Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2022, 03:58 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,571,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
How about the US invasion of Iraq? Russian invasion and later US invasion of Afghanistan? What about the European colonization of Asia and Africa and the middle east? what religion was involved? Why is your memory so selective?
All wars are the same - greed and power and profit.
I agree with you and the others.

The numbers do not justify tagging religion as an evil entity. If I have to look at only numbers anit-religion countries killed far more people over the last few hundred years.

But, in reality, religion is a powerful motivator. For good and bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2022, 07:41 AM

15,952 posts, read 7,015,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I agree with you and the others.

The numbers do not justify tagging religion as an evil entity. If I have to look at only numbers anit-religion countries killed far more people over the last few hundred years.

But, in reality, religion is a powerful motivator. For good and bad.
Religion is a powerful motivator to attain spirituality. Greed and hate are powerful motivators to use any means necessary to achieve those goals: nationalism, profits, fear of others, security, losing one’s religion.

Old 06-09-2022, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Religion is a powerful motivator to attain spirituality. Greed and hate are powerful motivators to use any means necessary to achieve those goals: nationalism, profits, fear of others, security, losing one’s religion.
Yuppers ... A powerful motivator for good and bad.

Although, I also see it like a cast. Once you're "fixed", the cast actually hinders progress. But its true, some will need the braces for the rest of their lives.

so how do we compare notes CB? me who sees religion as a tool and you see it as something more?

Old 06-09-2022, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
Yuppers ... A powerful motivator for good and bad.

Although, I also see it like a cast. Once you're "fixed", the cast actually hinders progress. But its true, some will need the braces for the rest of their lives.

so how do we compare notes CB? me who sees religion as a tool and you see it as something more?
We are not that far apart, Arach. I see religion as a structure that has many parts. Spirituality draws from what religion contains - the texts and methodologies, the thoughts, observations and experiences, the mythology and ancient stories, the beliefs and assertions. It is the sum of all of it that inspires not only spirituality, but also the arts - the music, the drama, the architecture. What will we do without religion?
It is misplaced anger that some people have about religion due to their unfortunate experience with it caused by unscrupulous people.

Old 06-09-2022, 11:39 AM

16,768 posts, read 4,974,055 times
Quote:
That infers losing one's religion is a conscious and deliberate act. People do not decide to lose their religion, they stop believing. You just added that on to attack those who have lost their religion, because that is what wise and compassionate people do.

If you want to use anything for your own goal, religion works much better, as history shows. Losing one's religion would put you on the outside in most countries, and even in places like China, where atheism is the official state policy, quite a few of the people in government are openly religious.

Old 06-09-2022, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
That infers losing one's religion is a conscious and deliberate act. People do not decide to lose their religion, they stop believing. You just added that on to attack those who have lost their religion, because that is what wise and compassionate people do.

If you want to use anything for your own goal, religion works much better, as history shows. Losing one's religion would put you on the outside in most countries, and even in places like China, where atheism is the official state policy, quite a few of the people in government are openly religious.
You have a strange method of comprehension. The fear of losing one’s religion is one of the motivating factors that lets nations take their country to war. It was fear of islam that was used to attack iraq when the real reason was profiteering off of oil and building up the weapon industry. You may not fully understand all this because you live in Germany which is not even allowed to have an army.

Old 06-09-2022, 02:11 PM

Quote:
We are not that far apart, Arach. I see religion as a structure that has many parts. Spirituality draws from what religion contains - the texts and methodologies, the thoughts, observations and experiences, the mythology and ancient stories, the beliefs and assertions. It is the sum of all of it that inspires not only spirituality, but also the arts - the music, the drama, the architecture. What will we do without religion?
It is misplaced anger that some people have about religion due to their unfortunate experience with it caused by unscrupulous people.
Self reflection and rigorous honesty. For me, I ask "why did that trigger me?" "trigger" here just meaning a deep response. Then next thing I do keep track of how many times I blame "something else". For me, when I reach 5, 6, or 7 I stop and apply the first first sentence again.

Adult children of abuse can be land mines in society. Its just that most people are religious so many adult children of abuse can suffer at the hands of religion. Of course, they don't think of it that way. In group. we talk about iut one way. But out in the real world, we have a duty to be as honest as we can. I think anyway.

Like with gun violance. Draw a picture of the people doing most of the shooting. Some people will not think about it like that. Draw me a picture of who "tricked" us. It aint religion.

MoB mentality? sure that plays a role. FFR is just on the other side of dangerous to freedom to me. ANd it certainly shouldn't be covertly playing out in here. Thats deceitful to me.

Old 06-09-2022, 02:51 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
You have a strange method of comprehension. The fear of losing one’s religion is one of the motivating factors that lets nations take their country to war. It was fear of islam that was used to attack iraq when the real reason was profiteering off of oil and building up the weapon industry. You may not fully understand all this because you live in Germany which is not even allowed to have an army.
Germany is not allowed to have an army?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bundeswehr

Old 06-09-2022, 03:00 PM

16,665 posts, read 15,660,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Germany is not allowed to have an army?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bundeswehr
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Old 06-09-2022, 03:13 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.
And...

https://www.dw.com/en/germany-commit...ing/a-60933724
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism