Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 03:20 PM

8 posts, read 31,415 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know? Just curious.

Wasn't sure wether to post this here or in US forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2007, 03:29 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,273,259 times
Default amount of atheists

Don't know. You might could "google" it.

I do suspect that Arizona may soon have one less and Massachusetts may have one more! LOL!

Old 08-25-2007, 04:17 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,627,765 times
I used to live in Seattle and was told that it has the lowest percentage of church goers and is the least religious city so I suspect that it has the highest percentage of atheists.

Old 08-25-2007, 04:20 PM

7,997 posts, read 12,277,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post

I do suspect that Arizona may soon have one less and Massachusetts may have one more! LOL!
" 'AMEN' TO THAT, SISTER!!!!"

Old 08-25-2007, 04:28 PM

799 posts, read 2,169,502 times
Probably the state with the fewest atheists would have the least amount of people per square mile?

Old 08-26-2007, 12:10 AM

7,542 posts, read 17,241,244 times
If you're really concerned about it, you should probably think about instead moving to Holland or Sweden.

Old 08-26-2007, 10:18 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,462,266 times
I don't really care, even as an atheist. Personally, it's not so bad living in the heart of the Bible thumping south. I can get all my shopping and chores done on Sunday's when everyone else thinks they are growing closer to an imaginary man in the sky. And I don't have to worry about traffic!!

Old 01-31-2022, 10:57 AM

305 posts, read 295,074 times
Try to check updated data.

Old 01-31-2022, 03:24 PM

20,007 posts, read 13,491,416 times
Here's atheists by state as a "percentage of non-religious citizens"

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/...n-america.html

I'd rather see per-capita figures.

My guess is there's a fair amount of self-reporting involved and so would have to be taken with a grain of salt anyway.

Some people would take that label without knowing what it means clearly, just to be provocative, others would shy away from it because of controversy or social approbation.

Still -- an interesting list, with Vermont at the top. I'm skeptical of Maine at #2, it's a pretty conservative state, is it not? On the other hand if my atheist self wanted to retreat to someplace in the deep woods, Maine would be a candidate ... but I'm guessing Maine has a low percentage of non-religious so a high percentage of THOSE being atheists could be a statistical anomaly.

Old 01-31-2022, 03:51 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Here's atheists by state as a "percentage of non-religious citizens"

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/...n-america.html

I'd rather see per-capita figures.

My guess is there's a fair amount of self-reporting involved and so would have to be taken with a grain of salt anyway.

Some people would take that label without knowing what it means clearly, just to be provocative, others would shy away from it because of controversy or social approbation.

Still -- an interesting list, with Vermont at the top. I'm skeptical of Maine at #2, it's a pretty conservative state, is it not? On the other hand if my atheist self wanted to retreat to someplace in the deep woods, Maine would be a candidate ... but I'm guessing Maine has a low percentage of non-religious so a high percentage of THOSE being atheists could be a statistical anomaly.
No, I think Maine is likely not too religious at all. That's based somewhat on anecdotal evidence--my mother-in-law was from just outside Portland, and no one in her family was particularly religious. But I also seem to remember hearing that outside my own experience.

Just did a quick search. This article from 2012 seems to confirm it.

https://bangordailynews.com/2012/05/...phone%20survey.

Conservative does not always equal religious. I have two conservative sisters--one moderately conservative, the other a far-right-wing whacko job, and neither are religious. The moderate one is an atheist for certain. Not sure about the other. Thought she was an atheist but she makes occasional references to God. Her long-time partner goes to a church, or used to, but she will be 70 this year and I doubt she's stepped foot in a church since she was 20 except for weddings and my father's funeral.

I suspect Maine people are likely conservative in that they like their isolation and do not welcome governmental intrusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism