Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2022, 12:29 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
And here I thought it may be a play onnThe Mighty Quinn
Hahaha.

Old 06-20-2022, 04:25 PM

19,970 posts, read 13,459,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Back in the days of the old AOL message boards, when I used this same screen name, I had a relentless fundamentalist sending me Bible verses and dire warnings of what I faced if I didn't repent, convinced that Mighty Queen meant I was a gay man. Even when I informed her that I was a straight mother who used to tell her kid to call me the Mighty Queen and that's where the name came from, she replied that the "Lord had revealed to her" that I was lying.

There's just no point with some people.
Just gotta love those people who get "words from the lord".

Reminds me of an old joke I once heard from a Pentecostal. A service was underway with people sharing "words from the lord". One gentleman got up and announced, "When I, the Lord your God, commanded David to part the Red Sea, I did deliver the Children of Israel from the Egyptians. Even so will I deliver ye in thine hour of need."

He sat down, and everyone was very quiet.

After a minute or so, the same man stood up and said, "Behold, I, the Lord your God, hath made a mistake ..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2022, 04:41 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post

Reminds me of an old joke I once heard from a Pentecostal. A service was underway with people sharing "words from the lord". One gentleman got up and announced, "When I, the Lord your God, commanded David to part the Red Sea, I did deliver the Children of Israel from the Egyptians. Even so will I deliver ye in thine hour of need."

After a minute or so, the same man stood up and said, "Behold, I, the Lord your God, hath made a mistake ..."
No joke, but one day when my father and aunt were visiting from out of state, they convinced me to go to church (catholic) with them. I still went to Mass occasionally at that point, so I did. Right in the middle of Mass a man sitting directly in front of me went absolutely hysterical. It took 4 men to literally carry him out of the chuch. Perhaps he was just getting "words from the lord".

Old 06-20-2022, 04:43 PM

Quote:

HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Behold, and Moses went to the desert, because he was quite put out.

Old 06-20-2022, 05:24 PM

19,970 posts, read 13,459,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
No joke, but one day when my father and aunt were visiting from out of state, they convinced me to go to church (catholic) with them. I still went to Mass occasionally at that point, so I did. Right in the middle of Mass a man sitting directly in front of me went absolutely hysterical. It took 4 men to literally carry him out of the chuch. Perhaps he was just getting "words from the lord".
When I was in Bible Institute, I attended a service at Calvary Bible Church, Grand Rapids, which was more or less the "founding church" for the Institute. It was a pretty staid, respectable place. During the service, an older woman wandered in and sat in the back. She was reflexively making signs of the cross and muttering to herself. Suddenly she burst out shouting, "INDIVIDUAL SOULS!!!"

The pastor paused, and gesturing to the ushers, asked if they would help the lady find her way out. Fortunately, it was not necessary to carry her out. She was willing to go when asked.

For the rest of that school year, one of my friends or myself would randomly bellow "INDIVIDUAL SOULS!" at odd moments for no reason, to much merriment.

I did not understand at the time that this person was possibly mentally ill. It is also possible that she was simply in the throes of some sort of religious ecstasy. But it is my guess that she was just a person with mental illness involving religious delusions. I regret making fun of her, although, the absurdity of the incident was undeniable.

Old 06-20-2022, 06:44 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,865,611 times
Oh the irony. "relentlessly gay"

as if we haven't been subjected to the relentless imposition of religious dogma for eons. Of course, the irony of this would never even tickle their awareness.

another example of the RELENTLESS dealing with the relentless

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/19/middl...ntl/index.html

Old 06-20-2022, 07:54 PM

9,327 posts, read 12,999,233 times
This sounds like the plot to a John Waters movie.

Old 06-21-2022, 03:46 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,540,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yesterday my bf's sister posted a picture of her five-year-old in front of her birthday cake, which was a rainbow theme. Would the SBC members smash the cake?

Fortunately, she is not in the US.

Back in the days of the old AOL message boards, when I used this same screen name, I had a relentless fundamentalist sending me Bible verses and dire warnings of what I faced if I didn't repent, convinced that Mighty Queen meant I was a gay man. Even when I informed her that I was a straight mother who used to tell her kid to call me the Mighty Queen and that's where the name came from, she replied that the "Lord had revealed to her" that I was lying.

There's just no point with some people.

I never thought of your moniker that way.

Now, I can't stop!!!

Old 06-21-2022, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

I never thought of your moniker that way.

Now, I can't stop!!!
I'm six feet tall. I bet I could dress as a drag queen and convince people that I am a man dressed as a woman when in fact I'd be a woman dressed as a man dressed as a woman.

Old 06-22-2022, 06:52 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,570,234 times
Quote:
To the topic that religion bears some responsibility for how it influences its adherents comes this situation where a woman had a string of lights on her porch in a rainbow configuration and some "neighbor" left this cowardly anonymous note for her after previously threatening to burn the house down:

The irony is that the woman in question may well not even be LGBTQ or had some sort of LGBTQ activism in mind. She's a mother of 4 in Baltimore who likes rainbows. To her credit she did a kickstarter campaign to make her yard even more "relentlessly gay" and got several times the funding target and is currently contracting out painters, etc.

Now this screed is clearly the action of an individual, but an individual who is part of a church who has been inculcated with certain aversions, fears, and bigotries; or at the very least a person who already had these aversions, fears and bigotries, whom the church has failed to remake into a better person with an alleged "new nature in Christ".

This general mindset is so prevalent in the South of the US as to be almost a given, to the extent my daughter is in the process of escaping that region as she finds it oppressive and, increasingly, dangerous to live there with any freedom of expression at all. These kinds of aggressive actions exist there, not just in neighborhoods but in workplaces and everyday interactions in the public square.

What could the SBC and others dominant in that region reasonably do to take a stand against this fascistic acting out? I would expect, given such organization's promotion of agape love and grace, to see campaigns against hatred, suspicion, otherizing and coercion, and explaining that treating people you differ with as fellow human beings deserving of ordinary respect and kindness, is entirely compatible with their views about what is or isn't "sinful". I would expect "church discipline" to reign in someone like this letter writer.

Perhaps such efforts exist, and I'm not aware of it?
the question is "Do they have point"?

I do know, if we question anything a "gay" person does we are instantly accused of something other than just trying to level the playing field. I live in the north east usa, and its real dangerous and incredibly oppressive and it ain't religion.

The example I use is the swimmer.

A biological male shouldn't be competing against biological females in D1 competition. Its that simple and it has nothing to do with being "relentlessly gay/anti-gay".

I wonder if some anti-religious people could do with a little commonsense and understanding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism