Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2023, 05:20 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,083,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
It's probably true that most humans throughout history believed in one or more gods. But before you get too smug, realize that the vast majority of humans did not believe in your particular god.

Even today, devout Christians believe that the Muslim god is a false god. Likewise, devout Muslims believe the Christian god is a false god. Buddhists and Hindus don't believe in either god. And so forth.
Again, that’s irrelevant.
Whether Muslims, Christian, Jews, Hindus etc - they ALL have something in common that was observed by medical science. So that’s ONE huge group. Science did not tell us whether a Muslim has a different kind of brain reaction than a Christian.

So, one large group is comprised of majority - and hence it’s the norm.

Then you have a very small group that does not feel what normal people feel - and hence this small group is considered abnormal.

Old 08-29-2023, 05:59 PM

18,489 posts, read 9,151,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Whether Muslims, Christian, Jews, Hindus etc - they ALL have something in common that was observed by medical science. So that’s ONE huge group. Science did not tell us whether a Muslim has a different kind of brain reaction than a Christian.

Then you have a very small group that does not feel what normal people feel - and hence this small group is considered abnormal.

It may very well be normal for humans to believe in gods. But that doesn't mean said gods are actually real. I might encounter a god after smoking toad venom*, but that doesn't mean the god is real.

*yes, that's a real thing, you can Google it.

Old 08-29-2023, 06:05 PM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
We are talking in terms of observations made by medical science and not theological based divisions.

Medically and scientifically speaking - there are two groups - 84% vs 16%
The much larger and normal group has a certain Neuro chemical reaction in the bran - and even though they may be subdivided into separate religious groups, they all have that chemical reaction in the brain.

And then there is a 16% group of abnormals who are medically and scientifically unable to experience this chemical reaction in the brain.

Understand?
I understand what a divisive person you are.

Old 08-29-2023, 06:12 PM

27,546 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Is having a "Lack of belief in the existence of God (not having that experience of neurochemical reaction in the brain" abnormal?
The ancient Greeks were certain of the existence of Apollo, Zeus, Dionysus, and many other gods.

So, are we all now 100% psychologically abnormal since we no longer believe in Greek gods?

Old 08-29-2023, 06:42 PM

15,844 posts, read 6,308,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I understand what a divisive person you are.
I suggest not even reading these types of posts. It's like "being part of the world" to Christians. The biggest power move ever is letting someone be wrong about you. Don't let such nonsense into your paradise. Keep it out there.

Old 08-29-2023, 07:24 PM

22,146 posts, read 19,198,797 times
atheism is a fringe view.
there is no getting around that.

Old 08-29-2023, 07:25 PM

19,957 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Is having a "Lack of belief in the existence of God (not having that experience of neurochemical reaction in the brain" abnormal?
Your obsession with fitting in and conforming is noted.

Atheism is atypical, not abnormal.

Typically, people used to think the earth was flat, that bleeding and the use of leeches were valid medical treatments, and that there was no significant downside to being a heavy smoker. All very typical, and all very wrong.

In this particular matter, I'm glad to be atypical, and if you like, for the sake of argument, even abnormal.

Another point here: atheism is less atypical than it used to be. Eventually, theism may even become the atypical and non-default. Will that make those future theists wrong or bad or inferior or abnormal? Or just different?

More specifically, once upon a time, Christians and Muslims were a teeny-tiny minority, struggling to establish themselves amidst persecution because they were ... wait for it ... atypical. Different. Were they therefore abnormal and in need of normalizing?

Old 08-29-2023, 07:28 PM

10,522 posts, read 6,157,413 times
Quote:

No, YOU consider it 'abnormal'. You're the only one using that word.

But you have no intention of demeaning atheists. Yeah right.

Being outside of a majority does not equate to being abnormal. Or do you consider all minority groups abnormal?

Old 08-29-2023, 07:31 PM

19,957 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Thank you for that!

By his logic, blonds are abnormal. Bald is abnormal. And, he is in a distinct minority of the global populaton who participates in forums. He is soooooo very abnormal.
I DO hope he is not left-handed!

Old 08-29-2023, 08:15 PM

3,319 posts, read 1,814,733 times
If you think my being an atheist is abnormal feel free to pray for me.

I think theists are cognitively impaired... so I will think for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism