Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2021, 06:53 PM

298 posts, read 305,776 times

Advertisements

I don't feel the need to question the individuals belief. I respect what their beliefs are and I am happy if it brings them peace in their life. We have many faiths even on the street in which I live. We all get along well as we are all respectful of one another. The children all play together and the neighbors look out for one another. Seeing the adults respecting each other and showing kindness and compassion is a wonderful lesson for the children. This brings much hope in our future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2021, 07:31 AM

88,922 posts, read 85,450,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Interesting post.

When I started going to a program similar to AA, but not one about alcohol or drugs, I actually asked this question because their program was based directly on the AA program. The answer I was given was that you really don't have to believe in god or even a 'higher power' in the normal sense of the phrase. Maybe, as a Buddhist, you meditate. Perhaps you have some role model who is an inspiration to you. In fact, the gentleman said something along the lines of 'Instead of thinking about a higher power, think about a positive influencer in your life that inspires you to do better'.
I think that's true. My daughter will sometimes post "thanks to the HP" on her FB page in relation to recovery milestones, but she doesn't believe in God.

And a late close friend once told me, "your refrigerator can be your higher power, if that's what works for you."

Just a note that it's a little weird that you are asking this question on a subforum about people who DON'T believe in God or a higher power, but that's OK.

For myself, I've given this some thought lately; i.e., WHY do I want to believe in something? The answer that's come to the forefront is that I simply maybe want to think that there is something I can reach out to for help or guidance, something/someone that does not exist in the real world.

Life is terrible right now. I need help beyond that which humans can provide. I'm calling for it. There's been no answer thus far, though, except from humans. Maybe that is the HP's answer.

Anyway, I suspect I am not the only one who wants to believe that there is help and caring available from some supernatural source.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 10-31-2021 at 08:28 AM..

Old 10-31-2021, 09:35 AM

51,227 posts, read 24,691,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think that's true. My daughter will sometimes post "thanks to the HP" on her FB page in relation to recovery milestones, but she doesn't believe in God.

And a late close friend once told me, "your refrigerator can be your higher power, if that's what works for you."

Just a note that it's a little weird that you are asking this question on a subforum about people who DON'T believe in God or a higher power, but that's OK.

For myself, I've given this some thought lately; i.e., WHY do I want to believe in something? The answer that's come to the forefront is that I simply maybe want to think that there is something I can reach out to for help or guidance, something/someone that does not exist in the real world.

Life is terrible right now. I need help beyond that which humans can provide. I'm calling for it. There's been no answer thus far, though, except from humans. Maybe that is the HP's answer.

Anyway, I suspect I am not the only one who wants to believe that there is help and caring available from some supernatural source.
I guess I put this is this part of the forum, because, in a sense, it questions the validity of religions. Let's put it this way -- most of the christians I have known in my life, and of course that's most people I have known, could only be said to follow the bible in a superficial manner. And that's somewhat true of most people I know in most religions. So in a sense I am critiquing religion. Nevertheless, it seems that many of our religious posters do show up here in the atheism/agnosticism part of the forum, which is fine.

I think you're very right that most of us would love to believe in some higher power. If you're a christian, your belief is based on the bible. So my question really is -- to what extent do people who say, "I believe in god" (particularly in the oft cited polls) ACTUALLY follow the holy book their belief is based on. And I have given the example that one of (and there are only ten) commandments in the christian religion is keeping the holy day sabbath. It doesn't seem like that's a thing that most people who believe in the christian god do anymore. If god literally handed down ten pretty simple rules, and they're not followed, what does mean to the statement, "I believe in god". It's easy to say, "I believe in ____________". My question is, "Okay, so what do you do about it?"

I have long felt that perhaps we want help from a higher power for two main reasons: First, we are sometimes powerless to help ourselves. Second, we are sometimes too lazy to help ourselves.

Old 10-31-2021, 10:54 AM

895 posts, read 478,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Interesting observation. A higher power could be the humanity collective....

Old 10-31-2021, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I guess I put this is this part of the forum, because, in a sense, it questions the validity of religions. Let's put it this way -- most of the christians I have known in my life, and of course that's most people I have known, could only be said to follow the bible in a superficial manner. And that's somewhat true of most people I know in most religions. So in a sense I am critiquing religion. Nevertheless, it seems that many of our religious posters do show up here in the atheism/agnosticism part of the forum, which is fine.

I think you're very right that most of us would love to believe in some higher power. If you're a christian, your belief is based on the bible. So my question really is -- to what extent do people who say, "I believe in god" (particularly in the oft cited polls) ACTUALLY follow the holy book their belief is based on. And I have given the example that one of (and there are only ten) commandments in the christian religion is keeping the holy day sabbath. It doesn't seem like that's a thing that most people who believe in the christian god do anymore. If god literally handed down ten pretty simple rules, and they're not followed, what does mean to the statement, "I believe in god". It's easy to say, "I believe in ____________". My question is, "Okay, so what do you do about it?"

I have long felt that perhaps we want help from a higher power for two main reasons: First, we are sometimes powerless to help ourselves. Second, we are sometimes too lazy to help ourselves.
I might include, a desire/need for emotional comfort, that is outside of either powerless or lazy. It is also outside of intellect alone. For example, I know 2 medical professionals, that lost a daughter, and they find great comfort in believing she is now prancing around fields of flowers with god. They are both intelligent, but their emotional need trumps rationality. (Sometimes I wonder if this is a hard wired feature of the human mind construct or simply an underdeveloped balance). As I've stated before, I used to believe the same, but then I guess I reached a point where the need for comfort over reality seemed unnecessary.

Old 10-31-2021, 11:38 AM

21,017 posts, read 19,509,402 times
The op is unhappy? By reading that post? (Hahaha, I had to go back to see who wrote it! Hi phet!)

Since I have church going Christian friends, I can say - they do the worst things ever!!!
They don't just believe in some Higher Power ---they
are BIG Christians, involved in their church! One having um, relations, out of marriage at
7 am many xs a week when her husband leaves.
Another is a cheat generally in life, a liar, mean, and an adulterer, also!
None of them swear, tho. Yippee, for that!

What does that make them, (translate to)? Lol That they are Really stupid, pitiful in my eyes!
And I mean dumb in many ways.
They need help or therapy or guidance! Whether they believe in a God or are atheists.

Old 10-31-2021, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyno View Post
I might include, a desire/need for emotional comfort, that is outside of either powerless or lazy. It is also outside of intellect alone. For example, I know 2 medical professionals, that lost a daughter, and they find great comfort in believing she is now prancing around fields of flowers with god. They are both intelligent, but their emotional need trumps rationality. (Sometimes I wonder if this is a hard wired feature of the human mind construct or simply an underdeveloped balance). As I've stated before, I used to believe the same, but then I guess I reached a point where the need for comfort over reality seemed unnecessary.
That is another good example.

And I'm not criticizing people who fulfill that need in that way. My criticism is in the often cited polls that show how many people 'believe' in god (or a higher power). I'm not sure that statistic means a lot.

Old 10-31-2021, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
The op is unhappy? By reading that post? (Hahaha, I had to go back to see who wrote it! Hi phet!)

Since I have church going Christian friends, I can say - they do the worst things ever!!!
They don't just believe in some Higher Power ---they
are BIG Christians, involved in their church! One having um, relations, out of marriage at
7 am many xs a week when her husband leaves.
Another is a cheat generally in life, a liar, mean, and an adulterer, also!
None of them swear, tho. Yippee, for that!

What does that make them, (translate to)? Lol That they are Really stupid, pitiful in my eyes!
And I mean dumb in many ways.
They need help or therapy or guidance! Whether they believe in a God or are atheists.
I think to a song from the 1970s that went (in part): "Deacon Jones preaches brotherly love every Sunday. And forecloses loans on widows homes every Monday".

Old 10-31-2021, 12:32 PM

64,093 posts, read 40,390,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyno View Post
Interesting observation. A higher power could be the humanity collective....
The problem is in getting sufficient numbers of them to recognize the power of their collective sincere desires properly focused.

Old 10-31-2021, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The problem is in getting sufficient numbers of them to recognize the power of their collective sincere desires properly focused.
Naturally I am focused on the human component, while you are likely more focused on the collective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism