Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2021, 05:47 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,571,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I understand and I agree. I am sorry you took them personally. It cannot be excused, but it can be explained by the fact that every single one of the accusations you think was directed at you, were made by the atheists here in the forum. That does not excuse Arach from misattributing them to you, but it does explain his reference to them. You have every right to be offended at being accused of them.
When does it become the responsibility of somebody to learn? and not just tell others they wrong. When does it become an issue in a belief forum when all a person is doing is only discussing deity religions and anything else doesn't matter. In a forum ABOUT BELIEFS.

Learn about why we hold out beliefs. Look at ourselves and ask, how am I forming my beliefs and how does that compare to how "they" are forming theirs? Talk about all beliefs to find out.

I feel, practice what we preach is better than all I have to do is tell you you are wrong. A standpoint the most "religion-ist" types don't get. Weather they are atheist or theist is secondary to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2021, 06:02 AM

17,778 posts, read 13,673,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrioticSuperman View Post
This is my first foray into this forum. I am a Christian (as in. I would say I am a Baptist; moreso, that, I have a personal relationship with God. I do not presently attend Church...) and

I have had someone living rent-free in my head for a couple weeks now, pretty much as the title says..

Firmly believes there is NO god, people that believe in God are stupid and simple-minded, etc etc.

This discussion bothered me enough that I decided I did not want to live in that house, but.. The idea seems to be, that, truly scientific people would find no reason to believe in God (specifically Christianity, though these people are less dismissive of other religions) etc etc.

So. I thought I would pose it to the forum.

Is the "You're stupid if you believe in God" part really necessary? I did also come to the conclusion that the person was an alcoholic, jerk, probably scam artist, and definitely had control issues (making them well suited to run a scam. Control everything. True sociopath. The ones to run from.)

?
It'd be fun to hear the other guy's version of this story. Not saying that this guy isn't an alcoholic, jerk, scam artist, sociopath with control issues...

That being said, I generally don't tell a believer that it's "stupid" to believe in God for the same reason I don't tell a five year old it's "stupid" to believe in Santa Claus.

Old 08-14-2021, 06:31 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,347,738 times
Quote:
This is my first foray into this forum. I am a Christian (as in. I would say I am a Baptist; moreso, that, I have a personal relationship with God. I do not presently attend Church...) and
I suspect that PatrioticSuperman's "foray" into the atheist forum is over. That didn't take long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1jF2gt3CPQ

Old 08-15-2021, 05:45 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
For those who are confused, I have some backstory, since the OP lives in my state and has posted on the state forum.

He hates our state and decided to move out of it. He went west somewhere and rented a room from someone who apparently does not like Christians, which the OP is. The OP moved back to Jersey. I don't think that was that was the only reason. This all happened so fast that we didn't even know he had left in the first place.

Old 08-15-2021, 12:15 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
When does it become the responsibility of somebody to learn? and not just tell others they wrong. When does it become an issue in a belief forum when all a person is doing is only discussing deity religions and anything else doesn't matter. In a forum ABOUT BELIEFS.

Learn about why we hold out beliefs. Look at ourselves and ask, how am I forming my beliefs and how does that compare to how "they" are forming theirs? Talk about all beliefs to find out.

I feel, practice what we preach is better than all I have to do is tell you you are wrong. A standpoint the most "religion-ist" types don't get. Weather they are atheist or theist is secondary to that.
Your efforts are sincere and true, Arach, but sometimes you misidentify the posters and respond to the stereotypical atheist here instead of the specific person. As an atheist, you are fair, decent, and open-minded, unlike so many others here in the fora. You have an excellent mind, a good grasp of science, and a genuine desire to promote fairness here. Just make sure your posts are targeted at the generic atheist stereotype that dominates here and not at the individual poster you respond to.

Old 08-15-2021, 04:03 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,571,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Your efforts are sincere and true, Arach, but sometimes you misidentify the posters and respond to the stereotypical atheist here instead of the specific person. As an atheist, you are fair, decent, and open-minded, unlike so many others here in the fora. You have an excellent mind, a good grasp of science, and a genuine desire to promote fairness here. Just make sure your posts are targeted at the generic atheist stereotype that dominates here and not at the individual poster you respond to.
A work in progress.

Old 08-18-2021, 06:30 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,347,738 times
Quote:
Thou art the anointed cherub that covereth; and I have set thee so: thou wast upon the holy mountain of God; thou hast walked up and down in the midst of the stones of fire. Thou wast perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee (Ezekiel 28:14,15).
Although I suspect that PatroticSuperman has found it convenient to end his "foray" on the Atheism/Agnosticism forum, lets go ahead and dispense with the misinterpretation that Ezekiel 28 represents a reference to Satan or Lucifer.

Ezek.28
[1] The word of the LORD came again unto me, saying,
[2] Son of man, say unto the prince of Tyrus,
Thus saith the Lord GOD; Because thine heart is lifted up, and thou hast said,
I am a God, I sit in the seat of God, in the midst of the seas; yet thou art a
man, and not God, though thou set thine heart as the heart of God:
[3] Behold, thou art wiser than Daniel; there is no secret that they can hide
from thee:
[4] With thy wisdom and with thine understanding thou hast gotten thee riches,
and hast gotten gold and silver into thy treasures:
[5] By thy great wisdom and by thy traffick hast thou increased thy riches,
and thine heart is lifted up because of thy riches:
[6] Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD; Because thou hast set thine heart as
the heart of God;
[7] Behold, therefore I will bring strangers upon thee, the terrible of the
nations: and they shall draw their swords against the beauty of thy wisdom,
and they shall defile thy brightness.
[8] They shall bring thee down to the pit, and thou shalt die the deaths of
them that are slain in the midst of the seas.
[9] Wilt thou yet say before him that slayeth thee, I am God? but thou shalt
be a man, and no God, in the hand of him that slayeth thee.
[10] Thou shalt die the deaths of the uncircumcised by the hand of strangers:

for I have spoken it, saith the Lord GOD.
[11] Moreover the word of the LORD came unto me, saying,
[12] Son of man, take up a lamentation upon the king of Tyrus, and say unto
him, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Thou sealest up the sum, full of wisdom, and
perfect in beauty.
[13] Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone was thy
covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the
jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the
workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day
that thou wast created.
[14] Thou art the anointed cherub that covereth; and I have set thee so: thou
wast upon the holy mountain of God; thou hast walked up and down in the midst
of the stones of fire.
[15] Thou wast perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till
iniquity was found in thee.
[16] By the multitude of thy merchandise they have filled the midst of thee
with violence, and thou hast sinned: therefore I will cast thee as profane out
of the mountain of God: and I will destroy thee, O covering cherub, from the
midst of the stones of fire.
[17] Thine heart was lifted up because of thy beauty, thou hast corrupted thy
wisdom by reason of thy brightness: I will cast thee to the ground, I will lay
thee before kings, that they may behold thee.
[18] Thou hast defiled thy sanctuaries by the multitude of thine iniquities,
by the iniquity of thy traffick; therefore will I bring forth a fire from the
midst of thee, it shall devour thee, and I will bring thee to ashes upon the
earth in the sight of all them that behold thee.
[19] All they that know thee among the people shall be astonished at thee:
thou shalt be a terror, and never shalt thou be any more.
[20] Again the word of the LORD came unto me, saying,
[21] Son of man, set thy face against Zidon, and prophesy against it,
[22] And say, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I am against thee, O Zidon; and
I will be glorified in the midst of thee: and they shall know that I am the
LORD, when I shall have executed judgments in her, and shall be sanctified in her.
[23] For I will send into her pestilence, and blood into her streets; and the
wounded shall be judged in the midst of her by the sword upon her on every
side; and they shall know that I am the LORD.
[24] And there shall be no more a pricking brier unto the house of Israel, nor
any grieving thorn of all that are round about them, that despised them; and
they shall know that I am the Lord GOD.
[25] Thus saith the Lord GOD; When I shall have gathered the house of Israel
from the people among whom they are scattered, and shall be sanctified in them
in the sight of the heathen, then shall they dwell in their land that I have
given to my servant Jacob.
[26] And they shall dwell safely therein, and shall build houses, and plant
vineyards; yea, they shall dwell with confidence, when I have executed
judgments upon all those that despise them round about them; and they shall
know that I am the LORD their God.

Wikipedia
The King of Tyre
The King of Tyre was the ruler of Tyre, the ancient Phoenician city in what is now Lebanon.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_of_Tyre

Wikipedia
Tyre, Lebanon
Tyre (/ˈtaɪər/; Arabic: صور‎, romanized: Ṣūr; Phoenician: romanized: Ṣūr, Greek Tyros, Τύρος) is one of the oldest continually inhabited cities in the world,[1] though in medieval times for some centuries by just a tiny population. It was one of the earliest Phoenician metropolises and the legendary birthplace of Europa, her brothers Cadmus and Phoenix, as well as Carthage's founder Dido (Elissa). The city has many ancient sites, including the Tyre Hippodrome, and was added as a whole to UNESCO's list of World Heritage Sites in 1984.[2] The historian Ernest Renan noted that "One can call
Tyre a city of ruins, built out of ruins".[3][4]

Etymology
Early names of Tyre include Akkadian Ṣurru, Phoenician Ṣūr, and Hebrew Tzór (צוֹר‎).[10] In Semitic languages, the name of the city means "rock"[11] after the rocky formation on which the town was originally built.

The predominant form in Classical Greek was Týros (Τύρος)[/b], which was first seen in the works of Herodotus but may have been adopted considerably earlier.[10] It gave rise to Latin Tyrus, which entered English during the Middle English period as Tyre.[12] The demonym for Tyre is Tyrian, and the inhabitants are Tyrians.

The Bible makes several references to Tyre: According to Joshua 19:29, Tyre, a "strong city", was allotted to the Tribe of
Asher. King Hiram I of Tyre was a contemporary of David and Solomon in 2 Samuel 5:11, 1 Kings 5:1, and 1 Chronicles 14:1. Tyre is mentioned in the Book of Isaiah (Isaiah 23), the Book of Jeremiah (Jer 25:22, Jer 47:4), the Book of Ezekiel which states that Tyre "will not be inhabited", "no longer exist", "never be found again" and "cease to be
forever",
The Book of Joel (Joel 3:4–8), the Book of Amos (Amos 1:9–10), the Psalms, and the Book of Zechariah (Zechariah 9:3–4), which prophesied its destruction.

Jesus visited the region or "coasts" (King James Version) of Tyre and Sidon (Matthew 15:21; Mark 7:24) and from this region many came forth to hear him preaching (Mark 3:8; Luke 6:17), leading to the stark contrast in Matthew
11:21–23 to his reception in Korazin and Bethsaida.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyre,_Lebanon

What is Ezekiel 28 saying?
Bible Gateway Ezekiel 28 :: NIV. "Son of man, say to the ruler of Tyre, `This is what the Sovereign LORD says: "`In the pride of your heart you say, "I am a god; I sit on the throne of a god in the heart of the seas." But you are a man and not a god, though you think you are as wise as a god.
https://www.google.com/search?
q=Ezek.28&rlz=1C1GGRV_enUS751US751&oq=Ezek.28&aqs= chrome..69i57j0i10i30l4j0i30
j0i10i30l3j0i8i30.7671j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Who is the Prince of Tyre in the Bible?
Hiram, also called Huram, or Ahiram, Phoenician king of Tyre (reigned 969–936 bc), who appears in the Bible as an ally of the Israelite kings David and Solomon.

What is Tyre in the Bible?
The city-state was the most powerful in all of Phoenicia after surpassing its sister state Sidon. Tyre is referenced in the Bible in the New Testament where it is claimed that both Jesus and St. Paul visited the city and remains famous
in military history for Alexander the Great's seige.
https://www.google.com/search?

Last edited by Tired of the Nonsense; 08-18-2021 at 06:47 AM..

Old 05-11-2022, 10:36 AM

3,171 posts, read 1,273,154 times
Also when a non-believer says he is atheist or agnostic, he is shamed by believers.

Last edited by The Grandeur; 05-11-2022 at 10:50 AM..

Old 05-11-2022, 09:17 PM

10,529 posts, read 6,160,089 times
Quote:

I have had someone living rent-free in my head for a couple weeks now, pretty much as the title says..

Firmly believes there is NO god, people that believe in God are stupid and simple-minded, etc etc.

This discussion bothered me enough that I decided I did not want to live in that house, but.. The idea seems to be, that, truly scientific people would find no reason to believe in God (specifically Christianity, though these people are less dismissive of other religions) etc etc.

So. I thought I would pose it to the forum.

Is the "You're stupid if you believe in God" part really necessary? I did also come to the conclusion that the person was an alcoholic, jerk, probably scam artist, and definitely had control issues (making them well suited to run a scam. Control everything. True sociopath. The ones to run from.)

?
Saying 'there is no god' is not an insult.

Calling someone stupid and simple minded is definitely an insult. Don't associate with people that call you names.
Simple really.

Old 05-11-2022, 09:34 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
When I was a boy in the Methodist church, one of the favorite hymns was "Are Ye Able":
"Are ye able," said the Master,
"To be crucified with me?"
"Yea," the sturdy dreamers answered,
"To the death we follow Thee."

I guess since the 1950s that level of resolve has collapsed. I have a hard time believing that many of our christian posters here would be willing to be crucified with "the Master" when they can't even handle a little criticism. Before retiring from the principalship, I admit not really liking criticism, but at the same time I knew that it helped me make better decisions that were based on a wider perspective than my own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism