Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2023, 02:10 PM

7,588 posts, read 4,158,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Of course, none of this makes any sense if you don’t believe in God or Jesus.
I wouldn't say it doesn't make sense to a non-believer always. I would say a non-believer may ask why it has to be that way, but then decide that it may not actually be that way. So once a person doesn't accept a tenet of a religion, the person pretty much doesn't believe in their God. Some may just believe in a different type of god (even though others may say that it is the same God). Atheists just decide there is no god. Deciding to be an atheist is about as dramatic as a person saying they don't agree with a religion's interpretation of the Bible. It's not always that they don't understand - just that they don't accept what is being said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2023, 06:01 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,739,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
I wouldn't say it doesn't make sense to a non-believer always. I would say a non-believer may ask why it has to be that way, but then decide that it may not actually be that way. So once a person doesn't accept a tenet of a religion, the person pretty much doesn't believe in their God. Some may just believe in a different type of god (even though others may say that it is the same God). Atheists just decide there is no god. Deciding to be an atheist is about as dramatic as a person saying they don't agree with a religion's interpretation of the Bible. It's not always that they don't understand - just that they don't accept what is being said.
True. Having grown up in a fundagelical home. I'm pretty sure I understand the beliefs reasonably well. I just think they're crazy.

Old 04-26-2023, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
True. Having grown up in a fundagelical home. I'm pretty sure I understand the beliefs reasonably well. I just think they're crazy.
Yes. The idea that a god was behind the Bible is not acceptable to me. A believer would say, "You don't understand." No. I can understand why they want to believe it, which is how the connection between God and the Bible happens. That's different than it actually being fact.

Old 04-26-2023, 11:35 AM

15,952 posts, read 7,015,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Yes. The idea that a god was behind the Bible is not acceptable to me. A believer would say, "You don't understand." No. I can understand why they want to believe it, which is how the connection between God and the Bible happens. That's different than it actually being fact.
Can you accept that inspiration and understanding are not explainable? The source of that as god/divinity?

Old 04-26-2023, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Can you accept that inspiration and understanding are not explainable? The source of that as god/divinity?
I believe I can understand the bolded, but explaining it would be a challenge. Even if I could explain it, that doesn't mean a believer has to accept what I have to say. I wouldn't categorize them into the same position that an atheist has been categorized just because they don't accept god/divinity claims.

Old 04-26-2023, 06:19 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,673,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
To be fair, I don't think the people are crazy, they just believe in stuff that is crazy because A) they've had it drilled into their heads since they were knee high to grasshoppers B) They are afraid of death or they are afraid of being dead and not living forever C) They are looking for some sort of fulfillment that they perceive will come through Jesus and God while they are alive

There is of course another category that I even as a non believer could be in. D) I now realize I am going to live and die...... and never know how we got here... and not learn any other answers concerning the mysteries of the universe. I'll just be dead like one of those doornails they always talk about.

Old 04-27-2023, 12:16 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,739,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Yes, of course "inspiration and understanding" are not necessarily understandable. But I deny the idea that god/divinity is the only possible source.

We KNOW that much of what goes on in our minds is subconscious, and that often our thoughts about why we are doing something are after-the-fact justifications. When a good idea or insight pops into my mind all of a sudden, I attribute it to my subconscious working. Seems much more likely to me than an omniscient, omnipotent, incorporeal, eternal being suddenly becoming concerned about what I should do about about a problematic relationship or a work issue or an intellectual question and sending me a special, unsigned message via mental telepathy.

https://qz.com/1569158/neuroscientis...dict-decisions
https://www.sciencealert.com/neurosc...al-cortex-role
https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...waking-moment/

Last edited by jacqueg; 04-27-2023 at 01:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism