Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2023, 10:52 AM

10,717 posts, read 5,658,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Do you seriously believe any bishop has ever told a member of his congregation to "Pay up or get out"? I can't believe you do. Of course I don't know how every bishop handles tithing settlement and temple recommend interviews, but I know how they are supposed to.
Do I believe any Bishop has actually used those exact words? No. However, I KNOW Bishops that have used similar language that conveys that exact idea, when it comes to temple recommends.

Quote:
I'm not sure which "contention" you're referring to, but I seriously doubt anybody participating on this thread would actually care.
Did you really miss the pink highlight? I was referring to your claim that “Hundreds and hundreds of thousands of them, in fact” don’t pay tithing, but are active in the Church. If that’s a made up statistic, admit to it. If it’s an actual statistic, post up the evidence that supports it. Pretty simple really. . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2023, 11:03 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Do I believe any Bishop has actually used those exact words? No. However, I KNOW Bishops that have used similar language that conveys that exact idea, when it comes to temple recommends.
And you know what? I don't believe you. Unless you have actually heard a bishop say anything like that (i.e. "If you don't pay tithing, we don't want you here."), you're getting your information second-hand, and it's no more reliable than mine.

Quote:
Did you really miss the pink highlight?
Yes, actually, I did.

Quote:
I was referring to your claim that “Hundreds and hundreds of thousands of them, in fact” don’t pay tithing, but are active in the Church. If that’s a made up statistic, admit to it. If it’s an actual statistic, post up the evidence that supports it. Pretty simple really. . .
Oh my gosh. Yes, it was a guess, but I'd say that in a church of 16 million people, it's wasn't an unrealistic one. (And no, I'm not claiming that all 16 million are active, so you need not call me out on that.) There are 31,330 congregations in the Church today. If there were even ten active members in each congregation that weren't paying tithing, that would amount to hundreds of thousands of people. For quite a number of years, my husband and I didn't pay any tithing at all and yet we continued to be active members of the Church. I'm reasonably certain that we weren't alone.

Last edited by Katzpur; 08-02-2023 at 11:16 AM..

Old 08-02-2023, 11:16 AM

Quote:
And you know what? I don't believe you. Unless you have actually heard a bishop say anything like that, you're getting your information second-hand, and it's no more reliable than mine.
Of course I’ve actually heard Bishops say exactly what I’ve claimed. My knowledge is firsthand, not hearsay.

As I’ve told you before, I’ve probably lived in more areas and attended more LDS wards than you have. My experience is extensive, and I don’t make stuff up.

Old 08-02-2023, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Of course I’ve actually heard Bishops say exactly what I’ve claimed. My knowledge is firsthand, not hearsay.
You certainly do love that emoji, don't you? I still don't believe you. Exactly how many bishops have told you that if you don't pay tithing, you're not welcome in the Church?

Quote:
As I’ve told you before, I’ve probably lived in more areas and attended more LDS wards than you have.
And in 74 years of membership, I've probably had more bishops than you have.

Quote:
My experience is extensive, and I don’t make stuff up.
And you always tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, huh? Now it's my turn to .

Last edited by Katzpur; 08-02-2023 at 11:27 AM..

Old 08-02-2023, 11:26 AM

Quote:
You certainly do love that emoji, don't you? I still don't believe you.
Ah, so you must have a “burning in the bosom” that tells you I’m lying.

I’ve never once said anything about Mormonism nor my experiences with Mormonism that is untrue. You just don’t like your self anointed position as the “disseminater of all things Mormon” on CD being challenged.

Old 08-02-2023, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Ah, so you must have a “burning in the bosom” that tells you I’m lying.
Nobody said anything about a "burning in the bosom," did they? No, I've just come to know how you play the game.

Quote:
I’ve never once said anything about Mormonism nor my experiences with Mormonism that is untrue. You just don’t like your self anointed position as the “disseminater of all things Mormon” on CD being challenged.
I've never pretended to be the "disseminator of all things Mormon," either. Since I'm the only Latter-day Saint who posts on the religion forum, of course I'm going to speak up when the subject of my religion comes up. Most people have found that they can trust me for accurate information. I understand that your experience in the Church was different from mine, so I would expect your posts to contradict mine.

Why don't we just stop pretending and admit that we don't like each other?

Last edited by Katzpur; 08-02-2023 at 11:45 AM..

Old 08-02-2023, 11:33 AM

Quote:
You certainly do love that emoji, don't you? I still don't believe you. Exactly how many bishops have told you that if you don't pay tithing, you're not welcome in the Church?
Ah, once again you engage in that time honored Mormon tactic of trying to change that which is actually being discussed. The issue is payment of tithing and temple attendance, not whether or not one would be welcome in the Church. Nice try.

Quote:
And in 74 years of membership, I've probably had more bishops than you have.
With the average length of time a bishop serves being five years, you would most assuredly be wrong. My number of bishops is driven by locations, not total time of membership.

Quote:
And you always tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, huh? Now it's my turn to .
You’ve always been free to show that anything I’ve said is untrue. So far, you’ve failed to do so. You just don’t like what I have to say.

Old 08-02-2023, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Nobody said anything about a "burning in the bosom," did they?
No. That’s simply the mechanism by which Mormons “know” things when there is no evidence supporting that “knowledge.”

Quote:
Why don't we just stop pretending and admit that we don't like each other?
Who’s pretending?

Old 08-02-2023, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Don't tell me that you seriously believe that Mormon bishops tells any member of their congregation to, "Pay up or get out."
Quote:
Quote:
Unless you have actually heard a bishop say anything like that (i.e. "If you don't pay tithing, we don't want you here."), you're getting your information second-hand, and it's no more reliable than mine.
Quote:
We were talking about bishops telling people to "pay up or get out."

Quote:
Ah, once again you engage in that time honored Mormon tactic of trying to change that which is actually being discussed. The issue is payment of tithing and temple attendance, not whether or not one would be welcome in the Church. Nice try.
Quote:
With the average length of time a bishop serves being five years, you would most assuredly be wrong. My number of bishops is driven by locations, not total time of membership.
Okay, if you've had more than 15 bishops, you win. The location, however, is immaterial. All bishops use the same handbook, and are to follow the same rules.

Old 08-02-2023, 11:42 AM

Quote:
No. That’s simply the mechanism by which Mormons “know” things when there is no evidence supporting that “knowledge.”
I've never felt that and I've never relied on it.

Quote:
Who’s pretending?
Well, I'm glad that's settled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism