Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2023, 12:22 AM

16,768 posts, read 4,971,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Short answer: No!
False, we consider circumstantial evidence all the time. It is just that the arguments for a god have much better explanations, arguments that you dismiss by misrepresenting them as inexplicable, assumptions, opinions, usw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2023, 02:24 AM

24,600 posts, read 9,440,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatesDude View Post
Would an atheist ever actually consider circumstantial evidence for a god?
Why can't it be evidence of Satan? Why can't Satan ever get some credit?

Old 01-04-2023, 04:53 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,806,194 times
No.

If it rained and a rainbow appeared ahead of me, and after walking in that direction for some time I happened upon a pair of little green shoes and a small sack of gold, I wouldn't consider that evidence of a leprechaun. Sorry, you're going to have to catch one of those little buggers and present it to me; until then, I'm an aleprechaunist.

The same goes for Zeus and Odin and Ra and Vishnu. Oh, and that God thing, too.

Old 01-04-2023, 07:40 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
So now you are speaking for all atheists?

Well, you don't speak for me.

Old 01-04-2023, 12:08 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,737,785 times
Quote:
Actually, I would. But it would have to be REAL evidence, and not just, for example, YOUR personal experience.

I wonder why you think anyone would take your representation of atheists seriously, because anyone who reads this forum knows you are a theist.

Old 01-08-2023, 08:55 AM

17,778 posts, read 13,673,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Why can't it be evidence of Satan? Why can't Satan ever get some credit?
Satan is a tough one. For three reasons...

1) Satan isn't omnipresent. I'm not sure how fast he can travel but apparently he can only be one place at a time.

2) Because of number #1, you never know if it was actually Satan that tempted you are if it was just a demon. You probably have to be pretty important to take the time for Satan to bother you.

3) Apparently there are sins of "the flesh"... We know that most of your sexual sins and maybe stuff like eating too much or drinking to much might be "sins of the flesh"... and I don't think Satan or the Demons even have to be involved in those. I think they could be involved but apparently you can do those sins on your own. Don't need any outside help.

Old 01-08-2023, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Actually, I would. But it would have to be REAL evidence, and not just, for example, YOUR personal experience.

I wonder why you think anyone would take your representation of atheists seriously, because anyone who reads this forum knows you are a theist.
Yes, in the same way that "the neighbor's dog told me to kill all those people" is, technically, evidence of that happening - but it's pretty weak sauce (to put it mildly).

Now, a claim that the neighbor's dog chased a squirrel up a tree would reasonably accepted, because dogs are both capable of doing that and known to do so. But talking? Not only are dogs not known to talk, but only one species is known to be able to speak a language. Yet for all the incredulity of dogs talking should evoke, at least dogs are known to exist - which gives "That dog talked!" a leg up on "That deity exists and wants us to do certain things and has communicated these desires!" because dogs - unlike deities - have actually been demonstrated to exist.

Extraordinary claims, and all that.

Old 01-08-2023, 11:09 AM

9,327 posts, read 12,999,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Yes, in the same way that "the neighbor's dog told me to kill all those people" is, technically, evidence of that happening - but it's pretty weak sauce (to put it mildly).

Now, a claim that the neighbor's dog chased a squirrel up a tree would reasonably accepted, because dogs are both capable of doing that and known to do so. But talking? Not only are dogs not known to talk, but only one species is known to be able to speak a language. Yet for all the incredulity of dogs talking should evoke, at least dogs are known to exist - which gives "That dog talked!" a leg up on "That deity exists and wants us to do certain things and has communicated these desires!" because dogs - unlike deities - have actually been demonstrated to exist.

Extraordinary claims, and all that.
Ahh, David Berkowitz, who not only recanted the Talking Dog story but became a Born-Again Christian, to boot.

Old 01-08-2023, 11:22 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,737,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
Ahh, David Berkowitz, who not only recanted the Talking Dog story but became a Born-Again Christian, to boot.
Apparently, he needs someone to tell him what to do and when to do it...

Old 01-08-2023, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
While spinning a tale about a Satanic cult which, while less implausible than the whole Son of Sam shtick, is utterly bereft of any actual evidence. Except for Berkowitz's claim. And we see how much that's worth.

But, hey, if you want to believe a mass murderer is saved and gets an eternity in paradise despite all the lives he ruined, knock yourself out...

[I mean, the reality is that when he's dead, he'll never experience anything again, for the obvious reason that he won't exist in any way. But is certainly is a perverse thing to spin tales of fancy, and in those tales someone who ends six lives, harms a dozen others - several with permanent disabilities - and shatters who knows how many other lives as a result, gets endless reward for being sorry and 'believing']
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism