Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2022, 07:08 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times

Advertisements

well at least we're getting some posts from Theists distancing themselves from the garbled mess of a message that organized religion has presented to humanity. It is certainly an improvement. There would also presumably be no judgement from god/gods that if one is tapping into these universal truths and diving knowingness, that it isn't required to be via a specific path such as Christianity.

From an evidentiary point of view there is really nothing here. It's a personal quest. It's an openness of mind. Its a spiritual journey. What is presented is a plane of existence one can 'tap' into in 'aware stillness' - a place that transcends thoughts and the mind and where exists the universal truth exists. There is no evidence of god however, so I really doubt this messaging will influence atheism because I don't think most individuals will do this. They tried and failed or they simply will dismiss this as another ill fated explanation to manifest a god/gods that don't exist. I suspect most individuals on earth will not do either including those who subscribe to organized religion. They follow it because this is something they grew up with, it's cultural and their way of life by default. I'm not sure most are tapping into the 'mind of christ' in the way that has been presented in this thread. They are Lemmings following the script - regardless of the contradictory messages.

Last edited by fusion2; 12-25-2022 at 07:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2022, 07:18 AM

22,152 posts, read 19,206,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Nice post — couldn’t rep you again. What Mystic calls the Mind of Christ and what contemporary Advaita often refers to as TRUTH is the divine KNOWINGNESS that comes from experiencing God in aware stillness. It is outside thought and the working of the mind — although the mind can jump on it with analysis, emotions, curiosity and ego — it is original TRUTH and revelation not from the mind. In its perennial divine truths it BURNS through the contradictions to simplified CLARITY like the pressing and sorting of coal into diamonds.

The religions of humans have taken these perennial spiritual TRUTHS like “you reap what you sow” which is the same as the simple truth of Karma into vastly complex dogma, rulings, and contradictions but the simple clear divine KNOWINGNESS that originally comes from these teachings is not from the mind. We can experience it as the mind of Christ, the SELF, Buddha Nature, the SOURCE, etc etc— labeling it is the need of the human mind to do so and thus can start “religions”

So if your spiritual guidance and experiencing of GOD is through Jesus or Advaita the divine KNOWINGNESS and TRUTH that is revealed to you is at such a different experience than thought, it is what gives you the certainty and faith and ability to see/experience the difference between the mess humans have often made within organized religion and the actual divine truths that burn through all that…..
this is brilliant and concise.
well said

Old 12-25-2022, 07:39 AM

15,952 posts, read 7,015,660 times
Quote:
Nice post — couldn’t rep you again

What Mystic calls the Mind of Christ and what contemporary Advaita often refers to as TRUTH is the divine KNOWINGNESS that comes from experiencing God in aware stillness. It is outside thought and the working of the mind — although the mind can jump on it with analysis, emotions, curiosity and ego — it is original TRUTH and revelation not from the mind.
In its perennial divine truths it BURNS through the contradictions to simplified CLARITY like the pressing and sorting of coal into diamonds.

The religions of humans have taken these perennial spiritual TRUTHS like “you reap what you sow” which is the same as the simple truth of Karma into vastly complex dogma, rulings, and contradictions but the simple clear divine KNOWINGNESS that originally comes from these teachings is not from the mind. We can experience it as the mind of Christ, the SELF, Buddha Nature, the SOURCE, etc etc— labeling it is the need of the human mind to do so and thus can start “religions”

So if your spiritual guidance and experiencing of GOD is through Jesus or Advaita the divine KNOWINGNESS and TRUTH that is revealed to you is at such a different experience than thought, it is what gives you the certainty and faith and ability to see/experience the difference between the mess humans have often made within organized religion and the actual divine truths that burn through all that…..
Lovely to read this first thing this morning, Mountainrose. Thank you.
Thanks to Fusion2 we are having a conversation about spirituality and divinity in this forum.

Old 12-25-2022, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
well at least we're getting some posts from Theists distancing themselves from the garbled mess of a message that organized religion has presented to humanity. It is certainly an improvement. There would also presumably be no judgement from god/gods that if one is tapping into these universal truths and diving knowingness, that it isn't required to be via a specific path such as Christianity.

From an evidentiary point of view there is really nothing here. It's a personal quest. It's an openness of mind. Its a spiritual journey. What is presented is a plane of existence one can 'tap' into in 'aware stillness' - a place that transcends thoughts and the mind and where exists the universal truth exists. There is no evidence of god however, so I really doubt this messaging will influence atheism because I don't think most individuals will do this. They tried and failed or they simply will dismiss this as another ill fated explanation to manifest a god/gods that don't exist. I suspect most individuals on earth will not do either including those who subscribe to organized religion. They follow it because this is something they grew up with, it's cultural and their way of life by default. I'm not sure most are tapping into the 'mind of christ' in the way that has been presented in this thread. They are Lemmings following the script - regardless of the contradictory messages.
the reason "organized religions" exist at all is because individuals DID do this.
and because people CONTINUE to do this.

a person has free choice in this.
when a person hears for instance that everyone is and has Buddha nature within,
they can as you say dismiss it out of hand.
or they can see value in discovering that, and recognizing their own True Self.

billions of people continue to see value in this.
and have verified for themself the validity of it.
then. and also now.

and yes it is an individual process. teachers and sages and holy books and paths of religion and spirituality may be helpful as map and resource and guide, to describe obstacles barriers pitfalls on the path. But we navigate this each on our own. It is experiential and understood and verified from within.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 12-25-2022 at 09:05 AM..

Old 12-25-2022, 08:08 AM

15,952 posts, read 7,015,660 times
Quote:
So in terms of the contradictions I was referring to - the one prime example from the Bible for instance is what Mystic referred to as the mind of Jesus - for example being non-judgemental in bold yet god is anything but non-judgemental. So - is he or isn't he. I see this as contradictory, you don't?

Other contradictions relate to kindness and caring. At best god if existing, is pretty remote. He doesn't intervene in caring and kind ways all the time in our world. Now, I completely agree that we are often the creators of our own misfortune and it isn't warranted to blame god, but still a lot of bad things happen to people and it has nothing to do with their own karma. Unless we view things as the sin of one or some must be paid for by others. I'm not seeing anything just in that.

So this is what I was getting at in terms of messaging. Whoever is the messenger should be straight with us. God is only around potentially in select circumstances that are essentially impossible to prove. It is up to the recipient or as you call him, message reader to reconcile that messaging based on their own beliefs, experiences and journey as to whether this constitutes a divine message.
I will have to let Mystic respond to your concerns with his post. While I understand what he means I am filtering it through my own studies of Vedanta. Perhaps he is too.

As for the message, the messenger and the message are the same. There is nothing else other than Brhman, the one true and pure existence. Not only that, Advaita asserts, several times in several texts of the Upanishads, You, I, everything, is Brhman and nothing but Brahman. That is the message.

When viewed as a deity, it is Ishvara, the creator of AND the world. The created and the creator are the same. He is the law giver and the law, Karmaphala, the result of action. When you heat water it boils and bubbles. The boiling is the visible karmaphala of heating. There are also unseen results of karmaphala, such as prayer, acts of compassion and courage and sacrifice, acts of cruelty and hate. Both seen and unseen WILL unfailingly manifest. The is the order of the universe. Ishvara is not judgmental or capricious , he is impartial, results per the action. He is also merciful, is abundant joy, and pure knowledge. We as human beings reflect all those qualities ourselves such as when we hand out money or food for the homeless, when we thrill to music and dance, when we understand a joke and laugh with pleasure.
Happy birthday to Jesus!

Old 12-25-2022, 09:31 AM

Quote:

the post above mentions some very very good points.
which i agree with.

no judgment, check. i agree.
no specific path required (ie this or that specific flavor of religion and spirituality), check. i agree.
personal quest, openness of mind, spiritual journey, check. i agree.
aware stillness, transcends thoughts and mind, universal truth exists, check. i agree.

there are paths of religion and spirituality which embrace and accept all of those. they tend to be the paths which do not proselytize, and which do not seek converts, and which do not claim to be the "only" way.

Old 12-25-2022, 09:44 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Nice post — couldn’t rep you again

What Mystic calls the Mind of Christ and what contemporary Advaita often refers to as TRUTH is the divine KNOWINGNESS that comes from experiencing God in aware stillness. It is outside thought and the working of the mind — although the mind can jump on it with analysis, emotions, curiosity and ego — it is original TRUTH and revelation not from the mind.
In its perennial divine truths it BURNS through the contradictions to simplified CLARITY
like the pressing and sorting of coal into diamonds.

The religions of humans have taken these perennial spiritual TRUTHS [principles] like “you reap what you sow” which is the same as the simple truth of Karma into vastly complex dogma, rulings, and contradictions but the simple clear divine KNOWINGNESS that originally comes from these teachings is not from the mind. We can experience it as the mind of Christ, the SELF, Buddha Nature, the SOURCE, etc etc— labeling it is the need of the human mind to do so and thus can start “religions”

What I bolded = woo.

What I underlined -- you almost got to what you folks should be doing: putting aside the 'magic' and discussing principles and deciding if the principles (regardless of the woo) are valid.

Old 12-25-2022, 12:00 PM

12,033 posts, read 6,564,574 times
Question for the atheists :

Could you indulge my curiosity for a moment and sit quietly for a few minutes with this question ?

WHAT IS IT that’s looking out of your eyes right now?
What is it that sees and experiences all this?

Is it a sterile perfection of protein synthesis, the complex comings and goings of molecules, cellular activity, biology, chemistry and physics?
Or is there something ineffable and unexplainable?

WHAT IS IT that is looking out of your eyes right now?

Thanks….

Old 12-25-2022, 12:14 PM

19,973 posts, read 13,459,195 times
Quote:

Could you indulge my curiosity for a moment and sit quietly for a few minutes with this question ?

Is it a sterile perfection of protein synthesis, the complex comings and goings of molecules, cellular activity, biology, chemistry and physics?

Thanks….
You cross-posted this in R&S under "I am spiritual but not religious”, what does it mean?", which I think is contrary to the terms of service -- but I responded to your question there. In retrospect this is probably a better place for the question, arguably.

Old 12-25-2022, 12:15 PM

15,853 posts, read 6,313,875 times
Quote:

Thanks….
Sentience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism