Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 08:05 PM

4 posts, read 5,385 times

Advertisements

If you work in the Bible Belt and your co-workers start talking about religion and church, what do you say to their questions about being saved?

I tend to be vague as my boss doesn't like arguments about religion and thinks snappy retorts are unprofessional.

If somebody asks me if I'm saved, I say "yes", because to me, being saved has nothing to do with Jesus. (smile). It means whatever I want it to mean.

Come to think of it. I'm saved....from bad habits.

Happy Valentine's Day - LizK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 08:14 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,169,008 times
No one talks religion at my work, thank God!

Old 02-14-2009, 09:05 PM

690 posts, read 2,107,834 times
I live in the Bible Belt, too, but I don't remember anybody asking me if I've been saved. Occasionally, people do try to get me to go to their church with them. I usually tell them I'm Catholic, because I was raised Catholic. And I think Catholics are a minority here. Most people here are some kind of Protestant. So telling them you're Catholic is usually a good way to get them to not invite you to church with them anymore.

I don't know why I don't just admit that I'm an atheist. Maybe I'm just a baby. I'm so afraid that if I do, my co-workers will stop talking to me and think I'm evil or something.

Old 02-14-2009, 11:25 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,389,830 times
I live in the Bible belt as well and it has never come up at work. If it did I would probably just say I did not feel comfortable talking about it in a work place environment. Most people I have met understand not wanting to talk politics or religion at work as they are too controversial.

Old 02-14-2009, 11:30 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,898,898 times
The only actual conversation about religion or my religious status I can ever recall having at work started out discussing how as an athiest I celebrated Christmas and quickly moved to the agenda of the conversation starter who seemed to think that because Christmas is ONLY a religious holiday that I should NEVER want time off at that time of year and would always be available to cover for those who are religious.

Old 02-14-2009, 11:36 PM

690 posts, read 2,107,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
The only actual conversation about religion or my religious status I can ever recall having at work started out discussing how as an athiest I celebrated Christmas and quickly moved to the agenda of the conversation starter who seemed to think that because Christmas is ONLY a religious holiday that I should NEVER want time off at that time of year and would always be available to cover for those who are religious.
Please. I will never not celebrate Christmas. Although, for me, it's not about buying useless crap for my loved ones and celebrating the birth of Jesus. It's about gettting to see my loved ones, who I don't see very often these days, and appreciate them for being a part of my life. I guess it's kind of Thanksgiving Part II.

Old 02-14-2009, 11:37 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,530,387 times
Fortunately, the subject hasn't come up among my coworkers. But one of the places I pick up at (I'm a trucker), the gate guard is a "born again". So I've had to tap dance a little because I don't want him to make me wait longer to get loaded...

Old 02-14-2009, 11:59 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,898,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson4381 View Post
Please. I will never not celebrate Christmas. Although, for me, it's not about buying useless crap for my loved ones and celebrating the birth of Jesus. It's about gettting to see my loved ones, who I don't see very often these days, and appreciate them for being a part of my life. I guess it's kind of Thanksgiving Part II.
I think regardless of your religious views it is generally the one time of the year that things close and people have time off.
We don't have Thanksgiving here so for Aussies Christmas is usually at least a 4 day weekend as we have Christmas Day as a public holiday and Boxing Day as well. Most people find ways to extend this time for as long as possible if it buts up against a weekend which generally it does.
It might be the birth of Christ for some people and it might be the commemoration of a Pagan ritual for others. It might be Hanakah or have a whole bunch of religious meanings for people BUT as it is generally the one time of the year that people DO spend time with their families regardless of their religious beliefs (OR NOT) it is equally important to everyone. Christmas is the one time of year that my family all comes together, no exceptions and yes we do give and receive gifts but we also have a meal together and a good chin wag and catch up about the year's events. That we don't attend midnight mass doesn't make our celebration any less valid than anyone elses. It doesn't make it more valid either. These things need to be taken in turns so that everyone has a fair go.

As to people at work discussing religion with me, well as far as I'm aware that would go against our equal opportunities guidelines and is generally met with "I really don't wish to discuss this at work, thank you."

Old 02-15-2009, 08:52 AM

1,088 posts, read 2,195,710 times
This is pretty much commonplace around here. My husband left one job after just a couple of months because he was constantly being preached to while on the clock. He never said to them that he was an atheist because he feared being fired without having another job to go to. So once another job became available, he quit.

At his new job, he informed them he was atheist. His coworkers and general foreman were all fine with it. Then the company had him transfered to a new location (so that he would be up for a foreman's position). The new general foreman also knows that my husband is an atheist from working with him a few years ago. Unfortunately, this guy fancies himself as being "called to minister" and regularly brings religion up at work. The foreman position has opened up 3 different times now since the transfer, and all 3 times my husband has been skipped over for it.

Welcome to the Bible Belt.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:23 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,934,099 times
Note to self: Don't move to Bible Belt. Stay in sinful Southern California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism