Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2008, 06:15 PM

8,994 posts, read 14,824,976 times

Advertisements

God, humbug: Humanist holiday ads say just be good - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081112/ap_on_re_us/rel_godless_holidays;_ylt=AvHNOIHyUdcVnuXaWFK2hEas 0NUE - broken link)

I like their message.

I remember reading once, "Morality is not doing the right thing because you're afraid of being punished, that's called sucking up."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 03:30 AM

102 posts, read 153,356 times
I read a similar news clip posted by someone on another thread. There has been a long debate about morality (How do atheists define morality), I don't know if you have read any of it or not. Can you comment on that bilboard "God probably doesn't exist, so stop worrying and enjoy life" What were they implying that people worry about? Are they saying that believing in God = unenjoyable existence?

Old 11-12-2008, 07:39 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,039,786 times
I think, Tic, that most non-Christians see Christianity as a religion based on fear and worry: I must please God or I will spend eternity in hell, I will be left behind when the rapture comes, I will have to go through tribulation and horror during the End Times, etc etc etc...while non-Christians pretty much realize that we reap what we sow. We are responsible for our own actions and "karma" (so to speak), that no god is going to throw us into a fiery hell, no great rapture is going to come sweep away only the faithful (making many Christians very worried about their faith), and that there are no End Times to fear when we will be persecuted and tortured for our faith.

Christians spend their lives walking on egg-shells...or so it seemed to me when I tried for so many years to accept Christianity myself. Now, assured that whatever created this universe is not out to demand my allegiance, I live a much more peaceful and fulfilled life.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:16 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,360,018 times
I believe that God and Religion serve as excuses to do some pretty evil things, like denying rights to people because they are different from you. Whether that's gay rights here in the states, Palestinian rights in Israel or the rights of Muslim women, it's all immoral because they are using religion to deny people the freedoms they deserve.

I on the other hand, volunteer with poor kids at local rec centers, I always hold the door open for strangers, I go back to the cashier to tell them when they undercharge me and feel immense guilt any time I do anything even remotely bad, even if it's accidentally knocking an heirloom off the shelf while cleaning. Am I immoral because I don't believe in a magical fairy in the sky or a fiery pit awaiting me when I die?

Old 11-13-2008, 10:28 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,688,821 times
This should be the precept we all live by and I can't think of a more perfect and succinct way to describe what should be a universally recognised Philosophy regardless of race, creed, sexuality...

That an of course "first do no harm" !

All summed up beautifully and simply. Just perfect !

Old 11-13-2008, 05:52 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,711,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
This should be the precept we all live by and I can't think of a more perfect and succinct way to describe what should be a universally recognised Philosophy regardless of race, creed, sexuality...

That an of course "first do no harm" !

All summed up beautifully and simply. Just perfect !
Yep! I figure, I formed my 'morals' by looking at the world around me, not just my own family, city, state or country, but all over. After long consideration I think I have my morals pretty well defined, but as a logical person I'm always changing when I decide I was incorrect or my mind realizes something more profound I figure, I know my morals and I didn't have to learn them from a book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism