Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2022, 08:24 PM

22,152 posts, read 19,206,964 times

Advertisements

for instance, a person can list beliefs which they hold.
for each belief on the list, they can consider and choose whether to "believe" it (keep the belief) or choose to "not believe" it (discard the belief).

for instance growing up children may believe what they are told (at home, or at school, or by friends, or by family, or in books).

however as adults we are free to consciously examine and identify the beliefs we hold, and then then choose as adults whether to keep or discard those beliefs. this is a useful and ongoing exercise which people can do throughout their life. i distinctly remember in my early 30s when it dawned on me that something i had believed about myself my whole life was simply not true. In fact the opposite was true. It was momentous because close on the heels of that discovery, was the really earthshaking thought "If they lied to me about that then what else did they lie to me about?" Which has since morphed into "If I believed that, then what else have i been told about myself that is simply not true?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2022, 08:26 PM

15,853 posts, read 6,311,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
"rational people do not choose to believe what they believe."
that is not a rational statement.
Could you choose to not believe in God if you wanted to?

Old 12-27-2022, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
people may have reasons for their beliefs.
based on those reasons they choose what to believe.

think of it this way.
Do you believe that "a person chooses what to say" OR do you believe that "spoken words just happen" "a person does not have a choice what they say" "spoken words have a life of their own and what a person says is out of their control" "a person can't change what they say"

it's the same rationale.
do you believe that "a person chooses what to believe" OR do you believe that "beliefs just happen" "a person does not have a choice what they believe" "beliefs have a life of their own and what a person believes is out of their control" "a person can't change what they believe"

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 12-27-2022 at 08:45 PM..

Old 12-27-2022, 08:48 PM

7,027 posts, read 4,889,008 times
For myself, becoming an atheist was because of an inability to reconcile what I saw with what I had been taught.

God is supposed to be a loving father who is to be obeyed or bad things happen. My own father liked to think he was a loving father who definitely had to be obeyed or I'd get hit with a belt. I didn't love my own father and I sure wasn't going to try to love another one who, to my mind, was exactly the same. Especially one who let his own son die.

Then there were all the contradictions in the Bible. Jesus loved children but all the first born sons of Egypt were killed. God loves people but he sent a flood to kill everyone.

I still hear references to a "loving father" and I see so many people hurting and dying and living miserable lives. I don't care that I will "understand one day". If there's an almighty God and he lets these things happen, it's not right.

Then I saw that every single religion had its own god and each religion thought it had the one and only true god. To me, that wasn't logical, especially as so many of them spent so much time fighting about whose god was best.

And of course now I see so many so-called "Christians" who seem to do and act just the opposite of what they say they believe in. With people like that populating heaven, who needs hell?

So I don't believe in the Christian god or really any other god. Maybe these reasons are why other people don't either.

Old 12-27-2022, 08:52 PM

15,952 posts, read 7,015,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Yes, that is a choice one makes. Time and again there are atheists here who say the very thing, don’t they? Or they try another religion, and yet another, one that is Godless. To be religious is to believe in a deity or divinity.

Old 12-27-2022, 08:54 PM

15,952 posts, read 7,015,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
For myself, becoming an atheist was because of an inability to reconcile what I saw with what I had been taught.

God is supposed to be a loving father who is to be obeyed or bad things happen. My own father liked to think he was a loving father who definitely had to be obeyed or I'd get hit with a belt. I didn't love my own father and I sure wasn't going to try to love another one who, to my mind, was exactly the same. Especially one who let his own son die.

Then there were all the contradictions in the Bible. Jesus loved children but all the first born sons of Egypt were killed. God loves people but he sent a flood to kill everyone.

I still hear references to a "loving father" and I see so many people hurting and dying and living miserable lives. I don't care that I will "understand one day". If there's an almighty God and he lets these things happen, it's not right.

Then I saw that every single religion had its own god and each religion thought it had the one and only true god. To me, that wasn't logical, especially as so many of them spent so much time fighting about whose god was best.

And of course now I see so many so-called "Christians" who seem to do and act just the opposite of what they say they believe in. With people like that populating heaven, who needs hell?

So I don't believe in the Christian god or really any other god. Maybe these reasons are why other people don't either.
You made a choice to not believe.

Old 12-27-2022, 09:04 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,865,611 times
Quote:
people may have reasons for their beliefs.
based on those reasons they choose what to believe.

think of it this way.
Do you believe that "a person chooses what to say" OR do you believe that "spoken words just happen" "a person does not have a choice what they say" "spoken words have a life of their own and what a person says is out of their control" "a person can't change what they say"

it's the same rationale.
do you believe that "a person chooses what to believe" OR do you believe that "beliefs just happen" "a person does not have a choice what they believe" "beliefs have a life of their own and what a person believes is out of their control" "a person can't change what they believe"
To reach a point where you believe something is true, particular something that is profound, is the point where there is such clarity, that it would be difficult to imagine making any other choice.

Old 12-27-2022, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
To reach a point where you believe something is true, particular something that is profound, is the point where there is such clarity, that it would be difficult to imagine making any other choice.
any belief, profound or not, clarity or not, is still a belief, and is still a choice.

whether it is i believe that is the best route to drive to work, or i believe it's time to leave this marriage.

Old 12-27-2022, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
You made a choice to not believe.
I wonder how many Athiests made that choice because they were simply disenfranchised with their religion vs those who simply simply learned through study of science, that there is simply no need for a god and that the physical laws of the universe can explain everything, everything known and everything not unknown. It could be a combination of the two or simply one or the other but fascinating nonetheless.

Last edited by fusion2; 12-27-2022 at 09:52 PM..

Old 12-27-2022, 09:18 PM

Quote:
any belief, profound or not, clear or not, is still a belief, and is still a choice.

whether it is i believe that is the best route to drive to work, or i believe it's time to leave this marriage.
I'm not trying to eliminate the choice and some choices are pretty easy. I'm speaking more in terms of the profound. Embarking on a spiritual journey that bears such fruit, it would be difficult to imagine in light of what you have learned, what you have experienced that you would choose something else. It would be a dissonant choice. Leaving a marriage is also profound, it probably doesn't just happen, it's a process and that point where you leave it, I think it would be difficult to stay. Sure its a choice but it is probably the only choice one could make at that moment based on everything that got them to that point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism