Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2023, 07:16 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,321,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
That's the wrong answer. Or, in another way, the right one. God already gave proof. A tatty old book of faithclaims and look at the trees and clouds. What more proof is needed?

Since the old book is coming apart (mine is, anyway ) and the trees and clouds are better explained naturally than God sticking them together from a flat pack with glue, there is no proof and the burden of proof is now on the Believers to make a case for the god whose supposed Proof wasn't and seems to have nothing else.

No, sorry, OOB (on my Other board I was shellackked by a poster for using the wrong Acronym - it should be OBE. I said that was confusing as where I come from an OBE is a medal) might be arguable as a case for a soul, but it falls face first into 'Which god?" apologetics. While the believers assume only one god is on the table, there are many.

Like Creation, Morals, Cosmic origins and Consciousness a soul (if OOB's validated that) it doesn't get you to any particular god or religion, even if it gets you to a god at all.
I use OOB because that was the orginal acronym. And honestly, I just don't care if it's the wrong one.

There are too many jackasses around with their fingers in the pie trying to change everything. As if, for some reason, it was at all necessary. For example:

They changed the acronym for UFO -- but I don't remember what the new one is, and don't care to know.

Flashlight is now "torch" ... but a torch, to me is a stick with fabric wrapped around one end, dipped in oil, and lit. So how does one differentiate between a battery operated metal tube with a lightbulb at one end ... and a bloody stick with an open flame?

Gear is now "kit." But to me, a kit is a complete set of pieces that, when assembled, builds a particular object. Like how you can buy a sports car in a kit that you build. That's what a kit is. Gear is "stuff" that you need for a specific reason. Like camping gear or military gear or survival gear or whatever. It's not "kit".

Blah. Just Meh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2023, 08:06 AM

19,970 posts, read 13,459,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
I use OOB because that was the orginal acronym. And honestly, I just don't care if it's the wrong one.

There are too many jackasses around with their fingers in the pie trying to change everything. As if, for some reason, it was at all necessary. For example:

They changed the acronym for UFO -- but I don't remember what the new one is, and don't care to know.

Flashlight is now "torch" ... but a torch, to me is a stick with fabric wrapped around one end, dipped in oil, and lit. So how does one differentiate between a battery operated metal tube with a lightbulb at one end ... and a bloody stick with an open flame?

Gear is now "kit." But to me, a kit is a complete set of pieces that, when assembled, builds a particular object. Like how you can buy a sports car in a kit that you build. That's what a kit is. Gear is "stuff" that you need for a specific reason. Like camping gear or military gear or survival gear or whatever. It's not "kit".

Blah. Just Meh.
Is the US adopting Britishisms? Because torch and kit have long been in use across the pond but I haven't personally noticed them gaining ground here.

Old 12-07-2023, 09:24 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,085,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
We have a new neighbor who seems perfectly "normal". She's a retired postmaster and friendly, smart, etc, but has a strong mainstream religious belief that really is not based on any proof other than writings in a suspect book, Moderator cut: Politics

I'm at a loss to explain people like her, and they're everywhere you go, it's not just this one person. Can someone explain this to me? How can people who appear normal have beliefs that are, in my opinion, delusional?

"Perfectly normal" you said?
What's the definition of that? What a majority does or behaves like? What's abnormal? Something that is not common from the mainstream behavior??

I opened a post - and let see which camp is "normal" by scientific data indicators.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/athe...normality.html

Old 12-07-2023, 03:02 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Why care what other people think? If you don't find it credible that is fine, but live & let live.

That is th principle of freedom of religion - and freedom from religion. However that principle does not sit well with those who think their religion, morals and the politics that appear to go with them, should be taught, evangelised and if necessary and possible, forced, on everyone else
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
"Perfectly normal" you said?
What's the definition of that? What a majority does or behaves like? What's abnormal? Something that is not common from the mainstream behavior??

I opened a post - and let see which camp is "normal" by scientific data indicators.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/athe...normality.html
I watched a video on conspiracy theorists. One thing they noticed was those people may have an Ism they are totally hooked on and never mind any doubts or questions about it, but otherwise they do seem normal.

A flat earthist doesn't have to wear a tinfoil hat about every other subject.

Old 12-08-2023, 04:10 PM

18,491 posts, read 9,154,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
We have a new neighbor who seems perfectly "normal". She's a retired postmaster and friendly, smart, etc, but has a strong mainstream religious belief that really is not based on any proof other than writings in a suspect book, Moderator cut: Politics

I'm at a loss to explain people like her, and they're everywhere you go, it's not just this one person. Can someone explain this to me? How can people who appear normal have beliefs that are, in my opinion, delusional?

I would say that irrational beliefs are psychoactive. Some people are addicted to psychoactive drugs. Others are addicted to psychoactive ideas.

Old 12-08-2023, 04:55 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,408,910 times
Do you believe in intuition/instinct?

Old 12-09-2023, 06:28 AM

Quote:

Blah. Just Meh.
"Two nations divided by a common language" For myself, I am quite charmed with Americanisms such as Jelly, which to us is a wobbly dessert,for jam, and can for what is definitely either a tin or a euphemism for restroom which bowdlerism is innapposite as nobody should use them for resting or people will be booting up the door and yelling "Get a wiggle on, jack, there are people straining out here". And of course, gas, which is actually petroleum, which even in the refined state suitable for vehicles is not "Gas", which is an invisible vapour once used to take out coal miners, and until recently was a household facility used to dispose of unwanted husbands.

But We (or I) are willing to excuse all that as America has given us so much....the proper way to use a fork...Charles Ives....Uh, hang on, It'll come in a minute...

Old 12-09-2023, 07:45 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,321,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Is the US adopting Britishisms? Because torch and kit have long been in use across the pond but I haven't personally noticed them gaining ground here.
They may not be gaining any particular ground amongst the everyday American in normal conversation. But I'm seeing "Britishisms" all over the place on television shows, internet sites, and whatnot. Even places that aren't British in any way.

Like ... i remember seeing an American who was staying the night in a supposedly haunted abandoned railroad tunnel and he used both words ... torch and kit.

Not that I care overmuch ... but it just baffles me sometimes.

A really BIG annoyance -- and this DID bother me a lot -- was how all of the sudden, after years and years and years of spelling it correctly, it seemed NO ONE understood the difference between a plural and a possessive.

Suddenly every other person was writing sentences like, "My mother adopted four stray cat's the other day" and then turn around and say, That buildings elevator doesn't work." Like ... dude. C'mon. WHY in hell are you suddenly putting an apostrophe in a puralized word -- when you never did before?? Because you saw someone ELSE make the mistake? It just goes to show you how gullible people are and how easily they are manipulated by other people. People need to have confidence in their own way of doing things.

I don't know if you ever got this kind of advice when taking tests -- but I was told by more than one professor that, more times than not, your first answer will be the correct answer.

It's actually one of my really big peeves about Western culture - especially in the USA. If I'm doing something wrong, I WANT someone to tell me. As long as they're polite about it. For the longest time, I used the non-word "irregardless" until someone told me it wasn't even a word and "regardless" was fine by itself. I'd much rather someone tell me than for someone to let me make a fool of myself.

But SO many people really get upset and angry when someone tries to correct them -- like there is this horrific aversion to learning unless they're sitting at a desk in a classroom. And even then ...

Even when you try to be polite about it. I've always found it strange how you can be a better athlete than someone else, you can be richer than someone else. You can be more successful, more popular, more mechanically inclined ... in fact, you can be better than someone else in almost every way.

Except ... you are NOT allowed to be smarter. That is the ONE thing that seems to wrankle people -- like petting a cat going against their fur. I never understood that.

Anyway ... since your first answer will likely be the correct one, I've never been able to understand why damn near everyone just up and decided to ignore the rules of plural and possessives - which they had been following correctly for literally decades in many cases - to suddenly start doing it wrong.

I see it everywhere now. Even on professional documents, signs, forms to fill out ("Please list all job's you have had since 1990") and other places where people should have known better. SOMEone should have known better ....

Old 12-09-2023, 09:48 AM

19,970 posts, read 13,459,195 times
Quote:
A really BIG annoyance -- and this DID bother me a lot -- was how all of the sudden, after years and years and years of spelling it correctly, it seemed NO ONE understood the difference between a plural and a possessive.

Suddenly every other person was writing sentences like, "My mother adopted four stray cat's the other day" and then turn around and say, That buildings elevator doesn't work." Like ... dude. C'mon. WHY in hell are you suddenly putting an apostrophe in a puralized word -- when you never did before?? Because you saw someone ELSE make the mistake? It just goes to show you how gullible people are and how easily they are manipulated by other people. People need to have confidence in their own way of doing things.
Oh heck yes ... this one made me laugh.

Even more annoying, as I get older I find I have to proofread and correct a tendency to do it myself, which I NEVER had to concern myself with before. While I think sometimes I'm a victim of bad spelling or grammar-checker assumptions, if I'm really honest, some of them are my own brainfarts. You will eventually arrive where I am and experience such appalling developments, I'm sorry to say.

It's made worse, I suppose, by the rushed and informal nature of Internet communications.
Quote:
It's actually one of my really big peeves about Western culture - especially in the USA. If I'm doing something wrong, I WANT someone to tell me. As long as they're polite about it. For the longest time, I used the non-word "irregardless" until someone told me it wasn't even a word and "regardless" was fine by itself. I'd much rather someone tell me than for someone to let me make a fool of myself.

But SO many people really get upset and angry when someone tries to correct them -- like there is this horrific aversion to learning unless they're sitting at a desk in a classroom. And even then ...

Even when you try to be polite about it. I've always found it strange how you can be a better athlete than someone else, you can be richer than someone else. You can be more successful, more popular, more mechanically inclined ... in fact, you can be better than someone else in almost every way.

Except ... you are NOT allowed to be smarter. That is the ONE thing that seems to wrankle people -- like petting a cat going against their fur. I never understood that.
Well I don't think it's necessarily intelligence per se ... you just aren't allowed to mention, however gently, that someone else was MISTAKEN. The horror! This is styled as "trying to be smart" or to show off in some way. It's a problem; even my immediate family pulls this maneuver at times. I honestly am not trying to be "right" or pedantic, just helpful. I take their correction all the time. My wife, for example, is a professional writer and she's changed the way I write in certain ways, which I embrace and appreciate. But as she has "slipped" a bit herself with age and retirement, she has gotten a little bit "tetchy" around me even noticing, much less mentioning, her lapses. It's understandable, sort of, yet ... oh well.

At the end of the day I zip my lip and just let it be. So much of the world is going down the tubes in far bigger ways, anyhow.

Old 12-10-2023, 08:39 AM

Quote:
They may not be gaining any particular ground amongst the everyday American in normal conversation. But I'm seeing "Britishisms" all over the place on television shows, internet sites, and whatnot. Even places that aren't British in any way.

Like ... i remember seeing an American who was staying the night in a supposedly haunted abandoned railroad tunnel and he used both words ... torch and kit.

Not that I care overmuch ... but it just baffles me sometimes.

I don't know if you ever got this kind of advice when taking tests -- but I was told by more than one professor that, more times than not, your first answer will be the correct answer.

Anyway ... since your first answer will likely be the correct one, I've never been able to understand why damn near everyone just up and decided to ignore the rules of plural and possessives - which they had been following correctly for literally decades in many cases - to suddenly start doing it wrong.

I see it everywhere now. Even on professional documents, signs, forms to fill out ("Please list all job's you have had since 1990") and other places where people should have known better. SOMEone should have known better ....
It's a Thing that happened in the 80's in the fruit markets. "Welsh farmers best apples' bring your own bag's 1 £ a pound".

"My stomach hurts" (Charlie Brown) and it's a Trans -pond thing...it's ok to be smart in Europe, but in the US...for some reason, it seems that smart people are objects of contempt.

Is it a conspiracy theory that it goes back to Scopes (1), that resulted in a distrust of science, knowledge and learning as it had the pesky darn habit of undermining the Bible?

(1) I watched a vid that argued the Monkey trial was an unnecessary trial arranged by the evolutionists when Evolution was actually taught in Kentucky and Arkansas schools. I can only say they didn't have to go far to find a Bible literalist to carry the case but lose the publicity credits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism