Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 05:15 PM

1,385 posts, read 3,006,152 times

Advertisements

Aren't most costal towns or those by a body of water tend to be more atheist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 03:55 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,014,637 times
I would say that Bellingham Washington is a pretty good town for an atheist or agnostic. Some of the surrounding towns are fairly conservative, but the the city itself is very liberal and has several colleges there which tends to make the people more open minded. There's a Unitarian church-Bellingham Unitarian Fellowship, in the downtown area whose congregation ranges from humanists, agnostics, atheists to liberal Christians and they tend not to emphacize any particular religious themes in their worship ceremonies e.g. Jesus etc. They have a schedule of what they're going to talk about on their upcoming services on their website.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:46 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,383,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
So while ti would be nice to be around like-minded people, I think it would be better to simply be in a place that's diverse where the people are tolerant and respectful. That's a big reason why I'm planning to move to Austin. Although it's in Texas which is known to be pretty conservative and religious, my read on the people of Austin is that they're respectful and don't worry whether their neighbors are Christian or anything else. People there seem don't seem to stick their noses into other people's affairs, which is nice.
Hey - I keep almost recommending Autin on this thread. What you said is definitely true. I feel very comfortable in Austin and many, many people I run into are pleasant, friendly, and probably Christian. But I still wouldn't feel too weird about openly not believing in God - people really do "live and let live" here. It's sort of odd in a nice way. For example, most of the people I work with have spent their whole lives in Austin, and they are very accepting people even though many are on the conservative, business-minded side. What I mean is that they are not transplants who moved here for the music scene or the "hippie vibe" or the sun - they are just from Austin - and I know that I would not be shunned if I mentioned that I don't believe in God. It speaks well for the city.

As for the like-mindedness; there are definitely plenty of atheists/agnostics in Austin. Freethinking is accepted if not encouraged here and - although it's not Berkeley, if you wanted to join some kind of atheist organization, it's not hard to find one.

Old 07-14-2008, 03:51 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,638,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
Hey - I keep almost recommending Autin on this thread. What you said is definitely true. I feel very comfortable in Austin and many, many people I run into are pleasant, friendly, and probably Christian. But I still wouldn't feel too weird about openly not believing in God - people really do "live and let live" here. It's sort of odd in a nice way. For example, most of the people I work with have spent their whole lives in Austin, and they are very accepting people even though many are on the conservative, business-minded side. What I mean is that they are not transplants who moved here for the music scene or the "hippie vibe" or the sun - they are just from Austin - and I know that I would not be shunned if I mentioned that I don't believe in God. It speaks well for the city.

As for the like-mindedness; there are definitely plenty of atheists/agnostics in Austin. Freethinking is accepted if not encouraged here and - although it's not Berkeley, if you wanted to join some kind of atheist organization, it's not hard to find one.
Really? Even though I'm not really looking to join any, it would be nice to at least meet some other atheists in Austin, just so I know I'm not the only one. What about the suburbs like Round Rock?

Old 07-14-2008, 05:33 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,383,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Really? Even though I'm not really looking to join any, it would be nice to at least meet some other atheists in Austin, just so I know I'm not the only one. What about the suburbs like Round Rock?
Well, first of all, I think there have been some discussions about this very topic over in the Austin forum so you should do a search -- in fact I think there was even a thread about "atheism in the suburbs" or something. I know of at least one regular poster over there who is an atheist suburban mom living in RR. She says that there is really no discussion of religion among her neighbors that she knows of, and that she gets along fine with everybody. I don't know if she's met any other atheists there, but a few people chimed in on that thread, so they are certainly out there.

Inside city limits, there are atheists-a-plenty from what I can see. I have lived in both areas, so send me a DM if you want to ask me anything further.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:12 AM

17 posts, read 39,358 times
Don't know if I can call myself an atheist, altho I have been called that by others. I just simple have never been able, even from childhood to accept some of the twisted concepts that formal Christianity embellishes. Never could figure out how people can so blindly accept and be lead by so much nonsense. Fear is the rule and keeping people in fear allow them to be ruled through ignorance. It's just too hard for me to swallow and for the life of me, when I hear someone say of the King James Version, "if it was good enough for Jesus, it's good enough for me". They don't even have the intellect to figure out that the KJV is simple that, his version from the 16th -17th century and he added and left out what was convenient at the time. Stupidity just boggles the mind!!

Old 04-14-2009, 08:40 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,859,038 times
I tend to agree with CNCRacer, not for the first time, at least here in N.C. the Chapel Hill, Cary, area, including parts of Durham, Raleigh, Hillsborough are not upset by atheism. Mebane, thus far, has given me no problem and I am not a closet atheist. Greensboro is also quite liberal, these are areas, either with Universities, or close by to areas with Universities. As has been noted, atheism is more acceptable, and prevalent, in areas of greater educational acumen.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:39 AM

593 posts, read 1,794,900 times
May I suggest HELL...there's lots of like minded folks there of all races and countries. You can spend all of eternity discussing how intelligent you all are over the Christians..

Last edited by Hazel Eyes; 04-14-2009 at 12:13 PM..

Old 04-14-2009, 01:34 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,259,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel Eyes View Post
May I suggest HELL...there's lots of like minded folks there of all races and countries. You can spend all of eternity discussing how intelligent you all are over the Christians..
Troll.

Actually, I would prefer hell over you sanctimonious, and judgmental trolls - and your vicious god is not my idea of heaven. I do wish your rapture was real - then earth would be rid of your ilk.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:43 PM

593 posts, read 1,794,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
Troll.

Actually, I would prefer hell over you sanctimonious, and judgmental trolls - and your vicious god is not my idea of heaven. I do wish your rapture was real - then earth would be rid of your ilk.
First of all, I'm not a troll and my GOD is not vicious..The OP asked a question and I just made a suggestion, that's all...

The Rapture is real whether you believe it or not...And, I don't think I'd want to be left behind because the next 7 years won't be fun..

I'm just saying......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism