him. He obviously had the freedom to think he was ABOVE God.

Sorry I missed your post and sorry for the delayed reply.

Old 08-10-2021, 10:29 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,347,511 times
Quote:
The book of Genesis indicates that Lucifer was a head angel, in charge of praise and worship to God before iniquity was found in him. He obviously had the freedom to think he was ABOVE God.

Sorry I missed your post and sorry for the delayed reply.
Coincidentally I just happen to have a Bible here at my desk which contains The Book of Genesis. The Book of Genesis is subdivided into chapters and verses. Please provide the chapter and verse from the Book of Genesis that "indicates that Lucifer was a head angel, in charge of praise and worship to God before iniquity was found in him."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism