Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2023, 01:21 PM

323 posts, read 135,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancaisDeutsch View Post
I see what you're saying, but we give a lot of credence scientific theories that can't be proven, either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Properly speaking those aren't theories (the highest and most proven explanatory frameworks of science) but hypotheses. And those are hypotheses about things that manifestly exist and can be examined (else they could not be scientifically valid hypotheses). And some of these things accurately describe the world and accurately predict how it functions, even if we don't 100% understand them. Some drugs fall into this category. Technically, some of the basic axioms underpinning math aren't provable, but since math elegantly describes the observable world, it hardly matters.
All of this is a far cry from, say, "I believe in ghosts", or even, "I had a non-intersubjective personal experience of ghosts".
Theists are fond of talking about 'unproven theories' but theories by definition cannot be proven. The theory of gravity, for example, is unproven. Yet it works extremely well. When we launch a deep space probe and fling it past one planet at just the right distance so that the planet's gravity alters the probe's trajectory so as to point it at the next planet to be visited, it works exactly as calculated. I suspect most theists don't really understand how sound is anything in science that has been elevated to the level of theory. Further, I think theists tend to confuse a scientific theory with the common usage of the term, which essentially means 'any conjecture, no matter how unsupported by any evidence it may be'.

As you note, they tend to then equate mere conjecture with a scientific idea that has been subject to rigorous testing and has ultimately been elevated to the lofty status of theory, thereby convincing themselves that any religious assertion is somehow as valid as, say, Einstein's relativity - which, too, has been tested repeatedly and found accurate (for example, the GPS satellite array only works when adjusted for relativity's predictions). The more nefarious know that this is a dishonest sleight of hand' most just don't understand the terms they're throwing around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2023, 02:04 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Properly speaking those aren't theories (the highest and most proven explanatory frameworks of science) but hypotheses. And those are hypotheses about things that manifestly exist and can be examined (else they could not be scientifically valid hypotheses). And some of these things accurately describe the world and accurately predict how it functions, even if we don't 100% understand them. Some drugs fall into this category. Technically, some of the basic axioms underpinning math aren't provable, but since math elegantly describes the observable world, it hardly matters.
All of this is a far cry from, say, "I believe in ghosts", or even, "I had a non-intersubjective personal experience of ghosts".

That said, that we don't understand everything doesn't mean we understand nothing, or should assume the what we don't understand is likely to have explanations that aren't grounded in nature and what we already know for sure.
As a former science teacher, it always saddens me how little attention some young people paid in sceince class.

Old 09-17-2023, 02:30 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,921,731 times
There are stories of soldiers that have been decapitated in battle and continued running into the fray for several yards before falling. I have personally witnessed chickens beheaded and running the circumference of the yard not hitting a thing for about 45 seconds.
I have read many stories of those that had died and traveled in the spirit to other places and witnessed things that were confirmed after they had been resuscitated.
The testimonies of NDEs are endless and disturbing if you don't believe in an after life. The spirit of a person is not confined to the brain alone.
With out certain filters you can't see certain things that exist in all the light spectrum just as you can't hear all a dog can or see all that cat can see.
Basing what exist on only what you see is a poor witness. Can you see air?

Old 09-17-2023, 02:35 PM

4,601 posts, read 2,992,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew in Minnesota View Post
Theists are fond of talking about 'unproven theories' but theories by definition cannot be proven. The theory of gravity, for example, is unproven. Yet it works extremely well. When we launch a deep space probe and fling it past one planet at just the right distance so that the planet's gravity alters the probe's trajectory so as to point it at the next planet to be visited, it works exactly as calculated. I suspect most theists don't really understand how sound is anything in science that has been elevated to the level of theory. Further, I think theists tend to confuse a scientific theory with the common usage of the term, which essentially means 'any conjecture, no matter how unsupported by any evidence it may be'.

As you note, they tend to then equate mere conjecture with a scientific idea that has been subject to rigorous testing and has ultimately been elevated to the lofty status of theory, thereby convincing themselves that any religious assertion is somehow as valid as, say, Einstein's relativity - which, too, has been tested repeatedly and found accurate (for example, the GPS satellite array only works when adjusted for relativity's predictions). The more nefarious know that this is a dishonest sleight of hand' most just don't understand the terms they're throwing around.
At some point, wouldn't it be appropriate to elevate a 'theory' that's consistent with all the evidence,
and has no credible contradictory theory, to the status of 'principle'?
We could speak of the principle of gravity or the principle of evolution.

Old 09-17-2023, 02:45 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancaisDeutsch View Post
No one really knows what happens to people when they die. We can assume, etc., but, in the end, no one knows. It's a mystery.
The only evidence we have is that when a person dies, that person’s life ceases to exist and that’s the end of it.

A person’s life is like a movie. It has a beginning, a middle, and an end. Once it’s over, it’s over.

Of the billions of humans who have ever lived, not a single one has ever come back to life that we can prove.

Furthermore, 99% of all species of life that ever existed on earth have become extinct. Very likely, the same fate awaits the human species as well.

Old 09-17-2023, 03:07 PM

19,973 posts, read 13,459,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
There are stories of soldiers that have been decapitated in battle and continued running into the fray for several yards before falling. I have personally witnessed chickens beheaded and running the circumference of the yard not hitting a thing for about 45 seconds.
I have read many stories of those that had died and traveled in the spirit to other places and witnessed things that were confirmed after they had been resuscitated.
The testimonies of NDEs are endless and disturbing if you don't believe in an after life. The spirit of a person is not confined to the brain alone.
With out certain filters you can't see certain things that exist in all the light spectrum just as you can't hear all a dog can or see all that cat can see.
Basing what exist on only what you see is a poor witness. Can you see air?
Bodies functioning temporarily on momentum and adrenaline and the lower brain stem functions have nothing to do with life after death. Such things speak to the division of responsibility between the autonomic nervous system and the other parts.

We can't see air but we can measure and analyze it, it exists and no one seriously disputes that it does for that reason.

Sometimes as a semantic shortcut we say we don't believe in invisible gods or realms but it isn't visibility that's the problem really, it is that they are asserted without evidence including any sort of measurability or intersubjective experience. By intersubjective I mean that people experiencing the same god regularly come up with substantively different descriptions of, and messages from, that god, which strongly suggests their own imagination and social and cultural expectations as the source. Or they even come up with different gods altogether. By measurability I mean that if a thing exists it will be detectable by either our senses or the various instruments we use to extend them (for example, into the ultraviolet or infrared, in terms of vision). Other than vague hand-waving deflections involving words like "quantum" and "dark matter" (usually with poor understanding of what they do and don't mean) no one has even attempted to propose a mechanism by which spirit beings and realms would be verified or even provisionally explained (that is, a testable hypothesis). And if they did, the gods would be reduced thereby to natural phenomena anyway, which probably isn't what believers generally want to happen.

Old 09-17-2023, 06:22 PM

30,141 posts, read 11,774,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Respectfully;
Stopped reading after that.

And sorry for your loss.

But “realities�?
Seriously? How do you empirically know that it’s the REALITY?

Have you ever died and came back to actually KNOW that there is no life after death and there is absolutely nothing after death?
And if you had died and saw that there is nothing after death then you are wrong in that count as well. It’s because, after death, your consciousness was there to perceive and realize that there is nothing after death. Which means there IS consciousnesses after death.

The true answer and the true reality is, we don’t really know. what’s after death?

True we don't know but I base what I think to be true on proven facts or a lack thereof. There is no proof that people go on after death. Only various religions around the world that have conflicting explanations as to what happens. They can't all be right but they could all be wrong. And I believe most religions use the idea of an afterlife as a carrot on a stick for their faithful. Obey god, give us you money and we will give you eternal life. So they have a reason to make things up that benefits them.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 09-17-2023 at 06:44 PM..

Old 09-17-2023, 06:34 PM

19,973 posts, read 13,459,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
And I believe most religions use the idea of an afterlife as a carrot on a stick for their faithful. Obey god, give us you money and we will give you eternal life. So they have a reason to make things up that benefits them.
Yes ... also known as "motivated reasoning".

Old 09-17-2023, 08:04 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
Quote:
Bodies functioning temporarily on momentum and adrenaline and the lower brain stem functions have nothing to do with life after death. Such things speak to the division of responsibility between the autonomic nervous system and the other parts.

We can't see air but we can measure and analyze it, it exists and no one seriously disputes that it does for that reason.

Sometimes as a semantic shortcut we say we don't believe in invisible gods or realms but it isn't visibility that's the problem really, it is that they are asserted without evidence including any sort of measurability or intersubjective experience. By intersubjective I mean that people experiencing the same god regularly come up with substantively different descriptions of, and messages from, that god, which strongly suggests their own imagination and social and cultural expectations as the source. Or they even come up with different gods altogether. By measurability I mean that if a thing exists it will be detectable by either our senses or the various instruments we use to extend them (for example, into the ultraviolet or infrared, in terms of vision). Other than vague hand-waving deflections involving words like "quantum" and "dark matter" (usually with poor understanding of what they do and don't mean) no one has even attempted to propose a mechanism by which spirit beings and realms would be verified or even provisionally explained (that is, a testable hypothesis). And if they did, the gods would be reduced thereby to natural phenomena anyway, which probably isn't what believers generally want to happen.
Even on the subject of death and NDEs, there are vastly different accounts, from comforting to horrifying. So much of that is probably based on the underlying personality and psychology of the person.

Old 09-17-2023, 09:02 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,286,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
One of the hardest realities I had to come to terms with when I became an atheist was knowing that my beloved wife would be no more when she passed away. (
That's not entirely true. You can remember her. Think about her any time you wish, and she is alive in your memory.

Sorry for your loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism