Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 08:54 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,334,934 times

Advertisements

This is one theist who very much appreciates, and enjoys my good atheist brethren.

Keep up the good work.

(My hope is, you guys will eventually prove my theistic hypothesis)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 01:55 AM

613 posts, read 1,270,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
So, I must boil my comparison down that if I absolutely had to choose a God, that God would be the natural "world" - or Einstein's God.
lets say "the natural "world"" is god. we are apart of that natural world. we have a consiousness. so that consiousness is apart of god. therefor god is consious. but sadly he suffers from a major multipersonalty disorder making the universe act in random ways. ha, well thats sorta what i believe anyway.
but wow....thanks for the thread all of you

Old 06-17-2008, 06:47 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,898,898 times
I'm just gonna pull up a chair and sit and read for a little while here. It's a very interesting subject, might take a while for me to wrap my tiny mind around the concepts , but I figured I'd post just to say great thread guys AND so I could find it again!

Last edited by moonshadow; 06-17-2008 at 07:33 AM..

Old 06-17-2008, 07:04 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,495,112 times
"Whatever attitude to human existence you fashion for yourself, know that it is valid only if it be the shadow of an attitude to Nature. A human life, so often likened to a spectacle upon a stage, is more justly a ritual. The ancient values of dignity, beauty, and poetry which sustain it are of Nature’s inspiration; they are born of the mystery and beauty of the world. Do no dishonour to the earth lest you dishonour the spirit of man. Hold your hands out over the earth as over a flame. To all who love her, who open to her the doors of their veins, she gives of her strength, sustaining them with her own measureless tremor of dark life. Touch the earth, love the earth, honour the earth, her plains, her valleys, her hills, and her seas; rest your spirit in her solitary places. For the gifts of life are the earth’s and they are given to all, and they are the songs of birds at daybreak, Orion and the Bear, and the dawn seen over the ocean from the beach."

- Henry Beston, The Outermost House (1928)

Old 06-17-2008, 08:46 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,456,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Phillips View Post
"Whatever attitude to human existence you fashion for yourself, know that it is valid only if it be the shadow of an attitude to Nature. A human life, so often likened to a spectacle upon a stage, is more justly a ritual. The ancient values of dignity, beauty, and poetry which sustain it are of Nature’s inspiration; they are born of the mystery and beauty of the world. Do no dishonour to the earth lest you dishonour the spirit of man. Hold your hands out over the earth as over a flame. To all who love her, who open to her the doors of their veins, she gives of her strength, sustaining them with her own measureless tremor of dark life. Touch the earth, love the earth, honour the earth, her plains, her valleys, her hills, and her seas; rest your spirit in her solitary places. For the gifts of life are the earth’s and they are given to all, and they are the songs of birds at daybreak, Orion and the Bear, and the dawn seen over the ocean from the beach."

I hate to show my ignorance here but that was absolutely beautiful. I've never read that or even seen that before but I thought it was perfectly put. Indeed! Great Post!

Old 06-17-2008, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
I'm just gonna pull up a chair and sit and read for a little while here. It's a very interesting subject, might take a while for me to wrap my tiny mind around the concepts , but I figured I'd post just to say great thread guys AND so I could find it again!
This is what we're talking about in a 3-hour nutshell.

NOVA | The Elegant Universe | Watch the Program | PBS

It's very well done and based on his book which I just got the other day. There's something about String Theory... I think I get it just so much to the fact that it sends a little ripple down my spine when I think of how beautiful and elegant it is.

That's the crappy part about science. No matter how infatuated you become with something in science it can always be falsified and sometimes it is. I just hope String Theory is not falsified. But, on the other hand, it just means an exciting new and adventurous theory may take its place.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozart271 View Post
Think of the possibilities if you could rip yourself out of your own space and just see which roll of the die it's gonna be in your slice!
Yeah. Or think about it like this. Every time you buy a lottery ticket... one of your celestial doppelgangers wins. I'm just hoping to be the lucky doppelganger of all the GCSTroops within infinity.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:42 AM

"During the months that have passed since that September morning some have asked me what understanding of Nature one shapes from so strange a year? I would answer that one’s first appreciation is a sense that creation is still going on, that the creative forces are as great and as active to-day as they have ever been, and that to-morrow’s morning will be as heroic as any of the world. Creation is here and now. So near is man to the creative pageant, so much a part is he of the endless and incredible experiment, that any glimpse he may have will be but the revelation of a moment, a solitary note in a symphony thundering through debatable existences of time. Poetry is as necessary to comprehension as science. It is impossible to live without reverence as it is without joy."

Old 06-17-2008, 06:25 PM

428 posts, read 1,630,550 times
Wendell, Those are eloquent and beautiful quotations! I will look for that book, as I had not heard of it, or of Henry Beston, either. It's wonderful to read such insight put into moving and poetic words.

Have you read any of Thik Nat Han? (I have probably spelled his name wrong, but it's close.)

Teresa

Old 06-18-2008, 10:06 AM

Henry Beston was a naturalist and writer; and his book The Outermost House has become a literary classic. The book is about the author’s sojourn in a small isolated cottage (the "Fo’castle") at the end of the dunes on the great beach of Cape Cod. The book is filled with the most evocative descriptions of nature; and in the first edition published in 1928 there are haunting photographs of shipwrecks and seabirds. Of all writers, I think he comes closest to defining man’s place in the natural world. Here is another quote from this wonderful book:

"We need another and wiser and perhaps a more mystical concept of animals. Remote from universal nature, and living by complicated artifice, man in civilization surveys the creature through the glass of his knowledge and sees thereby a feather magnified and the whole image in distortion. We patronize them for their incompleteness, for their tragic fate of having taken a form so far below ourselves. And therein we err, and greatly err. For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with extension of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism