Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 08:40 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,687,255 times

Advertisements

Forums like this are great since they allow atheists to meet like-minded individuals. But the problem is that most of us don't live in the same city so we never really meet in person. How does one go about meeting other atheists in real life? We don't have an equivalent of a church (nor should we, in my opinion). I've never believed that atheists should organize the way Christians or Jews do. After all, it's a little strange to organize based on what you DON'T believe in. But there are days where I wish I could at least spot who the other atheists are around me. I've looked at things like meetup, but wasn't too thrilled with what I found there. A lot of the people came off a bit extremist. Where are all the normal atheists?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 09:51 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,360,822 times
Honestly, it's difficult to find atheists for the specific reason why a lot of them exist, the distaste for organization. I'm lucky enough that the guy who sits in the cubicle next to me at work is also an atheist, but people that I've thought were atheist before ended up being Catholics or something else who went to church on Christmas and got offended when I said "god damn it" (which probably gets censored by CD)...I've found that it's just trial and error, but mostly error.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:53 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,917,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Forums like this are great since they allow atheists to meet like-minded individuals. But the problem is that most of us don't live in the same city so we never really meet in person. How does one go about meeting other atheists in real life? We don't have an equivalent of a church (nor should we, in my opinion). I've never believed that atheists should organize the way Christians or Jews do. After all, it's a little strange to organize based on what you DON'T believe in. But there are days where I wish I could at least spot who the other atheists are around me. I've looked at things like meetup, but wasn't too thrilled with what I found there. A lot of the people came off a bit extremist. Where are all the normal atheists?
Well, for starters, (this is of course something I myself have done and can attest to the efficacy thereof) on your bio page, at least put down the state in which you live (confusion is not considered a proper response), I have contacted several people who live in the same state as I. conversersly, I have also been contacted by folks who live relatively close by, some I have spoken to by phone, others I met face to face. In this forum there is a method in place by which you may send messages to most people who allow messages. To use an often repeated phrase "seek and ye shall find" HEHEHEHE, I really don't cite that source often.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:01 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,594,944 times
cncracer has a thread on meeting other Atheists here:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/athei...s-atheist.html

Old 12-01-2008, 01:59 PM

917 posts, read 2,304,993 times
A friend of mine has a "darwin fish" magnet that he puts on the back of his car. It's like the christians "jesus fish" except this one has little legs and feet!

Old 12-01-2008, 02:03 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,202,172 times
Where can i get one of those Ann? That sounds cute!

Old 12-01-2008, 02:13 PM

520 posts, read 898,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
Where can i get one of those Ann? That sounds cute!
Here

Old 12-01-2008, 02:18 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,202,172 times
Yep, i found bunch of different ones, on another site. Thanks forkpower!

Old 12-01-2008, 04:04 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,719,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann in Oriental View Post
A friend of mine has a "darwin fish" magnet that he puts on the back of his car. It's like the christians "jesus fish" except this one has little legs and feet!
I love those! I like the one where it's a fish, and on the inside instead of 'jesus' it says 'Nchips' I myself have a Flying Spaghetti Monster placard on my car.

I think that's how I find people who believe in the same thing I do... people recognize it and I've had a few good conversations with random people both Atheist and not, because of my little placard.

Old 12-01-2008, 04:09 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,672,029 times
I've met two people so far from the forum and both are atheists. One of them happens to live in Nashville so thanks to the internet and this forum I was able to venture out of my hermitlike existence and actually make friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism