Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 04:29 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,185,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecapitalistpig View Post
" Compassion is the foundation of morality, as I understand it at least. "

It isn't.
It is for me. My moral sense is based on my ability to experience compassion.

Quote:
Life is. Morality is a code of values to guide your choices and actions. The purpose of morality is to teach men to live and enjoy life. Don't you want to live a happy life? Or do you want to be miserable and die? The choices you make and the actions you take will determine what lind of life you live. If you feel compassion for a pack of murderers and act on that compassion by having them move in with you, you'll get what you deserve. If you have compassion for a child abuser and have him babysit your children, well, you don't value your children.
Compassion and reason are not mutally exclusive. And I'm certainly not advocating that anyone should embrace or reject compassion in any or all circumstances. I do advocate positive behavior but what you (general you) hold, or don't hold, in your heart is your business.

Quote:
As far as values go - you would be dead without them. Think about all the actions you take to gain and keep thing you value: a computer, a house, food, a car, books, friends...... If you didn't value these things you wouldn't act to gain and keep them. Do you value honesty? Courage? Yourself?
Of course, who doesn't?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 03:29 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,014,158 times
If you ever listen to a believer in proofless things, then think they know better, it is garbage thinking. Believers in faith objects have never had a thought of their own in their entire lives, regardless of their age. They lack the mental stimulus that allows someone to discern the difference between right or wrong or to form their own beliefs. It's as if they are(and they are in the way of thinking) little babies who need an authority figure to give them a list of moral prescriptions to abide by or they would be throwing a temper tantrum. Even if you explain things clearly to them, they think that it is automatically wrong since facts are against their beliefs. Case and point, beating your children is moral, but homosexuality is immoral just 'because god says so.' They are unable to develope the capacity of thinking so they consider these actions moral or immoral because their imaginary friend says it's so. Better to ignore the insane verbal blatherings of the nonthinkers, but rather spend time on enjoyment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism