Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2023, 03:05 AM

16,768 posts, read 4,974,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
When it comes to morality, it seems that theists are in the same boat as atheists.

Atheists: they make up a moral code

Theists: they make up a god that makes up a moral code

Not much difference, really.
True, but many theists do not apply their own arguments to their own gods. People making up moral codes is subjective, but when a god does it, it is for some reason objective. And following the logic of their arguments, a god could decide the holocaust is morally good. And all based on presuming morality is objective and that objective truths must come from a god.

Old 08-29-2023, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
However you want to put it, you can't get around it.

Belief in the existence of God and religious morality is based on faith. There is no physical and tangible evidence.
I can open my Bible to Leviticus and Deuteronomy, where there is a physical and tangible evidence of a religious morality. Are you saying religious people follow a different morality?

Quote:
If there was one, we wouldn't have a choice, and everyone would be a believer.
No, we would have a choice to evaluate that morality. And we have, we reject a large part of it. Try following OT morality and you will probably end up in jail.

Old 08-29-2023, 03:50 AM

Quote:
It’s finally getting a little interesting after 25 pages.
That is strange, I thought it stopped being interesting after 25 posts.

Quote:
Let’s take a step back to see where we at.

ALL atheists believe in the existence of morality.
No Atheist is able to provide a physical, tangible or a scientific evidence to prove the existence of morality.

What Atheists tend to agree is that evidence of existence of morality is a logical one, and not a physical or scientific one.
There is a passage in the Bible about building a house on sand.

Old 08-29-2023, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMO View Post
Since the moral code of an Atheist is a personal subjective code, it is easy to provide evidence. All the Atheist has to do is quote his or her own beliefs and say they are proof of morality.
That is a very simple view of morality. Just because some parts are subjective (cultural or personal) does not make all of morality subjective.

Old 08-29-2023, 03:55 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,158,224 times
Quote:
interesting.
Do you have an example of this? I would like to validate such an evidence.
One man tells another man not to commit adultery because it is immoral and will only bring trouble. Then when the faithless act is committed and there is turmoil and regret, the righteous one can say to themselves or to others, "See, I told him not to do it."

Your comment about wanting to validate such evidence is an interesting one. I did not provide evidence. Instead, I provided claims, reasoning, and examples. Examples are not evidence. Evidence you see with your own eyes.

Old 08-29-2023, 04:16 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,158,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
That is a very simple view of morality. Just because some parts are subjective (cultural or personal) does not make all of morality subjective.
Harry, could you please give an example of morality being objective? The only thing I can think of is to respect the autonomy of a living creature.

Personally, I don't separate objective and subjective from those who can perceive through the senses. Objectiveness is what has the potential to be sensed. Subjectiveness is what we call it when we sense it.

Old 08-29-2023, 04:41 AM

419 posts, read 220,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
How is that situation improved if good and evil only exist in the mind of god? It's still a construct of a mind.

In any case, as I've mentioned, theists are in the main fine with select kinds of murder. Shooting someone in self defense, or under orders in war, or an executioner working for the state, etc.

They're even fine for the most part with a cop shooting a suspect IN THE BACK for having the temerity to flee the officer. Clearly no self-defense involved.

So don't pretend that theist moral convictions around murder are "fixed" or "objective" or even logically consistent.

Of course I supposed you can redefine the above situations as "not murder" to pretend there's no subjectivity involved. But the "taking of human life by another human" is what I'm talking about.
I only support murder in self defense or if we're killing child rapists. Or if they live in the hood and they have to kill to survive. But yeah murder ain't evil, but most forms of murder are evil for my personal moral code and to pretty much everyone.

Old 08-29-2023, 05:04 AM

16,665 posts, read 15,660,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
GoCardinals, what evidence do you have that morality exists within religion?
Quote:
Religious morality is primarily based on faith - and having faith does not require evidence.

If an evidence is provided then it’s not faith anymore.

There is also a logical piece of having a religious based morality.

Logically it makes sense to a believer to have religious base moral code.

And obviously, this religious based morality does not always logically sit very well with the mindset of an Atheist

ps: we have already established that there is perhaps no physical, tangible evidence of morality - to begin with.
Morality is something supported by most religions, but the morality does not come from religion. The morality exists in society regardless on one's religion. You can see that people behave in similar ways within a society, even though they may belong to different religions.

Old 08-29-2023, 05:07 AM

Quote:
If no,
How come many Atheists claim to have a moral code?

If yes,
Please provide your evidence to prove that morality exists.

If you don’t have an evidence but you still believe morality exists then please provide your rationale?
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Please provide evidence that morality exists in the "deist world."

Though as far as I know, atheists and theists share one world, so please also provide evidence there is some kind of separation.
I hope you aren't expecting to get an answer. The person you are addressing won't even tell us what his "Atheist world" is.

Old 08-29-2023, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Because Atheists tend to demand evidence in order to believe in the existence of an entity.
What does that have to do with morality?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism