Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2023, 11:38 AM

975 posts, read 536,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
If no,
How come many Atheists claim to have a moral code?

If yes,
Please provide your evidence to prove that morality exists.

If you don’t have an evidence but you still believe morality exists then please provide your rationale?
What, you think religion or belief in a deity is the only way to have morals? Morals have nothing to do with belief in a deity or religion. Some of us were born with an idea that we did not want to hurt others or be hurt by others, emotionally or physically. We were taught rules about how to act in society and we were taught that the laws exist for a reason. Belieif in a religion or deity are not required to have morals. I have found some people who spend a lot of time proclaiming they are "good christians" who are severly lacking in morality.

That being said maybe it would help if you defined what you think morality is. I may be totally misunderstanding your use of the word.

Old 08-24-2023, 11:43 AM

975 posts, read 536,563 times
Quote:
really?
I don't think I had a mention of "religion" anywhere in the OP. Do you wanna try reading again?

It seems like you are reluctant to answer the question cuz you may feel it's a trap?

No, it's a simple basic question WITHOUT religion being involved.

Even though I did not mention religion, but are you saying, religious morality does not exist or religious people cannot have morality? Morality ONLY exist outside of religion?

But why are we attempting to derail the thread?

If you believe morality exists (regardless of outside the religion or not), please provide your evidence to prove it's existence?

If you don't have an evidence that morality exists, then please provide your rationale behind it? Is it a gut feeling? Is it a hunch? Is it a guess? Everyone else believes it exists, and you go with the flow?
When you use the term atheist as part of your question you imply "as opposed to those who believe in a deity".

Old 08-24-2023, 11:46 AM

16,768 posts, read 4,974,055 times
Quote:
If no,

If yes,

If you don’t have an evidence but you still believe morality exists then please provide your rationale?
There is over 2000 years of scientific and philosophical works on morality and why we should be moral, the answer is because it benefits society. That is why different cultures with different religions have a similar basic moral code, because an important part of morality is innate in human existence. The religious need to explain this similarity, atheists do not.

The religious adopt human morality and pretend it comes from their gods, that is why many ancient religious moral systems are rejected, because they are cultural relics from societies that no longer exist. Try it, live by the Levitical moral code and see how long it takes before you are thrown into jail. Our moral code improves as we learn more about why we should be moral beings, an advantage over that of an alleged god given morality that does not explain why we should be moral.

Old 08-24-2023, 11:55 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat56 View Post
What, you think religion or belief in a deity is the only way to have morals? Morals have nothing to do with belief in a deity or religion. Some of us were born with an idea that we did not want to hurt others or be hurt by others, emotionally or physically. We were taught rules about how to act in society and we were taught that the laws exist for a reason. Belieif in a religion or deity are not required to have morals. I have found some people who spend a lot of time proclaiming they are "good christians" who are severly lacking in morality.

I was thinking over where did I get my moral system from?

Was it from the methodist church that i was required to go to weekly from age 8-16? Hard no.

Was it from the catholic religion that I adopted after that? Even harder no.

So where did it come from:

Mrs. Wilson, Mrs. Redmond, Miss Cook, Miss Smith, and Mr. Taber -- 5 public school teachers that never mentioned religion, but set the example for how to treat others.

Old 08-24-2023, 12:22 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,673,847 times
Quote:
If no,

If yes,

No, morality (as you think it is defined) does not exist in the atheist world.

Atheists realize that "morality" is just part of a social construct that has evolved starting when Og and Uhg first realized that it was easier to survive as a group than to try and survive solo.

So it does exist in that sense. Morality is ever changing in a society.... so it never did exist as some sort of immutable universal constant like you believe it does. There are a gazillion examples of changing "morality". The acceptance of becoming unacceptable being one of the more obvious.

Old 08-24-2023, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
No, morality (as you think it is defined) does not exist in the atheist world.

Atheists realize that "morality" is just part of a social construct that has evolved starting when Og and Uhg first realized that it was easier to survive as a group than to try and survive solo.

So it does exist in that sense. Morality is ever changing in a society.... so it never did exist as some sort of immutable universal constant like you believe it does. There are a gazillion examples of changing "morality". The acceptance of becoming unacceptable being one of the more obvious.
Ah...thank you for reminding me/us of that phrase -- social contract.

Old 08-24-2023, 01:18 PM

7,244 posts, read 7,069,492 times
Quote:
If no,

If yes,

Old 08-24-2023, 01:20 PM

25,436 posts, read 9,796,800 times
Indeed it does.

Old 08-24-2023, 01:35 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,082,275 times
Not sure I understand the question, but I was not aware of morality existing IN or "ONLY IN" religion.
What morals? Many of the Christians from my younger years were racists, misogynists, homophobes, adulterers, hypocrites....

As an Atheist, I can set my own moral code.
Which is
1 Humanism is first. Humans will solve all human problems to the best of their knowledge and ability Religion may not be used to prevent human advancement

2 Human life is valuable. Human rights must be a consideration when making political and financial decisions

3 A Self Actualized human will do what he or she reasonably can to help all other fellow humans.

Anything else, well, animal rights maybe, but They are still a food source for the top human predator....Someone mentioned "God's rights"...there is no such thing. God is not real, and even if he/she/it were, it would not need any rights as a Deity.

Sure we can add more. But is this what you meant? Humanism and Humanitarianism?

Because not only does that exist outside of religion, it often does not exist inside of it either.

Old 08-24-2023, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Not sure I understand the question, but I was not aware of morality existing IN or "ONLY IN" religion.
What morals? Many of the Christians from my younger years were racists, misogynists, homophobes, adulterers, hypocrites....

As an Atheist, I can set my own moral code.
Which is
1 Humanism is first. Humans will solve all human problems to the best of their knowledge and ability Religion may not be used to prevent human advancement

2 Human life is valuable. Human rights must be a consideration when making political and financial decisions

3 A Self Actualized human will do what he or she reasonably can to help all other fellow humans.

Anything else, well, animal rights maybe, but They are still a food source for the top human predator....Someone mentioned "God's rights"...there is no such thing. God is not real, and even if he/she/it were, it would not need any rights as a Deity.

Sure we can add more. But is this what you meant? Humanism and Humanitarianism?

Because not only does that exist outside of religion, it often does not exist inside of it either.
Gold star!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism