Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2024, 05:51 AM

5,519 posts, read 7,357,106 times

Advertisements

As an old white Christian man, I have had the misfortune of being in the company of those I would refer to as Christian nationalists.

I believe they are mostly influenced by racism , fear , and by extension tribalism.

A recipe for disaster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2024, 08:26 AM

35,131 posts, read 31,418,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
As an old white Christian man, I have had the misfortune of being in the company of those I would refer to as Christian nationalists.

I believe they are mostly influenced by racism , fear , and by extension tribalism.

A recipe for disaster.
Many, maybe most, Christians, are not Christian nationalists.

However, Christian fundamentalism and Christian nationalism are in the driver's seat in terms of cultural power and discussion. Christian nationalism is what Christianity is today in the public eye.

Old 05-06-2024, 08:29 AM

5,519 posts, read 7,357,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post

However, Christian fundamentalism and Christian nationalism are in the driver's seat in terms of cultural power and discussion. Christian nationalism is what Christianity is today in the public eye.
I hope your wrong. But if not, hopefully this aberration will be short lived.

I pray they are merely the loudest voices in the current cacophony.

Old 05-06-2024, 01:22 PM

50,979 posts, read 24,467,741 times
Quote:

A recipe for disaster.
Similar experiences here...and similarly an old, white...but not now a christian man.

Old 05-06-2024, 01:23 PM

50,979 posts, read 24,467,741 times
Quote:

I didn't see Oakback say that most christians are christian nationalists. I do tend to agree with your second paragraph.

Old 05-07-2024, 11:02 AM

35,131 posts, read 31,418,920 times
Quote:
I hope your wrong. But if not, hopefully this aberration will be short lived.

I pray they are merely the loudest voices in the current cacophony.
I may be wrong, but...

I grew up in fire and brimstone Baptist churches in Appalachia. I felt, by ten years old or so, that most of the religious stories I grew up with were hokey at best. None of them actually seemed to illuminate the world as it actually was. Few offered any real guidance to current world problems and situations. None of them seemed to apply to my life as it was - you'd had to certainly stretch to apply Biblical logic to day-to-day life.

While pretty much everyone was Republican, and there were certainly pro-life leanings, the church was certainly not as expressly political as it is today.

This was my frame of reference. Today's fundamentalism is my childhood theology taken to its logical ends politically. In some ways, the theology itself is even more radical than what I grew up with.

Any sort of moderate Christian domination has lots adherents, probably even moreso than Christianity overall. The wild denominations are the only ones actually growing.

I'm just shocked that, twenty some years on, with all the advancements in technology and our increased understanding of the world, that people still believe in religious fundamentalism. I never thought it would have this amount of political and cultural power.

To me, the most extreme Christianity is the true Christianity.

Old 05-07-2024, 04:16 PM

20,089 posts, read 13,542,799 times
Quote:
I'm just shocked that, twenty some years on, with all the advancements in technology and our increased understanding of the world, that people still believe in religious fundamentalism. I never thought it would have this amount of political and cultural power.

To me, the most extreme Christianity is the true Christianity.
Their political and cultural power are all out of proportion to their actual numbers. It's my view that they have become moral degenerates and have embraced various wedge issues with zero integrity and it is their divisiveness and their assaults on principled leadership, and their willingness to engage in that without the slightest pang of conscience nor concern for actual facts or data, that has been extremely instrumental in producing the polarization and hatred we live with now in this country.

Old 05-07-2024, 04:34 PM

63,941 posts, read 40,218,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Their political and cultural power are all out of proportion to their actual numbers. It's my view that they have become moral degenerates and have embraced various wedge issues with zero integrity and it is their divisiveness and their assaults on principled leadership, and their willingness to engage in that without the slightest pang of conscience nor concern for actual facts or data, that has been extremely instrumental in producing the polarization and hatred we live with now in this country.
I generally find your posts thoughtful and cogent. But polarization does not occur without two poles with extreme attraction! Stigmatizing one pole as if it is the reason for the polarization is not persuasive. Neither pole is "principled" and the other is not. They are both extreme or no polarization would occur.

Old 05-07-2024, 04:44 PM

20,089 posts, read 13,542,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I generally find your posts thoughtful and cogent. But polarization does not occur without two poles with extreme attraction! Stigmatizing one pole as if it is the reason for the polarization is not persuasive. Neither pole is "principled" and the other is not. They are both extreme or no polarization would occur.
They stigmatize themselves.

It is of course hard to determine how much they are just useful fools for the real manipulators, but I am not going there because it's a forbidden topic. We would have to discuss politics and adjacent dynamics and how Christian fundamentalism participates in them to really debate that.

Old 05-07-2024, 04:52 PM

63,941 posts, read 40,218,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
They stigmatize themselves.

It is of course hard to determine how much they are just useful fools for the real manipulators, but I am not going there because it's a forbidden topic. We would have to discuss politics and adjacent dynamics and how Christian fundamentalism participates in them to really debate that.
I will just assume you do not think the other pole is extreme, then. Sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism