Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2008, 08:11 PM

345 posts, read 467,471 times

Advertisements

I understand religious faith is very important to many Americans (and people throughout the world), but I've grown weary from the same (often, but not always) inane religious discussions that get national media attention over and over in this country. With all due respect, Dr. Dobson gets way to much attention on our national stage. I acknowledge the long history of prayer, sermonizing, and spirituals which have provided comfort to many African American's from the time of slavery forward through emancipation and contemporary times, but Presidential candidate Barrack Obama cannot get through a single week without some media event focused upon his personal religious views, and/or Reverend Wright and some of his wacky views. Frankly I am sick of it. I was sick of it with Kennedy and the Catholic question, and I continue to be sick of empowering regressive thinking and the people that foist it upon our political arena to the detriment of more relevant discussions that affect all of America. Again I have to ask, "what part of separation of church and state hasn't sunk into the thick skulls of the American fundamentalists"? Barrack Obama is a thinker. I believe he is capable of inspiring Americans, but I don't want to see him dogged at every step by the mud slinging religious regressives.

Last edited by Ria Rhodes; 06-24-2008 at 08:29 PM..

Old 06-24-2008, 09:47 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,646,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria Rhodes View Post
I understand religious faith is very important to many Americans (and people throughout the world), but I've grown weary from the same (often, but not always) inane religious discussions that get national media attention over and over in this country. With all due respect, Dr. Dobson gets way to much attention on our national stage. I acknowledge the long history of prayer, sermonizing, and spirituals which have provided comfort to many African American's from the time of slavery forward through emancipation and contemporary times, but Presidential candidate Barrack Obama cannot get through a single week without some media event focused upon his personal religious views, and/or Reverend Wright and some of his wacky views. Frankly I am sick of it. I was sick of it with Kennedy and the Catholic question, and I continue to be sick of empowering regressive thinking and the people that foist it upon our political arena to the detriment of more relevant discussions that affect all of America. Again I have to ask, "what part of separation of church and state hasn't sunk into the thick skulls of the American fundamentalists"? Barrack Obama is a thinker. I believe he is capable of inspiring Americans, but I don't want to see him dogged at every step by the mud slinging religious regressives.
Yes, personal religious views of any political candidate for any political post should be irrelevant. I wish that whatever religion a candidate practices (or doesn't) was not entered into the public arena by ads, or endorsements. It has no place in American politics, and only serves as a distraction to the real issues.
Rev Wright is a different issue. The Wright controversy was not over a religion so much as a 'rev' giving his very divisive and hate filled sermons to the man who says he is for change and unity. That was a very legitmate point to bring up to obama, as it would be for mccain if he and hagee were as close as wright and obama were.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:56 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,399,426 times
Quote:
Excellent, excellent post! These sentiments are EXACTLY what I have felt about this absolute ludicrous discussion forcing religion into every damn discussion about Obama. Absolute nonsense, I agree. I could not have said it better myself.

Old 06-25-2008, 01:08 AM

2,008 posts, read 3,329,057 times
Quote:
Quite personally, I don't care what religion the politician is, so long as he/she plans to do something I think should be done. I don't care who they worship, what they drive, where they came from, who they sleep with and have as a mistress, just so long as they have enough of a head to do the country some good. Actually I am removed from the political process somewhat by how religious the person is. Being that I like this corner of the forums, I prefer a leader that is removed from religion and doesn't put it into their routine, I want a leader that keeps their faith out of government decisions.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:12 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,359,804 times
After Bush II, I am afraid I do look at their religious views.

I think we saw religion effect decisions made for our country in the last eight years and I know for sure in the last four years. I think the crossing of the religious line has been harmful and is the base of several major problems we are struggling with today.

There was a good reason why our founding fathers wanted religion out of government, and to see our President twist the law due to his religious views should have been thrown right back in his face. You want to see a religious based country look at Iran, or Afghanistan. Is that really what you want for us?

I have watched the religious issued pop up in this election also; it will have a major effect on who I vote for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.