Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2022, 10:54 AM

16,762 posts, read 4,968,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I'm all good with that. If not for the experiences I have had, i'd likely be in the same shoes as you. Alas, I have had those experiences and they are a part of me hence my position.

Just take into account that the experiences you have not had, that others have had doesn't invalid them for the individual who has had them. And, these individuals not all of them, are coming from a position whereby there is no deep seeded requirement to have or expectation for a god, but they still ocurred and shaped their view. For them, the possibility of god is the best explanation to circle the square of their experience.
One person I have personally met experiences talking to the biblical god, who helps with his shopping. Another experiences 2 meter tall lobster men. And one person I know of has experienced talking to a fictional character.

For me, an experience is not necessarily the best explanation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2022, 11:16 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
One person I have personally met experiences talking to the biblical god, who helps with his shopping. Another experiences 2 meter tall lobster men. And one person I know of has experienced talking to a fictional character.

For me, an experience is not necessarily the best explanation.
Talk to more people who don't see 2 meter tall lobster men. I think individuals who are on a spiritual journey are a bit more grounded in reality than that. That said, you are under no obligation and can continue down your path. As i've said before, i respect an athiest thinking for himself, more than a hardcore fundamental theist believing every rule the bible tells him to follow and not thinking dynamically.

Essentially though, this will always be the fundamental chasm between theists and atheists. Although I suspect there is a spectrum from both. It is also human nature to fill in gaps of the unknown with inferences so we can make sense of our reality. Oddly it is easier and more necessary for us to do this than to simply say I don't know and that is ok I don't.

Old 12-28-2022, 04:00 PM

15,849 posts, read 6,308,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
people may have reasons for their beliefs.
based on those reasons they choose what to believe.

think of it this way.
Do you believe that "a person chooses what to say" OR do you believe that "spoken words just happen" "a person does not have a choice what they say" "spoken words have a life of their own and what a person says is out of their control" "a person can't change what they say"

it's the same rationale.
do you believe that "a person chooses what to believe" OR do you believe that "beliefs just happen" "a person does not have a choice what they believe" "beliefs have a life of their own and what a person believes is out of their control" "a person can't change what they believe"
Could you choose to not believe in God if you wanted to?

Old 12-28-2022, 05:05 PM

15,945 posts, read 7,012,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Could you choose to not believe in God if you wanted to?
happens all the time.

Old 12-28-2022, 05:06 PM

11,068 posts, read 7,135,481 times
Do studies and statistics and what other people say and indicate mean that much to you? Is that something that atheism requires? If nothing shows atheism growing, do you just give up?

I rely on no external source for approval or justification. Nothing outside of me is sought or needed.

Old 12-28-2022, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
happens all the time.
Could you choose not to believe in God?

Old 12-28-2022, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Do studies and statistics and what other people say and indicate mean that much to you? Is that something that atheism requires? If nothing shows atheism growing, do you just give up?

I rely on no external source for approval or justification. Nothing outside of me is sought or needed.
No. Why would you assume otherwise of anyone else then?

Old 12-28-2022, 05:26 PM

11,068 posts, read 7,135,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
No. Why would you assume otherwise of anyone else then?
Seems like people here would be above that type of thing, as a form of cheerleading. Some of the responses seem to be giving high-fives and kudos as such.

Old 12-28-2022, 05:28 PM

7,027 posts, read 4,887,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
You made a choice to not believe.
Not really.

I didn't just hear someone talk about atheism and decide that was my bag on some particular day.

This argument on choice is a lot like what I hear when I tell people I don't want kids. I'm constantly asked why. There really is no why. I just don't want them because...I don't want them.

Likewise, I don't believe because I don't believe. But I'm not sure I ever believed anyway, and you can't really choose to not believe in something when you never really believed in it in the first place.

The reasons I posted were formed after growing up and finally being able to put my finger on why religion never attracted me, even when I was small and being indoctrinated by parents, clergy, and society.

Old 12-28-2022, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Seems like people here would be above that type of thing, as a form of cheerleading. Some of the responses seem to be giving high-fives and kudos as such.
You didn't respond to anyone doing that specifically. If being an atheist was about bandwagoning or high fives or being cool we wouldn't be atheists. Atheism is a minority conclusion. This whole line of reasoning is akin to claiming people choose to be gay or straight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism