Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2023, 07:50 AM

17,778 posts, read 13,673,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Grace is just a graceful way of saying karmaphala, fruit of actions (stealing from Swami Dayananda Saraswati )
You may call it luck, but seeking the Self, this knowledge of the Self is more than a lucky break. It is a lifelong impulse, an attraction that comes naturally, and does not cease.
Words cannot convey the fragrance, true. But once we know what it is, through experienced for sure, we know what it is, and also what it is not. That is knowledge. Analogies are not perfect, they can only get us so far.
The Self, atma, is to be known. We already experience it, it is not separate from us. The flashes of joy and beauty and compassion, and our awareness of it is the reflection of the Self alone. The inquiry into the nature of the Self is through means of knowledge, not experience. What needs practice is perfecting the attitude that is required, to qualify ourself to receive the knowledge.
All that stuff is real nice. Smelling roses, knowing self, flashes of joy and beauty and compassion and reflections of self, etc.

What it has to do with the the topic of rising numbers of atheists growing across the world I do not know.

But I certainly don't think atheists care about all that stuff one way or another for the most part. You can participate in all that spiritual type of stuff without having to believe in stories that aren't true. You can participate in all that stuff without demanding that everybody else do yoga, or meditate or whatever. You can do all that stuff without making claims about the eternal destiny of others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2023, 08:20 AM

15,952 posts, read 7,015,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
All that stuff is real nice. Smelling roses, knowing self, flashes of joy and beauty and compassion and reflections of self, etc.

What it has to do with the the topic of rising numbers of atheists growing across the world I do not know.

But I certainly don't think atheists care about all that stuff one way or another for the most part. You can participate in all that spiritual type of stuff without having to believe in stories that aren't true. You can participate in all that stuff without demanding that everybody else do yoga, or meditate or whatever. You can do all that stuff without making claims about the eternal destiny of others.
Same to you!

Old 01-01-2023, 08:41 AM

15,952 posts, read 7,015,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
]

Nice post ^^^

And to the bolded:
“Let come what comes, let go what goes. See what remains." - Ramana Maharshi

Only the Self, not the I.

Old 01-01-2023, 08:58 AM

22,152 posts, read 19,206,964 times
Quote:
All that stuff is real nice. Smelling roses, knowing self, flashes of joy and beauty and compassion and reflections of self, etc. What it has to do with the the topic of rising numbers of atheists growing across the world I do not know. But I certainly don't think atheists care about all that stuff one way or another for the most part. You can participate in all that spiritual type of stuff without having to believe in stories that aren't true. You can participate in all that stuff without demanding that everybody else do yoga, or meditate or whatever. You can do all that stuff without making claims about the eternal destiny of others.
an atheist making claims about believers,
is no different than a believer making claims about atheists.

it's the same behavior

Old 01-01-2023, 09:36 AM

4,640 posts, read 1,788,660 times
Quote:

The "stories" aren't the point. The message in the "stories" is the point and yes...some people understand the message through the stories.

Old 01-01-2023, 09:42 AM

22,152 posts, read 19,206,964 times
there are some atheists who are literalists, in the same way there are some believers who are literalists.
if a literalist is a fundamentalist, then there are atheist fundamentalists.

it is the same behavior.

"Fundamentalism is a tendency among certain groups and individuals that is characterized by the application of a strict literal interpretation to scriptures, dogmas, or ideologies." There are atheists posting here on CD whose posts demonstrate that they fall into this category.

Old 01-01-2023, 11:09 AM

12,033 posts, read 6,564,574 times
]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
there are some atheists who are literalists, in the same way there are some believers who are literalists.

it is the same behavior.

"Fundamentalism is a tendency among certain groups and individuals that is characterized by the application of a strict literal interpretation to scriptures, dogmas, or ideologies." There are atheists posting here on CD whose posts demonstrate that they fall into this category.

(The Bolded) I’ve been calling it atheist evangelism — the preaching, lecturing, demeaning, belittling insulting, the guilting, the condescension, but it has a fundamentalism aspect also. They are just the flip side of the same coin of fundamental religious evangelists.
There are also mature atheists here that raise valuable insights, inquiries, and challenges to those of us with awakened spiritual lives.

Last edited by mountainrose; 01-01-2023 at 11:17 AM..

Old 01-01-2023, 11:13 AM

12,033 posts, read 6,564,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post

Only the Self, not the I.

The awakening happens in finding “that which remains.”:

Old 01-01-2023, 11:16 AM

4,640 posts, read 1,788,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post

it is the same behavior.

Absolutely! I kinda wonder sometimes if the 'militant' atheist is militant because they were once a militant Christian...

...and they would be militant in ALL areas of their lives, not matter what religious/non-religious philosophy they have.

Old 01-01-2023, 12:11 PM

15,853 posts, read 6,313,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
]

Nice post ^^^

And to the bolded:
“Let come what comes, let go what goes. See what remains." - Ramana Maharshi
What do you think about the phrase "feel bad about yourself because you did something wrong?" It sounds highly egocentric to me? Am I the only one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism