Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2021, 03:39 PM

895 posts, read 476,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
see post 339 and 340.
and more posts from atheists in this thread: see post 17 and 19. and from post 32 "with atheism there is no struggle. you just know things."
from post 116 "some forms of atheism may be belief systems. but for a lot of people it is not a belief system". posts 121 and 124 express the view that evidence is relevant and intrinsic and essential to what is atheism. because "if there were clear evidence then there would be no atheism" post 128 states "atheism is based on the evidence we have."
I went back and read each one you listed and man have you misunderstood or mischaracterized each one. Not One person said their Atheism is a belief system, Not ONE. Instead they gave room for what other atheists , MIGHT believe, but didn't not suggest they believe themselves, nor clam other atheists DO have an atheist belief system. Most of us understand we don't have the right to declare what other people believe or don't, like you just can't get seem to accept.

They state Atheism would not exist if there was evidence for the claimed deities, because logically non-belief would be replaced with belief, universally.

"you just know things." This is NOT an example of belief (I.e. "I just KNOW god exists"), this person is saying they operate from knowable knowledge INSTEAD of faith based belief in lieu of knowledge.

Everyone of those posts, gives other atheists room to believe or not believe, but no where says that's what they do believe.

You are trying soooo hard to turn non-belief into belief, because then you'd have something that can actually be inspected and debated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2021, 03:44 PM

22,423 posts, read 19,304,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I haven't seen any of them say that atheism is anything beyond not believing in God.
see post 339 and 340. and more posts from atheists in this thread: see post 17 and 19. and from post 32 "with atheism there is no struggle. you just know things." from post 116 "some forms of atheism may be belief systems. but for a lot of people it is not a belief system". posts 121 and 124 express the view that evidence is relevant and intrinsic and essential to what is atheism. because "if there were clear evidence then there would be no atheism" post 128 states "atheism is based on the evidence we have."

post 149 reports, "There have been more threads on what the definition of atheism is than I've had hot dinners. Trust me, I've even argued for dozens of pages with fellow atheists about what an atheist is, and it is never completely resolved, which is why I can no longer be bothered to argue about it."

atheist in post 161 believes there is a problem with reliance on definitions. "there's a book on atheism you can buy on Amazon called "Atheism: The Basics", which goes on for 190 pages. In fact, there are 50 pages of books that you can buy on Amazon that deal with atheism.I'm not saying that definitions are unimportant. But definitions are like a grain of sand on a beach to understanding what are, often, very complex topics."

from post 163 "of course atheism is a belief system" "because there is no empirical proof for or against." from post 243 "Some people take atheism way past just describing how the universe works". post 309 believes "The minimal requirement is that one does not believe religious claims" about god. post 327 states atheism is about evidence. post 338 states atheism is "based on overwhelming evidence."

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 10-11-2021 at 04:10 PM..

Old 10-11-2021, 03:44 PM

895 posts, read 476,852 times
Did you read the results of the poll?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/athe...heism-you.html

My atheism is simply a lack of belief in God 100% 11/11
My atheism is more than simply a lack of belief in God. 0/11

Old 10-11-2021, 04:22 PM

16,728 posts, read 15,731,369 times
Quote:
see post 339 and 340. and more posts from atheists in this thread: see post 17 and 19. and from post 32 "with atheism there is no struggle. you just know things." from post 116 "some forms of atheism may be belief systems. but for a lot of people it is not a belief system". posts 121 and 124 express the view that evidence is relevant and intrinsic and essential to what is atheism. because "if there were clear evidence then there would be no atheism" post 128 states "atheism is based on the evidence we have."

post 149 reports, "There have been more threads on what the definition of atheism is than I've had hot dinners. Trust me, I've even argued for dozens of pages with fellow atheists about what an atheist is, and it is never completely resolved, which is why I can no longer be bothered to argue about it."

atheist in post 161 believes there is a problem with reliance on definitions. "there's a book on atheism you can buy on Amazon called "Atheism: The Basics", which goes on for 190 pages. In fact, there are 50 pages of books that you can buy on Amazon that deal with atheism.I'm not saying that definitions are unimportant. But definitions are like a grain of sand on a beach to understanding what are, often, very complex topics."

from post 163 "of course atheism is a belief system" "because there is no empirical proof for or against." from post 243 "Some people take atheism way past just describing how the universe works". post 309 believes "The minimal requirement is that one does not believe religious claims" about god. post 327 states atheism is about evidence. post 338 states atheism is "based on overwhelming evidence."
You read an awfully lot there that nobody else seems to see. Does a person believe in any God (or gods)? Yes or No. If Yes, that person is a theist. If No, that person is an atheist. Simple.

Why are you trying to make it complicated?

Old 10-11-2021, 04:29 PM

Quote:
You read an awfully lot there that nobody else seems to see. Does a person believe in any God (or gods)? Yes or No. If Yes, that person is a theist. If No, that person is an atheist. Simple. Why are you trying to make it complicated?
i am stating the obvious.
that atheists disagree on what is atheism.
atheists have different beliefs about what is atheism

it is simple. it does not get any simpler than that.

otherwise this (well-regarded, well-respected) atheist on CD would not state in post 149, "There have been more threads on what the definition of atheism is than I've had hot dinners. Trust me, I've even argued for dozens of pages with fellow atheists about what an atheist is, and it is never completely resolved, which is why I can no longer be bothered to argue about it."

it doesn't get any clearer than that.

Old 10-11-2021, 04:38 PM

16,728 posts, read 15,731,369 times
Quote:

otherwise this (well-regarded, well-respected) atheist on CD would not state in post 149, "There have been more threads on what the definition of atheism is than I've had hot dinners. Trust me, I've even argued for dozens of pages with fellow atheists about what an atheist is, and it is never completely resolved, which is why I can no longer be bothered to argue about it."

It's still simply a belief that there is no God. Why would you argue for dozens of pages about that?

Old 10-11-2021, 04:42 PM

50,979 posts, read 24,476,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzaphkiel View Post
the point i made is that atheists posting on cd (and in this thread) do not agree on what atheism is. They hold different beliefs about what is atheism. Posts in this thread demonstrate that the beliefs about atheism held by atheists, do vary from atheist to atheist. Each atheist self-defines what their own beliefs are about atheism.

In the same way believers have "different beliefs about god" and may disagree on details.
So too do atheists have "different beliefs about atheism" and may disagree on details.
so what?

Old 10-11-2021, 05:01 PM

Quote:

It doesn't seem to be at all obvious to most of the posters here.

Old 10-11-2021, 05:02 PM

Quote:
It's still simply a belief that there is no God. Why would you argue for dozens of pages about that?
that would be for the atheists to answer who "argued for dozens of pages with fellow atheists about what an atheist is and it is never completely resolved."

Old 10-11-2021, 05:05 PM

Quote:
that would be for the atheists to answer who "argued for dozens of pages with fellow atheists about what an atheist is and it is never completely resolved."
This whole series of posts of hers is her basic "cuz I said so" routine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism