Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 07:34 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times

Advertisements

Many say we are, but many wild creatures are a lot smarter than we think.

Are you smarter than an Orca? Just for fun, let's find out....

A member of a pod of Orcas has found a nice fat seal. The problem is the seal is in the center of a fairly large ice flow and she cannot reach it..There are many other smaller pieces of ice all around....She eventually solves the problem and gets her dinner.

How did she do it?

Please refrain from answering if you have seen the solution in the video I will post ......eventually.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 09:26 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,356,599 times
I won’t answer the orca question, but I will say humans are animals and the question of how intelligent they are is still out, and not looking too good.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:52 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
I don't know the answer to the orca question but I think that intelligence can exist in many forms and even measuring human intelligence with an IQ test which results in a number is probably simplifying the nature of our own intellectual abilities. We think of insects as not having any intelligence whatsoever but we know that honeybees for example are capable of communicating with each other with a very complex kind of dance. They are able to communicate the location of a food source to each other with great precision and we wouldn't even be aware of that ability if it hadn't been studied in great detail over many years. I think it's likely that dolphins and other animals that we can see are quite intelligent have abilities that we don't even realize exist because they're so different from human intelligence that we don't even know what to look for. I don't know if we're the most intelligent animal but we certainly have the biggest egos.

Old 03-21-2009, 12:28 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,862,875 times
This would, I suppose, greatly depend upon ones' definition of "intelligence". We are the only animal of which I am aware, that has a written language. But, .....A lot of what I read, from time to time, did not require a modicum of intelligence to create.

Old 03-21-2009, 01:17 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,339,984 times
absolutley humans are the mos.....uh mmm wait a minute...my dog is looking at me.....wants another treat...I'll be right back...

ok..now where were we ....

oh yea I remember.. humans are the most intelligent

Old 03-21-2009, 02:12 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,261,663 times
Before that question can be answered, which humans are we talking about? I have observed that my (now deceased) dog was more intelligent than most of our leaders since they persist in the belief that if something has never worked in the past, it is sure to work this time. My dog was much smarter than that - if it didn't work, she tried another method.

Old 03-21-2009, 02:25 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
I think humans are the smartest animal. However, I also think that we are too smart for our own good, with a remarkable capacity for self-delusion. Cleverness without wisdom.

Old 03-21-2009, 02:28 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,520,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I think humans are the smartest animal. However, I also think that we are too smart for our own good, with a remarkable capacity for self-delusion. Cleverness without wisdom.

blessed are the poor in spirit ... therefore!

Old 03-21-2009, 02:41 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Many say we are, but many wild creatures are a lot smarter than we think.

Are you smarter than an Orca? Just for fun, let's find out....

A member of a pod of Orcas has found a nice fat seal. The problem is the seal is in the center of a fairly large ice flow and she cannot reach it..There are many other smaller pieces of ice all around....She eventually solves the problem and gets her dinner.

How did she do it?

Please refrain from answering if you have seen the solution in the video I will post ......eventually.....
This needs careful age of empires III strategy.

Send in two galleons, kill all the orcas guarding the treasure.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:39 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
The Orca's solution required thought, communication, planning, preparation and coordination...

YouTube - Untamed and Uncut- Orcas Attack Seal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism