Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 08:04 PM

271 posts, read 809,642 times

Advertisements

Do Atheists believe in any type of existence after death? Are there different types of Atheists with vastly different beliefs? Do Atheists also include Buddhism and like beliefs as fairy tales? I've always considered organized religion silly but also dangerous and since I just found this thread I'm hoping for lots of interesting opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 09:01 PM

1,242 posts, read 2,459,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
No, it's really not. A life free of guilt, free of the looming visage of a vengeful god waiting to strike them down if they sin. A life free of being told what to think and when to think it. And that's just the beginning...sounds pretty good to me.
I used to be an atheist back in the day, so I know the mindset very well.

But I have also always been a rigid conservative. The idea that morality is black and white, and not all gray like many secularists try to portray it, is an idea that I prefer to follow. There is definite black and white issues out there. Christianity defines many of them, and I happen to agree with it.

Also, I like the idea of looking forward to death.

Old 10-12-2008, 09:25 PM

102 posts, read 152,806 times
[quote=Mozart271;5662128]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tic_constant View Post

I don't know anyone who never feels guilty for anything, but truthfully, I think for the most part, nursing guilt is counterproductive. (I am not talking about a serial killer, but everyday stuff like not going to your nephews 1st birthday party when your sister asked you, not getting to your kid's play, etc.) Guilt is an emotion that says "I am a bad person because---".

I believe we can do better by thinking something like "I made a mistake in that case" or "It would have been better if I had done--". You can surely admit you did something wrong, and then you can take action, if possible, to rectify it. But you needn't get bogged down in guilt and self-recrimination--that only causes you to feel miserable, and does not improve your situation.
I agree with you, nursing guilt is counterproductive. There is never any learning or growth that comes from nursing it. Guilt is like pain in that it can, but not always, point to something that is wrong. There ought to be a measure of guilt or shame in our unkind actions toward others. It is very dangerous to not feel guilt for anything, nothing to keep a persons actions in check. Read the final account of adolf ikeman as he walked his way to the gallows, guilt free with the death of millions of his conscience.

Old 10-13-2008, 04:49 AM

428 posts, read 1,630,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tic_constant View Post
I agree with you, nursing guilt is counterproductive. There is never any learning or growth that comes from nursing it. Guilt is like pain in that it can, but not always, point to something that is wrong. There ought to be a measure of guilt or shame in our unkind actions toward others. It is very dangerous to not feel guilt for anything, nothing to keep a persons actions in check. Read the final account of adolf ikeman as he walked his way to the gallows, guilt free with the death of millions of his conscience.
I agree with your point, no question. I suppose guilt as a deterrent is necessary--although this would be guilt as a theoretical rather than as an existing emotion. I wonder, do we follow rules for not harming others because of the potential guilt ("I would be a horrible person if I harmed someone, I couldn't live with myself") or because of a genuine wish not to harm them for their sake?

As for the perpetrators of Holocaust, I think we must look beyond "normal" behavior to a sort of profound aberration that can be set in motion in the primitive brain centers responsible for extreme xenophobia. Common reactions like guilt are totally subsumed here.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:10 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,275,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
Do Atheists believe in any type of existence after death? Are there different types of Atheists with vastly different beliefs? Do Atheists also include Buddhism and like beliefs as fairy tales? I've always considered organized religion silly but also dangerous and since I just found this thread I'm hoping for lots of interesting opinions.
Atheists do not believe in a god thing. Period. That is the only data point that we agree on. Period.

This atheist doesn't believe in any type of life after death.
Death is it. Finish.

I'm also buddhist, if anything. Buddhist is just the way I try to live my life, it is a philosophy. It talks about ahimsa, the non-harming of living things.

Fairy tales? I'm very confused here. Please provide some examples. My take is that fairy tales are fairy tales.

Actually, your post is rather condescending and rude.
Apparently, you are a christian and believe in that fairy tale.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:23 PM

271 posts, read 809,642 times
chielgirl
My question about Atheist beliefs was not meant to be rude or condescending and if you took it that way I apologize. I meant do Atheist consider all religions based on fiction or "fairy tales". I'm looking for enlightenment not confrontation. I do not understand how an Atheist could be a Buddhist so if possible would you please explain? You assume I am Christian and then attempt to insult me for what reason? You and I are not the same type of Buddhist. Again I was only looking for information and the possibility to share ideas.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:38 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,784,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post

the first real souring toward religion and Christianity in particular was when i spent two years working for a faith-based company. i never met more terrible people in my life. the people in charge were crooked, and didn't actually care about the people that worked there. they cared more about their image as a company that "helps" people throughout other parts of the world. we had a weekly meeting, which generally resulted in some sort of bible school. i bought into it for a little while. but the worst came when i took a liking to one of the guys i worked with (who i didn't start hanging out with a lot until after he stopped working there). he told me he loved me and i made the fatal mistake of believing him. after a while he just completely stopped talking to me, not even explaining why. i didn't understand how someone who could call themselves a "good Christian" would completely shut someone they "loved" out of their life with no explanation.
This wasn't the guy you were mentioning on the relationship forum was it?

What I have discovered is that if it doesn't come from Love, it's not valuable.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:44 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,232,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsavvy View Post
This wasn't the guy you were mentioning on the relationship forum was it?

What I have discovered is that if it doesn't come from Love, it's not valuable.
no, heh, this was a few years ago.

Old 10-13-2008, 04:00 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,784,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
no, heh, this was a few years ago.
Oh good, but I guess that would be an entirely different thread wouldn't it?

Old 10-13-2008, 04:06 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,017,657 times
[quote=tic_constant;5655573]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
No, it's really not. A life free of guilt, free of the looming visage of a vengeful god waiting to strike them down if they sin. A life free of being told what to think and when to think it. And that's just the beginning...sounds pretty good to me.[/quote

Do you honestly never feel guilty for anything? Is it admirable to never have guilt for your actions?
"Free of guilt" in Sushi's post probably means free of the constant worry of if God approves or not. I have a Christian sister whom I love dearly...but she is consumed by her faith. If she gets angry about something and says "darn it!" she immediatly apologizes to god...she begs his forgiveness when she has an angry thought...it's absurd. She lives in constant fear of upsetting god, when in fact she is such a good person she almost glows.

Of course we non-Christians feel guilt, and we suffer the consequences of our actions...good or bad. But we are human, we have human emotions and human frailties and we accept that we are going to s crew up...without having to beg forgiveness from god for doing so. Being non-Christian, in fact, forces people to take responsibility for their actions. A non-Christian cannot go through life screwing up and doing wrong and then suddenly say "Oh, gosh I'm sorry god" and be forgiven. A non-Christian deals with our own "karma" (for lack fo a better word) and does not rely on a god to make nice-nice for our actions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism