Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2022, 03:05 AM

16,768 posts, read 4,974,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnysig View Post
Believe me, I see what this forum is about. It's about bullying because you will not admit you simply can't get a creation of the universe by natural means. A simple scientific fact like that upsets you all to the point that you will use any means possible to try to hide that fact.
Oh, the universe. That is a different question to existence itself (which I have already answered). I am surprised someone with your science knowledge does not understand the difference. There are many different cosmological theories backed up with actual science, with no god required.

Just Google "where did universe come from" instead of doing your usual dancing and evading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2022, 05:42 AM

16,667 posts, read 15,660,325 times
Second warning: This thread isn't about the origin of the universe. This thread is about the drop in the percentage of people in America who believe in God. Let's at least make an effort to get back on topic. Here is the thread title and the Opening Post.

Belief in God drops to 81%, an all-time low

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
According to a new Gallup poll, American's belief in god has fallen to an all-time low of 81%.

This seems particularly significant given that we are in a time of multiple national (and global) crises, which is supposed to conjure up a lot of "foxhole atheists".

Indeed during the period 1944-2011, this figure was around 90% quite consistently.

I do not pretend to reconcile this with figures generally given for atheism of < 10%. As usual, people probably hold contradictory views, saying they don't believe in god, yet pray to him, etc.

But it certainly does not seem to be the lift that theism would normally get from this sort of threat environment.

Old 06-26-2022, 06:27 AM

65 posts, read 23,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Is it just me or is it flouncy in here again?
You're free to copy and paste any parts of your response that got around the basic science I gave. I didn't see any of that in your writing here.

Old 06-26-2022, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Oh, the universe. That is a different question to existence itself (which I have already answered). I am surprised someone with your science knowledge does not understand the difference. There are many different cosmological theories backed up with actual science, with no god required.

Just Google "where did universe come from" instead of doing your usual dancing and evading.
You're free to copy and paste any parts of your response that got around the basic science I gave. I didn't see any of that in your writing here.

Old 06-26-2022, 06:48 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,571,363 times
Quote:
I have to pinch myself to be sure this is not a bad dream where people are that much out of reality.

"The laws actually show that the universe probably started by the natural laws."

And that's shown by your evidence of...

(blank)

Wow, sure wished I could make up anything I want. How those laws were just there, who knows? You said and somehow it has merit.

Nipped for space ...

From the same person who can't even get around the science I gave and says we don't know, no matter how well-proven those laws are and you really have to go out of your way to show they can be doubted.
Keep in mind some key words. I said "probably". so we are comparing your "I think I am probably right" to me: "I think its me that is probably right."

81% believe in some thing more. so lets look at this 81%

Better stated, lets put your claim and my claim in a relative reliability list.

so lets just unpack: "How those laws were just there"

what are our options?

1-something started it (at least, by this thread 81%)
2-nothing started it. (haven't seen one set of credible defenses for this one myself)
3-

What else can we add that help me and you unpack what we are saying to better understand each other?

Old 06-26-2022, 08:08 AM

19,979 posts, read 13,459,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Second warning: This thread isn't about the origin of the universe. This thread is about the drop in the percentage of people in America who believe in God. Let's at least make an effort to get back on topic. Here is the thread title and the Opening Post.

Belief in God drops to 81%, an all-time low
Well I don't know how much more there is to say about it. It's an interesting drop, but still high, and everyone who actually has a personal take on it seems to have provided it.

Maybe one of these posters contributing to the faint buzzing sound I hear in the background can open up their own thread to gaslight in. I'm fine with shutting this one down FWIW, if that's what the moderators want to do. I think it's fair to say this thread has long since been hijacked.

Old 06-26-2022, 08:40 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,571,363 times
^^^ special pleading^^^

shut it down before we start to realize that some of "them" will not buy into "its only about religion" as the arbiter of reliable beliefs. Special pleading usually never wins the debate. well, unless we look at usa's politics that is.

But this forum is not for that kind of thing ...

Last edited by Arach Angle; 06-26-2022 at 08:57 AM..

Old 06-26-2022, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
Keep in mind some key words. I said "probably". so we are comparing your "I think I am probably right" to me: "I think its me that is probably right."

81% believe in some thing more. so lets look at this 81%

Better stated, lets put your claim and my claim in a relative reliability list.

so lets just unpack: "How those laws were just there"

what are our options?

1-something started it (at least, by this thread 81%)
2-nothing started it. (haven't seen one set of credible defenses for this one myself)
3-

What else can we add that help me and you unpack what we are saying to better understand each other?
I'm keeping this civil. None of what you gave got around the laws I gave.

Old 06-26-2022, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
^^^ special pleading^^^

shut it down before we start to realize that some of "them" will not buy into "its only about religion" as the arbiter of reliable beliefs. Special pleading usually never wins the debate. well, unless we look at usa's politics that is.

But this forum is not for that kind of thing ...
I'm fine with starting in a different part of this forum. Oh, and "special pleading" didn't get around the laws I gave either.

About the poll numbers, I already agreed that the appear correct.

Old 06-26-2022, 10:48 AM

16,768 posts, read 4,974,055 times
Quote:
I have done my work several times on this thread, if you want to see it again, reread the thread, and then we can discuss any science in the science forum.

As to the OP, I ask myself if a large part of this is due to atheists posting on the internet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism