Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 12:08 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,913,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Over 85% of the country disagree with you.

It is not fiction.
Ah I see! So it's common public belief and street-level statistics that decide the truth, huh? Now that's a good example of enlightened, open-minded and critical thinking!

Remember, they used to burn witches at the stake, and all the drooling, chanting onlookers believed they were doing the right thing! Earlier than that, they used to "read' the innards of a freshly gutted goat! Equally impressive! Thank God such widespread illiterate nonsense is now illegal, as is sponsored proselytizing to the uninterested. Sadly, it's also still believed by many of those illiterate masses. So now... let's all repeat: Baahhhhh..hhh.hh.

To outright literally believe the bible, every single word and concept of it, is a sure sign of a blindered and fearful mind, one that cannot stand not having an answer for every question.

No wonder we're still intellectually stuck in the Middle Ages in so many respects Thanks, Christians and Muslims!

BTW, Mircea: your's is a spectacular fact-filled and undeniable post. Just the sort of research and presentation that Christians cannot ever wrap their heads around. Instead we get these short, fast "Well, God is my answer, the bible is factual, and you're just wrong!" retorts. Intellectually impressive, to be sure.

I'd like to see an intellectually honest, deep point-by-point rebuttal by an intellectually capable Christian, but that's not coming, I'll promise you! I suspect most all Christian denialists here won't even dare to read it! Oh, they'll start, but then when they see the mountain of incontrovertible truths you've provided, they'll hold up their crosses, like they're trying to repel a vampire, and run screaming from the room, ears covered, yowling "NahNahNahNahNahNahNa..."

That's all they can do of course, because otherwise they'd have to face the unfaceable. Oh. Good. God!!!

Last edited by rifleman; 06-19-2011 at 12:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 12:38 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,522,660 times
Quote:

It is not fiction.
"You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time." - Abraham Lincoln

And 85% is well within the realm of "some"

Old 06-19-2011, 01:51 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,853,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaTrang View Post
as far as my self goes, I believe the bible is what it is said to be, except for the "god" part. It is not factual.
Huh??? Scratching head here.

Lets see.
Quote:
"I believe the bible is what it is said to be..."
Well the Bible is said to be the 'Word of God'

Quote:
"....except for the "god" part"
So you believe that the Bible is the 'Word of God'...but you don't believe in God?

I don't get it!

Old 06-22-2011, 02:08 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,179,640 times
I agree, and a lot of the 'history' conatined in the Bible is insupportable.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:04 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,275,143 times
It's a book of parables and fables to teach lessons; rather like Aesop with more blood and guts and hatred and dehumanizing of women.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:15 AM

285 posts, read 616,148 times
At best, the bible is a really bad novel. It's as if George R. R. Martin, Steven King, and Tom Clancy got drunk one month and collaborated on a sci-fi horror tale with conspiracy overtones.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:17 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,977,863 times
I think the Bible is a collection of bronze age fairy tales written from a tribal point of view and it reflects that.

Old 07-05-2011, 06:19 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaTrang View Post
as far as my self goes, I believe the bible is what it is said to be, except for the "god" part. It is not factual.
Am I right in thinking that this means that you take it as a record of the Jewish God, his creation of man, selection of the Jewish people and then pretty much abandoning them for the greeks? But you don't believe it? If so, that's what I take it to be, too.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:05 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,857,528 times
Quote:

It is not fiction.
Why would anyone assume the majority to be always right?

Old 07-13-2011, 09:04 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,325,713 times
I do think the bible was wellwritten for that day and age and it did survive so many translations, it still is a pile of tall tales with some truth woven in no matter what...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism