Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2023, 03:19 PM

16,665 posts, read 15,660,325 times

Advertisements

Those of us that know her know that MQ was in the WTC in 1993 when a bomb exploded in the parking garage, She knew what it felt like when the building shook. When the building shook, she took her work mate by the hand and ran down the stairs.

Maybe there's a little luck, but making good decisions saved her life. Smart lady (and a fantastic moderating partner, I might add).

Old 09-11-2023, 03:25 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You're saying, that what saved you was the decision to go for breakfast in the cafeteria? Wow! Just wow! It's things like that, that make me wonder if there wasn't some very subtle guidance coming from .... "somewhere".... that you subconsciously tuned into, and heeded.

Or, maybe you were just hungry.
No, that is not what I was saying at all. Only one person from my work floor (72) died. She was found in the Concourse, apparently killed when T2 came down. If I had remained on my floor and not gone to breakfast on 43, I would likely be alive anyway.

Old 09-11-2023, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Matt...not the time
Well...where you were had something to do with it. In an elevator? Not good. Many of them dropped in flames full of people when the jet fuel shot down the shafts. I have friends who witnessed that. Glad I didn't.

After that, what decisions we made. As mensa said, I knew immediately this was way worse than 1993. I got in the stairs immediately.

Old 09-11-2023, 03:37 PM

7,074 posts, read 4,514,055 times
A good friend of mine from high school had recently started a new job at the pentagon and when the plane hit she was out of the building at a training. I was really panicking and it took me days to get a hold of her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2023, 05:07 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No, that is not what I was saying at all. Only one person from my work floor (72) died. She was found in the Concourse, apparently killed when T2 came down. If I had remained on my floor and not gone to breakfast on 43, I would likely be alive anyway.
Oh, thank you for correcting me. I was getting carried away, I guess. I've always enjoyed your posts about your experience, btw. You're the only source I have of first-hand testimony from inside the building.

Old 09-11-2023, 05:16 PM

15,853 posts, read 6,311,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well...where you were had something to do with it. In an elevator? Not good. Many of them dropped in flames full of people when the jet fuel shot down the shafts. I have friends who witnessed that. Glad I didn't.

After that, what decisions we made. As mensa said, I knew immediately this was way worse than 1993. I got in the stairs immediately.
no words

Old 09-11-2023, 05:24 PM

10,990 posts, read 6,860,952 times
Have thought of you several times today, MQ. Thanks to L8Gr8 for starting the thread. I too have appreciated MQ's sharing of the first-hand experience.

Old 09-11-2023, 07:52 PM

19,970 posts, read 13,459,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You're saying, that what saved you was the decision to go for breakfast in the cafeteria? Wow! Just wow! It's things like that, that make me wonder if there wasn't some very subtle guidance coming from .... "somewhere".... that you subconsciously tuned into, and heeded.

Or, maybe you were just hungry.
Yeah and maybe all the other people who didn't make it out, just didn't listen. Or weren't warned.

After every tornado or flood or whatever there's always some believer exulting that god saved them, without a clue as to what that does to the loved ones of those that didn't make it.

Old 09-11-2023, 08:12 PM

15,853 posts, read 6,311,569 times
The flip[ of that is survivor's guilt. There has to be a middle ground that is healthier. No matter how someone deals it's not something they asked for in the first place.

Old 09-11-2023, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Yeah and maybe all the other people who didn't make it out, just didn't listen. Or weren't warned.

After every tornado or flood or whatever there's always some believer exulting that god saved them, without a clue as to what that does to the loved ones of those that didn't make it.
Thank you. I got angry when someone told me to "get on my knees and thank God for getting me out". 84 of my coworkers died. What about them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism