Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 02:35 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,276,064 times

Advertisements

I guess I have wondered (sadly) why :
Zeus and Jesus (especially in Spanish) sound so much alike.

People were formed in the image of Greek & Roman Gods as we were made in God's image .

People were like Gods except that they did not have powers or immortality. Gods could not die.
People die , but Jesus returned from the dead thus was immortal.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 07:56 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,259,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I guess I have wondered (sadly) why :
Zeus and Jesus (especially in Spanish) sound so much alike.

People were formed in the image of Greek & Roman Gods as we were made in God's image .

People were like Gods except that they did not have powers or immortality. Gods could not die.
People die , but Jesus returned from the dead thus was immortal.
But so did Persephone, and Dyonisis, and Osiris. The resurrection of the dying god is a common religious idea across the millenia. It is the basic representation of the life cycle that agricultural peoples depend on. The dying god is the winter death, the resurrection is the rebirth in spring. The Madonna is the fruitfulness of the harvest. What the Christian religion did is mix up the basic metaphor so that it no longer reflected the basics of life and put a strong misogynist tone to the whole story line.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:09 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,955,296 times
Yep, Christianity is a mixture of a lot of things....Essene Judaism, Persian Zoroastrianism, and Greek and Roman mythology. There is really nothing new there at all.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:03 AM

8,814 posts, read 21,276,064 times
What the Christian religion did is mix up the basic metaphor so that it no longer reflected the basics of life and put a strong misogynist tone

That is why I said I wonder about it with sadness. I guess I would want it all to be true.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 10-11-2008, 10:05 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,859,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
This is something I've wondered about. I've often compared the existence of the Christian God to something like that of the Greek Gods, Roman Gods, Norse Gods, etc... in that I find the Christian God to be just as likely (if a God exists) as any of those fine examples.

My question is this: If there were evidence that a supernatural entity (something we would call God) existed - and only evidence of existence, not ideology; is there a particular God that you would find to be more plausible of worshiping? Do you think that the Christian god, or perhaps the Muslim god is actually more plausible than something like Zeus or Thor? If so, why?
Well...... I don't find any of them plausible. also, I tend to be leary of any theory that is prefaced with "if" "If" frogs had wings they wouldn't bump their ass when they walked" The "if" indicates that a break with reality is about to take place.

Old 10-12-2008, 01:48 AM

102 posts, read 152,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
This is something I've wondered about. I've often compared the existence of the Christian God to something like that of the Greek Gods, Roman Gods, Norse Gods, etc... in that I find the Christian God to be just as likely (if a God exists) as any of those fine examples.

My question is this: If there were evidence that a supernatural entity (something we would call God) existed - and only evidence of existence, not ideology; is there a particular God that you would find to be more plausible of worshiping? Do you think that the Christian god, or perhaps the Muslim god is actually more plausible than something like Zeus or Thor? If so, why?
One thing for sure, they can't all be right. It is more likely they are all wrong than all be right. There seems to be exclusive truth claims to all religions. Truth exists, to be sure, and there is only one truth. Every human has to engage with at least 4 questions; questions that are obvious and we all have in common. The questions of origin, menaing, morality and destiny. Origin - Where did we come from, how did we get here? Meaning - Why am I here? Why do I even want life to have meaning anyway? What is the purpose of my existence? Morality - why do I feel guilty? How do you explain suffering? how do I know what is right and wrong? Destiny - we all die, what happens after? No one needs to ask you these questions, they just present themselves as we live life.

Every religion or worldview has to answer these questions. If one were to be shopping around for a worldview in search for truth, I would say look at how these worldviews answer these glaring questions and ask which one seems to correspond best to reality as you know it, defines the human experience most accurately, makes logical sense and is satisfying. WHo would want to believe and base their life around something they know is not true? There is no empirical proof for any religion or non-religion. But that does not mean belief has to come by blind faith, divorced from rationality and reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism