Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2023, 02:15 AM

15,862 posts, read 6,313,875 times

Advertisements

https://www.city-data.com/forum/athe...rmality-8.html

This thread was closed so I couldn't comment. This is in response to post #54.

What are we: sentient beings
First Principle: All sentient beings are end unto themselves. They must be treated with care and compassion at all times.

I get it, believe me I do. If we are taking about mocking a public figure I am all for this method. This idea that we can use another for our amusement is repulsive no matter who does it. We don't get to judge their thoughts. This is just as anti social as anything they are complaining about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2023, 03:13 AM

16,769 posts, read 4,974,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post

If you want to link directly to a post, you can click on the link number and copy the URL

Quote:
First Principle: All sentient beings are end unto themselves. They must be treated with care and compassion at all times.

I get it, believe me I do. If we are taking about mocking a public figure I am all for this method. This idea that we can use another for our amusement is repulsive no matter who does it.
Is it not a matter of degree? I am not asking that we put GoCardinals in a stock and then throw tomatoes at him.

Are we not allowed to use humor and satire to mock a silly argument? Does humor not provide a method of making a point more effective? Is gently mocking the obvious fact that he has either not read the links wrong, or has not understood what they are saying; or should I have called him a lying dishonest bigot stirring up trouble, and that his claim that we are abnormal is no better than what Hitler said about the Jews?

Quote:
We don't get to judge their thoughts. This is just as anti social as anything they are complaining about.
Yet you judged someone's thoughts when you accused them of being rude, and that they had a disingenuous intent to accuse? And you had the right, they put their thoughts on the internet for people to see.

Old 08-31-2023, 03:18 AM

Fair enough

Old 08-31-2023, 08:35 AM

50,777 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:

I get it, believe me I do. If we are taking about mocking a public figure I am all for this method. This idea that we can use another for our amusement is repulsive no matter who does it. We don't get to judge their thoughts. This is just as anti social as anything they are complaining about.
I'm not sure I agree with the bolded...specifically the bolded.

I believe in freedom of thought. I believe in freedom of speech.
But those freedoms, whether we are talking legal freedoms or natural freedoms, change the minute those freedoms bump up against another individual. Particularlly when you go someplace, use the freedom of speech to make a point to others. Like in a forum.

We may be talking about 2 different things here, but...believe it or not...to me, we are talking karma here...karma by the definition that it my belief in karma -- action results in reaction. A person speaks his mind, someone else reacts to that.

Again, we may be talking about 2 different things.

But also, I disagree with something else you said. Just because someone is a politician doesn't make them not another human being. Yesterday, when Mitch McConnell had another of his blank freezeups, I saw comments on another site that were overjoyed. Even though in firm opposition to him as a politician, I have sympathy -- great sympathy -- for him as he approaches end of life.

Old 08-31-2023, 09:27 AM

10,529 posts, read 6,162,156 times
To me it's very simple.
Would you be prepared to say what you are about to say, directly to someone's face in real life? If not, just try to find another way to say it. Simple.

It goes back partially to what I said in another thread: Empathy. It's about putting yourself in the other persons shoes. That's all it is.

We are none of us are perfect though and when there are as differing views as we have here, inevitably things go awry. We deal with it and move on.

Old 08-31-2023, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'm not sure I agree with the bolded...specifically the bolded.

I believe in freedom of thought. I believe in freedom of speech.
But those freedoms, whether we are talking legal freedoms or natural freedoms, change the minute those freedoms bump up against another individual. Particularlly when you go someplace, use the freedom of speech to make a point to others. Like in a forum.

We may be talking about 2 different things here, but...believe it or not...to me, we are talking karma here...karma by the definition that it my belief in karma -- action results in reaction. A person speaks his mind, someone else reacts to that.

Again, we may be talking about 2 different things.

But also, I disagree with something else you said. Just because someone is a politician doesn't make them not another human being. Yesterday, when Mitch McConnell had another of his blank freezeups, I saw comments on another site that were overjoyed. Even though in firm opposition to him as a politician, I have sympathy -- great sympathy -- for him as he approaches end of life.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/very...ibextid=NOb6eG

Old 08-31-2023, 03:05 PM

19,979 posts, read 13,466,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
To me it's very simple.
Would you be prepared to say what you are about to say, directly to someone's face in real life? If not, just try to find another way to say it. Simple.

It goes back partially to what I said in another thread: Empathy. It's about putting yourself in the other persons shoes. That's all it is.

We are none of us are perfect though and when there are as differing views as we have here, inevitably things go awry. We deal with it and move on.
I think that sums it up well.

I have to evaluate the thoughts of others to see if I agree with them. That is not "judging". If I explain why I think they are wrong or unpersuasive in an open discussion forum where presumably they are voluntarily participating, that is not "judging". Even if I call BS in that environment it is not judging. It is just expressing an opposing view.

The problem sometimes (and it's not strictly and only the religious who do this) is that if the argument is a really bad one, or ignores and does not address in any substantive way the points under discussion, or expresses some bigoted notion or other, then someone accustomed to getting knowing nods of approval within their own echo chambers suddenly finds themselves making a fool of themselves in an environment where criticism and free thinking are permitted, and they lash out the only way they know how -- with ad hominems, misdirections, deflections and bluster. Hilarity results.

You can't challenge entrenched and cherished points of view and not have people loose their ... well, you know. The advantage we atheists tend to have is that our points of view have already been challenged every which way, we are where we are for very considered reasons, and the "gotchas" that believers think they are bringing into the conversation don't land at all. My pulse rate and blood pressure remain the same. Theirs does not. But I do have to remain clear on whose problem that is. (Hint: not mine).

Old 08-31-2023, 05:15 PM

17,782 posts, read 13,677,875 times
I wanted to link directly to a post... so I did.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/65768732-post2.html

It worked!! It worked!! I finally did something on the computer that worked!!

I would say it is a miracle.... but this is the atheist forum.

Old 08-31-2023, 06:58 PM

Shazam!!!

Old 08-31-2023, 11:39 PM

16,769 posts, read 4,974,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
To me it's very simple.

I agree, but there is one important difference. In real life we have body language, an important part of communication that is missing with internet posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism