Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2022, 11:09 AM

895 posts, read 475,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron31 View Post
I wouldn't get too excited. MOND (modified Newtonian dynamics) has been around a long time, and it has serious problems and contradicting observations. For one, it cannot explain what's going on with the bullet cluster.
Thank you, yes I've read about that too, but it does seem like an incorrect equation is far more likely than some vast quantity of some material that is undetectable in every way, as an explanation for results of calculations not being what was anticipated. I just enjoy reading advances in cosmology and quantum physics as they pop-up, which is happening almost daily these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2022, 01:26 PM

88 posts, read 33,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatesDude View Post
An article I read today got me to wondering about this. First off, Im not trying to convince anyone that a god exists. A quick perusal of my posting history will show that Ive spent my time here mostly in the "dont know" middle but leaning towards the atheistic arguments. Im simply asking out of curiosity what non believers do with new information that suggests a god exists, even if it is circumstantial and anecdotal.

The article I stumbled across today was about a kid who was severely injured in a car wreck at about 8 yrs old that killed his dad instantly and landed him in a coma with life threatening injuries. According to medical records he had to be revived 2-3 times. The pics of him on the hospital bed are horrific. He still has bad facial scars as an adult.

To the point, during some of his NDEs, he claims to have met his dead dad in heaven, along with 2 "siblings" who both died in miscarriages before birth ( hence the quotation marks around siblings). He had apparently never been told about the miscarriages that occurred before his birth. And he told his mom he knew his dad was dead because he met him in heaven.

So, as a nonbeliever, how do you process this sort of claim? There have been others where kids who have had NDEs report meeting relatives who died before they were born and they had no way of knowing of them. In this case it seems there are maybe 3 ways to view this.

1) He is accurately relating his experience.
2) He is lying about it, or his mother has convinced him to lie about it for some reason
3) He gained knowledge of these supposedly unknown relatives somehow that no one was aware of and created this as a part of a medical hallucination.

If you think #1 might just be true, what then do you do with the info?

If you wish to believe that either 2 or 3 is the answer, on what basis do you dismiss his story and leap to the conclusion he must either be lying or had some sort of unknown prior knowledge of the dead relatives and created the event in his mind from memories? Is automatically dismissing the idea as either a lie or a hallucination truly wanting to know the truth?

Many,if not almost all NDEs simply relate the experience of the individual without any apparent outside corroboration of the legitimacy of the event, which can easily be dismissed as some form of hallucination. Those that involve seeing dead relatives that the person evidently had no way of knowing of their existence pushes these beyond that easy dismissal of it "being all in the mind". So even if you are convinced these stories dont reflect reality, on what basis do you decide that these cant be true and are unworthy of consideration? And if you cant dismiss them as not worth looking into, what then do you do?

Again, not trying to alter anyones opinion. Im just curious if there is anything that would get a non believer to seriously consider the possibilty of a God.
I knew a woman who'd had two profound NDEs and yet was a hardline atheist.

NDEs suggest survival after death. As a whole, the phenomenon isn't evidence in favor of atheism, deism or theism.

There are too many NDEs of the sort you describe for your options 2 and 3 to be realistic.

The realistic options are that NDEs are either evidence of survival or evidence that reality is somehow completely different from any current theory.

Old 08-22-2022, 02:05 PM

7,074 posts, read 4,517,580 times
If there’s a god this entity could make their presence known with no doubt and that would answer the question. I was raised religious but no longer believe. It’s just not possible. NDE’s are our brains misfiring.

Old 08-22-2022, 04:44 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyno View Post
Yes, so stop saying it's God. You don't know that and have zero evidence to backup your claim, your claim is supported by arrogance alone.
That you attribute my confidence to arrogance alone suggests you lack sufficient knowledge of the factors involved in assessing the quantum realm. It exists at unimaginable energy levels that we can only glimpse manifestations of for brief periods in extremely artificial conditions created in our colliders. It is as if we are walking on the side of the road and we are trying to see what kind of FTL spaceship flew past us at ground level!

Last edited by MysticPhD; 08-22-2022 at 05:16 PM..

Old 08-22-2022, 04:55 PM

477 posts, read 124,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
That you attribute my confidence to arrogance alone suggests you lack sufficient knowledge of the factors involved in assessing the quantum realm. It exists at unimaginable energy levels that we can only glimpse manifestations of for brief periods in extremely artificial conditions created in our colliders. It is as if we are walking on the side of the road and we are trying to see what kind of FTL spaceship few past us at ground level!

If it is not arrogance alone then it must your sufficient knowledge of the factors involved in assessing the quantum realm that necessarily connects those factors to what you call "God".

Please demonstrate this connection mechanism.

Old 08-22-2022, 06:27 PM

895 posts, read 475,053 times
Quote:
That you attribute my confidence to arrogance alone suggests you lack sufficient knowledge of the factors involved in assessing the quantum realm. It exists at unimaginable energy levels that we can only glimpse manifestations of for brief periods in extremely artificial conditions created in our colliders. It is as if we are walking on the side of the road and we are trying to see what kind of FTL spaceship flew past us at ground level!
The fact that you need to question everyone else's knowledge suggests you lack the ability to differentiate confidence and arrogance. If your arguments can not stand on their own, no amount of degrading others will strengthen them. Improve your argument, because neither arrogance nor confidence, will ever sustain your assertions.

Old 08-22-2022, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyno View Post
The fact that you need to question everyone else's knowledge suggests you lack the ability to differentiate confidence and arrogance. If your arguments can not stand on their own, no amount of degrading others will strengthen them. Improve your argument, because neither arrogance nor confidence, will ever sustain your assertions.
Oh, give me a break! I am not degrading anyone. From my vantage point, the depth of knowledge of the various components in my Synthesis is too great a span across some very rigorous disciplines. It is simply not readily accessible nor widely known by the average bear. It is not degrading or denigrating anyone to simply make note of that reality!! How many of my posts and how much of my Synthesis have you read to judge its plausibility???

Old 08-22-2022, 10:37 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,791,370 times
Quote:
Oh, give me a break! I am not degrading anyone. From my vantage point, the depth of knowledge of the various components in my Synthesis is too great a span across some very rigorous disciplines. It is simply not readily accessible nor widely known by the average bear. It is not degrading or denigrating anyone to simply make note of that reality!! How many of my posts and how much of my Synthesis have you read to judge its plausibility???
Really Mystic? Give us a break. This has got to be the most egotistical post I've ever read. WOW. Forgive us, oh great one, for being "average bears" that couldn't possibly understand your wisdom and knowledge. All these years I have really misread you. But that naïve ignoramus is gone. I don't know you.

Old 08-22-2022, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
Really Mystic? Give us a break. This has got to be the most egotistical post I've ever read. WOW. Forgive us, oh great one, for being "average bears" that couldn't possibly understand your wisdom and knowledge. All these years I have really misread you. But that naïve ignoramus is gone. I don't know you.
The truth hurts some people, apparently. You may be projecting your own arrogance about your newfound atheism just as vigorously as you did with your prior fundamentalism. I do not diagnose anyone on the internet so I can't speak to why you are having such a problem with me after all this time. I have never had anything but respect and affection for you and your journey of discovery.

Old 08-22-2022, 11:15 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,791,370 times
Quote:
The truth hurts some people, apparently. You may be projecting your own arrogance about your newfound atheism just as vigorously as you did with your prior fundamentalism. I do not diagnose anyone on the internet so I can't speak to why you are having such a problem with me after all this time. I have never had anything but respect and affection for you and your journey of discovery.
Oh so now it's "I don't know why you're being so mean to me" thing again. Jesus Mystic, look at what you just said! YOU are making yourself look bad, not me. Look how you completely ignored something I asked you NOT to do anymore and you still did it! I don't believe anything you say anymore. You are not the same person you were when you came to this board.

Do y'all want to know what Mystic ~~PhD~~(he's a psychologist) did to me, time and time again? Read what I wrote under my screenname. Or DM me. I'm tired of my **** being plastered all over in the R&S and here, and I'm tired of your insinuations that I'm the nut job because I became an atheist 10+ years ago?

I'm pretty sure I'm not the one struggling with reality here. You should hear how arrogant you sound and the ridiculous woo you're selling. But at least you've got one loyal follower. Ah Goldie, what a great pair you two make.

You damn right I'm going to call you out any chance I get. You've changed, not me. If it makes you feel superior and important enough to toot your own horn ad nauseum, then keep tooting. Game on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism