Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2022, 03:35 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,570,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
So in short in your opinion religion has never been a cause of war? Never even once?

What is an anti religious country? And do they fight each other?

If you read what I actually posted I never once stated that religiin sas the cause fir war. I did state that it is one of the causes of war. There is a huge difference between the two statements. That is were your twisting takes off. I state it is a cause and yoy claim that I said it a was THE cause for war and go off on all kinds of things relatedto what you claim I said but nothing to do wifh what I actually posted.

I have never once claimed that your civil was was caused by religion. I have in the past said that those in the North were not driven by their religiin to stop slavery.
Never? Sure, small scale stuff. But no where near what people claim. But if we do, I am inclined to include communism's killing's to stop religion because its an anti-religious ideology. Again, the numbers out do religion by factors of ten in the last 150 years or so.

Then those in the south were not driven by religion to have slavery.

So in the end, the belief in some thing more is, by far, more reliable than the reverse. It doesn't matter that people that don't know squat think its a deity or they have to deny everything for team atheism.

And that statement is independent of how we feel about religion. Well, at least for rational people anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2022, 04:17 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,321,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
Never? Sure, small scale stuff. But no where near what people claim. But if we do, I am inclined to include communism's killing's to stop religion because its an anti-religious ideology. Again, the numbers out do religion by factors of ten in the last 150 years or so.

Then those in the south were not driven by religion to have slavery.

So in the end, the belief in some thing more is, by far, more reliable than the reverse. It doesn't matter that people that don't know squat think its a deity or they have to deny everything for team atheism.

And that statement is independent of how we feel about religion. Well, at least for rational people anyway.
First of alk why should i attempt to address an unspecified claim made by unknown people? I never said that religion qas the cause or tje major cause for wars. Basically your first sentences are telling me that i am correct but that I am also wrong because someone somewhere said something that you do not agree with and therefore even though I do not even know what they claim I must be wrong. Nationalism is another cause of war tjat CB2008 also neglected in her short list of cause for war.

I do not agree with you that Communists killed pe ople to stop religion however now we would be going off topic. And I will go no further on your Civil War as last time I made a comment you accusseed me of being anti American.

If you wish ro twist what Inpost inro something diffetent so that yoy can bash me and feel smug about yourself there is nit much I can do about it. Here is an article about 8 causes for war. Rwligion is on that list, you also said it exists in small scale so just what did I say wrong when I said that religion was a cause for wars? If ypu cannot or will not answer me this question please do not bothering to make comments on my future posts.

Old 06-11-2022, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
If a war was caused by religion, what would the result have been if they won? Would they have converted everyone? Killed everyone that was not of the religion? Where and when did this happen?
Guess you never bothered to check out the article I linked to?

Dialogue is swapping ideas and ansering eachbothers questions. It is not of one poster making claimws and asking the other poster questions but not answering questions posed to them.

https://owlcation.com/social-science...easons-For-War

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_war

https://www.wilsoncenter.org/event/r...ecular-state-0

Just a reminder that at no time have I claimed that religiin was THE cause oreven a major cause for wars. I am sure tjat you will not accept any of the exampkes provided in the links as you do not seem capable of ever being incorrect.

Old 06-11-2022, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Guess you never bothered to check out the article I linked to?

Dialogue is swapping ideas and ansering eachbothers questions. It is not of one poster making claimws and asking the other poster questions but not answering questions posed to them.

https://owlcation.com/social-science...easons-For-War

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_war

https://www.wilsoncenter.org/event/r...ecular-state-0

Just a reminder that at no time have I claimed that religiin was THE cause oreven a major cause for wars. I am sure tjat you will not accept any of the exampkes provided in the links as you do not seem capable of ever being incorrect.
you have also never stepped up to try and unpack beliefs to see what one match what we see better. To actually apply the logic you think you have.

willful ignorance is what causes wars badlands. Own it. Or try and be better. Atheism is way better when we stand up and use the logic we claim to have.

Old 06-11-2022, 05:28 PM

Quote:
First of alk why should i attempt to address an unspecified claim made by unknown people? I never said that religion qas the cause or tje major cause for wars. Basically your first sentences are telling me that i am correct but that I am also wrong because someone somewhere said something that you do not agree with and therefore even though I do not even know what they claim I must be wrong. Nationalism is another cause of war tjat CB2008 also neglected in her short list of cause for war.

I do not agree with you that Communists killed pe ople to stop religion however now we would be going off topic. And I will go no further on your Civil War as last time I made a comment you accusseed me of being anti American.

If you wish ro twist what Inpost inro something diffetent so that yoy can bash me and feel smug about yourself there is nit much I can do about it. Here is an article about 8 causes for war. Rwligion is on that list, you also said it exists in small scale so just what did I say wrong when I said that religion was a cause for wars? If ypu cannot or will not answer me this question please do not bothering to make comments on my future posts.

Of course you don't agree. You ran your mouth about Russia was the savor of ww2 too. Until I had to point out that, although important, if we (the usa) didn't help them it would have went diferently. Of course I never heard you come back, you ran from that un packing also.

I think its an underlining issue myself.

I would expect you not to address any claim that you don't like if it has some legs. Its your MO. Its what you have done for the many years I have see you post.

The simple statement is that you are really here for a political agenda. I pointed out your pollical rants before that close the disconnect between us. Of course, you had to stop them because I was exposing your anti-American believer rant for what it was. Then you deny it some time later, avoid the claim using your posts, then finally ignore. which we both know you will do again.

Otherwise this is simple. Yes, there is some thing more. No, there aint no deity. No, most wars are not due to religion. Yes, religion can be a dangerous motivator.

its that simple my man.

Old 06-11-2022, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
Of course you don't agree. You ran your mouth about Russia was the savor of ww2 too. Until I had to point out that, although important, if we (the usa) didn't help them it would have went diferently. Of course I never heard you come back, you ran from that un packing also.

I think its an underlining issue myself.

I would expect you not to address any claim that you don't like if it has some legs. Its your MO. Its what you have done for the many years I have see you post.

The simple statement is that you are really here for a political agenda. I pointed out your pollical rants before that close the disconnect between us. Of course, you had to stop them because I was exposing your anti-American believer rant for what it was. Then you deny it some time later, avoid the claim using your posts, then finally ignore. which we both know you will do again.

Otherwise this is simple. Yes, there is some thing more. No, there aint no deity. No, most wars are not due to religion. Yes, religion can be a dangerous motivator.

its that simple my man.

The Soviets fought the Germans as part of the Allie forces. The USA did not defear Germany, the Allies did. i have never ran away fro this discussion, perhaps its off topic. Of course rhe American contribution was important as was the Brits winning the Battle of Britian. The Allies won the War, Russia, the US , Britain etc. It was not the US winning the war. My own father was sprayed with shrapnel on D-Day with tje Canadian army. The American army did not do it by themselves. My saying that is no mire anti American then you dismissing the role if my father and his brother as anti Canadian.

Just how many times must a say that religion is a cause if war before you realizs that I am not saying it is the majir ir onky cause for war?

I have no clue what you are speaking about my political agenda. Please describe just what my potitical agenda is. And you never expised an anti American rant I did ask you for examples but none came forward.

Everyone who reads this post can tell that I never said that religion was the only or major cause for wars that you have accused me of. I,'ll let the readers judge as it is clear for all ro read.

Ypu have accuaed meof being anti American, of trying to stop religiin in Americab schools, of being anti religiin, having sime soet of political agenda, lied about what I have stated about the Soviets in WWII and now claiming I made about religion being the main cause for wars.I

Apparenly the only way to stop you from twisting my comments to mean aomething entirely differentis for me to cease making any comments.

Old 06-11-2022, 08:42 PM

15,952 posts, read 7,015,660 times
Quote:
The Soviets fought the Germans as part of the Allie forces. The USA did not defear Germany, the Allies did. i have never ran away fro this discussion, perhaps its off topic. Of course rhe American contribution was important as was the Brits winning the Battle of Britian. The Allies won the War, Russia, the US , Britain etc. It was not the US winning the war. My own father was sprayed with shrapnel on D-Day with tje Canadian army. The American army did not do it by themselves. My saying that is no mire anti American then you dismissing the role if my father and his brother as anti Canadian.

Just how many times must a say that religion is a cause if war before you realizs that I am not saying it is the majir ir onky cause for war?

I have no clue what you are speaking about my political agenda. Please describe just what my potitical agenda is. And you never expised an anti American rant I did ask you for examples but none came forward.

Everyone who reads this post can tell that I never said that religion was the only or major cause for wars that you have accused me of. I,'ll let the readers judge as it is clear for all ro read.

Ypu have accuaed meof being anti American, of trying to stop religiin in Americab schools, of being anti religiin, having sime soet of political agenda, lied about what I have stated about the Soviets in WWII and now claiming I made about religion being the main cause for wars.I

Apparenly the only way to stop you from twisting my comments to mean aomething entirely differentis for me to cease making any comments.
name one war that was caused by religion. did religion win that war or lose it?

Old 06-11-2022, 10:03 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
name one war that was caused by religion. did religion win that war or lose it?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religi...t%20atrocities.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/ethics/war/rel.../holywar.shtml

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories...7ffac7485d4895

Old 06-12-2022, 02:41 AM

16,768 posts, read 4,971,895 times
Quote:
If a war was caused by religion, what would the result have been if they won? Would they have converted everyone? Killed everyone that was not of the religion? Where and when did this happen?
The Saxon wars describes your precise definition. We also have the French wars of religion, and religion played a dominant role between some parties who fought in the thirty years war.

And that is one of the problems atheists want to avoid, because freedom of religion applies to us as well as the religious.

Old 06-12-2022, 02:55 AM

16,768 posts, read 4,971,895 times
Quote:
name one war that was caused by religion.
The Saxon wars.

Quote:
did religion win that war or lose it?
Both. Christianity 1: Paganism 0.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism