Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2022, 03:17 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,247,667 times

Advertisements

25% identify as atheists and 2/3 don't believe in God.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...bout-atheists/

Bohemians and Moravians also kick-started the proto-Reformation during the Hussite rebellion. I wonder if the two trends share some underlying cause.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2022, 04:10 PM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Here's a pretty good article attempting to answer the OP's question.

Quote:
As might be expected, there is not simply one event that changed the country’s religious views. Rather, many historians believe that a long history of anti-Catholic sentiments and rejection of organized religion led to the prominent atheism seen in the Czech Republic today.

Old 05-02-2022, 06:59 PM

22,139 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Czechia is about the size of South Carolina.

44% of Czechs believe in the soul.
43% of Czechs believe in fate.
37% of Czechs believe in miracles.
23% of Czechs believe in reincarnation
27% of Czechs believe in heaven.
29% of Czechs believe in God.
24% of Czechs believe in magic, sorcery, or witchcraft
51% of Czechs agree that “religious institutions play an important role in helping the poor and needy”

"Czechs overall are much more likely to believe in the existence of the soul and fate than they are to believe in God."

A majority of the Czech public (65%) believes in at least one of the nine concepts included in the survey:
  • God
  • Existence of the soul
  • Fate
  • Miracles
  • Heaven
  • Reincarnation
  • Magic, sorcery, or witchcraft
  • Hell
  • The evil eye

Pew report 2017
https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...elieve-in-god/

Europe and USA are about the same size physically, however Europe contains more than twice as many people as the USA.
USA --- 327 million people
Europe --- 741 million people

Belief in God is widespread across the region, with a median of 86% believe in God across 18 countries surveyed (Central and Eastern Europe)

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 05-02-2022 at 07:38 PM..

Old 05-02-2022, 07:28 PM

3,167 posts, read 1,270,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
25% identify as atheists and 2/3 don't believe in God.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...bout-atheists/

Bohemians and Moravians also kick-started the proto-Reformation during the Hussite rebellion. I wonder if the two trends share some underlying cause.
How is it that 2/3 don't believe in God when 1/4 is Atheist?

Old 05-03-2022, 03:25 AM

16,756 posts, read 4,968,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grandeur View Post
Maybe they believe in other gods.

Old 05-03-2022, 05:12 PM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grandeur View Post
I think the key phrase is "identify as" atheists. In my observation more people are willing to acknowledge at least anonymously that they don't believe in god, than are willing to "identify as atheist" in the sense of "come out as". To a lot of people that seems to represent a really big step. Also, it carries a practical social cost. My wife is not comfortable publicly calling herself an atheist because of the perception that it's disrespectful or provocative, but absolutely does not believe in any gods. In fact she finds religion far more absurd than I do, lol.

Old 05-05-2022, 05:34 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
believing that we are part of a larger more complex is, by far, the reliable position to start. Then we can discuss what our thoughts are about that. The more emotional in our ranks need it to be something caring about them or that something to be all evil/good.

About the only thing I see is that a deity belief and we need to be careful what we say so theist don't use it and make the fight against religion harder are not only less reliable they usually start being dishonest when discussing our place in this system.

so I would have look at the numbers of people talking about a deity and the number of people denying all spiritual positions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism