Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2023, 09:26 AM

15,853 posts, read 6,313,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Ugh, that's too true!

I get a reaction to people who are always trying to put themselves in the spotlight and come off as if they are smarter than everyone else, says the unobtrusive, introverted woman who named herself "Mighty Queen".
I think AA has a phrase: whoever smelt it dealt it.

It's not entirely true tho. People react to other's that act like their abusers as well.

That serenity prayer they do is great.

Accept what I cannot change: check
Courage to change what I can: check check
Wisdom to know the difference: whaaaaattt?

Last edited by L8Gr8Apost8; 11-10-2023 at 09:29 AM.. Reason: Your name suits you just fine IMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2023, 11:06 AM

88,527 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I think AA has a phrase: whoever smelt it dealt it.

It's not entirely true tho. People react to other's that act like their abusers as well.

That serenity prayer they do is great.

Accept what I cannot change: check
Courage to change what I can: check check
Wisdom to know the difference: whaaaaattt?
Ha. My daughter said she heard in AA "if you spot it, you got it". AA is full of pithy sayings.

Years ago when I went to a therapist to sort out whether I should continue my marriage after having him taken out by the cops, the therapist, who had a background in addiction and codependency and relationships, asked me if I knew the serenity prayer.

"Of course", I said.

"OK, then say it to me", said he.

"Help me to change the things I cannot accept..."

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, that's the problem here!"

We both got a good laugh out of it.

Old 11-10-2023, 02:17 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,568,534 times
If a government mandates a belief (medical, political, economic, religious) not based on fact, that is dangerous. People should be allowed to have access to information and make up their own minds. Those who forget history are condemned to repeat it.

Old 11-10-2023, 02:51 PM

11,105 posts, read 9,748,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
We have a new neighbor who seems perfectly "normal". She's a retired postmaster and friendly, smart, etc, but has a strong mainstream religious belief that really is not based on any proof other than writings in a suspect book, Moderator cut: Politics

I'm at a loss to explain people like her, and they're everywhere you go, it's not just this one person. Can someone explain this to me? How can people who appear normal have beliefs that are, in my opinion, delusional?
You just described a huge portion of the population of the planet (okay, maybe not the smart part, LOL). MOST people take their religion on faith. That's why it's called "their faith".

Critical thinking skills are in very short supply in this world. Lack of a religious faith is too scary of a road to follow for the vast majority. It comforts them to believe that there's a "plan", and that we aren't all just a bunch of short-lived biological life forms that live or die based upon random occurrences, despite all evidence to the contrary. It comforts them to believe that pleading their case to a "higher power" (prayer) will result in a reversal of misfortune, or protection from harm. It's not possible for them to accept that chance alone may determine the outcome in life. It comforts them to believe that their deceased relatives aren't just "gone forever". Instead, they believe they are waiting somewhere out there (heaven) to be rejoined when they too die. It comforts them to believe that all their hard work, good deeds, and suffering will someday be rewarded, and that those who don't follow "the rules" will be punished, justice will be served, and that life never really ends. Or at least not for those that believe what they believe. This is the role of religion, to allow those who can't accept the cold, hard facts of life to go on living in the lonely universe. To accept those scary cold facts might mean that their individual lives are "meaningless" in the grand scheme, and that's just too hard for them.

Old 11-10-2023, 03:01 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
If a government mandates a belief (medical, political, economic, religious) not based on fact, that is dangerous. People should be allowed to have access to information and make up their own minds. Those who forget history are condemned to repeat it.
And just for the record...those who dwell on history are also condemned to repeat it.

Old 11-11-2023, 05:59 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And just for the record...those who dwell on history are also condemned to repeat it.
I was going to say 'No' but maybe in some cases, yes.

There are plenty of examples where national brooding on past wrongs (in their view) may precipitate a repeat of what they got before. And the time before that.

Old 11-13-2023, 12:46 AM

20,757 posts, read 8,568,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Childhood indoctrination. It's the lifeblood of any religion.

I would ban kids from attending religious services, let them grow up first and come to their own conclusion.

That's why we see children in Gaza screaming they hate Jews and want to kill them. Have they ever met a Jew? Have to ban madrasas, Catholic schools, Jewish schools, all religious schools.

Old 11-13-2023, 07:21 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times
It's pretty well known that kids pick up propaganda easily and recite it at keyword prompting. Propagandists know this and try to gain control of education, entertainment and media.

Old 11-13-2023, 09:01 AM

19,973 posts, read 13,459,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
It's pretty well known that kids pick up propaganda easily and recite it at keyword prompting. Propagandists know this and try to gain control of education, entertainment and media.
In the case of any videos where children are screaming that they "hate Jews", it's simpler than that ... they have just lost loved ones from Jewish bombs (or it looks like that to them anyway), their surviving elders, if any, are ranting about it ... what else would they do or say? I'm not sure this has anything to do with Islam or Judaism, it just has to do with trauma and grief and sorrow and looking in the moment for a throat to choke. The other side is doing the same, but just have more means to actualize their rage.

Where religion comes into it is that if enough of this happens to enough people (and it is!), the fact that two historically opposing religious factions are involved just makes people easier to manipulate and radicalize. It provides a framework for rationalizing more atrocities and retributions. Because now you're not just defending your family or nation but your religion, and god himself.

Old 11-13-2023, 02:54 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
In the case of any videos where children are screaming that they "hate Jews", it's simpler than that ... they have just lost loved ones from Jewish bombs (or it looks like that to them anyway), their surviving elders, if any, are ranting about it ... what else would they do or say? I'm not sure this has anything to do with Islam or Judaism, it just has to do with trauma and grief and sorrow and looking in the moment for a throat to choke. The other side is doing the same, but just have more means to actualize their rage.

Where religion comes into it is that if enough of this happens to enough people (and it is!), the fact that two historically opposing religious factions are involved just makes people easier to manipulate and radicalize. It provides a framework for rationalizing more atrocities and retributions. Because now you're not just defending your family or nation but your religion, and god himself.
It doesn't have to go that extreme for the hate to come out.

Growing up here in Appalachia, there was a lot of distrust, to put it mildly, for anyone who wasn't a Christian, and even still a good bit of suspicion of Catholics. This was back in the 1990s. Looking back, a lot of beliefs were seeded decades or even centuries ago.

While I'd like to think people are more open-minded today, my guess is they aren't, especially in private.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism