Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 08:27 PM

113 posts, read 263,636 times

Advertisements

I'm an athiest!! I live in deep NC, I'm considered a 'demon'! Who decides this?..I'm an Altruist!!! Why am I so bad cause I don't believe in god !!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 11:10 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,698,565 times
You're not a bad person for not believing in god. But there are millions of people who will judge you simply by that fact and come to the ignorant conclusion that you are bad or a demon or possessed.

Unfortunately, most of them are pretty closed-minded about freethinkers like us. You just have to learn to ignore them for the most part, because they're not going to change.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:36 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,033,554 times
We are put here to experience life. No one has the right to tell others that what they believe is wrong. We all have our own crosses to bear and when another says we are a bad person based on our beliefs, then that person saying that is not comfortable being in their own shoes. They just want to bring others down to their own level and petty ways of thinking. Believing in God is not necessary on this earth. Sometimes our lives are better if we leave Him out at this juncture. At some point, the truths of the spirit world will be shown to us. It matters not if it's here or there. If we be who we are without the masks, we are doing our job as humans.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:59 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,887,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipsky View Post
I'm an athiest!! I live in deep NC, I'm considered a 'demon'! Who decides this?..I'm an Altruist!!! Why am I so bad cause I don't believe in god !!?
Hey neighbor! You should know that anyone who does not live their life according to the christer mythology is subject to intense scrutiny in this neck of the woods. It's the ole "Iffn you ain't baptist, somethin' is seriously wrong with you!" syndrome. The good news is, it is survive-able.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:13 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,033,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Hey neighbor! You should know that anyone who does not live their life according to the christer mythology is subject to intense scrutiny in this neck of the woods. It's the ole "Iffn you ain't baptist, somethin' is seriously wrong with you!" syndrome. The good news is, it is survive-able.
Even though I'm a minister, I've never been baptised. It's not necessary. It won't get you to heaven any quicker than someone who has.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:30 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,408,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipsky View Post
I live in Southern Mississippi...I know what you mean! I think it would be fun to walk around the local Wal Mart with a t shirt on that says Atheist or Agnostic on it...just to see all the "long haired skirt wearers" (pentecostals) looks!

Old 07-29-2009, 05:35 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,939,334 times
Back when I was a bit more aggressive about my atheism, I use to wear a t-shirt on sundays.

It was brown, with a big happy white smiley face on it with a napkin to it's lips and the words:

"God was my co-pilot... but then we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him."

Many people seemed to have a problem with this.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:17 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,698,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
Back when I was a bit more aggressive about my atheism, I use to wear a t-shirt on sundays.

It was brown, with a big happy white smiley face on it with a napkin to it's lips and the words:

"God was my co-pilot... but then we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him."

Many people seemed to have a problem with this.
Holy crap I love that one!

I also like the one that says "Jesus SAVES! Everyone else rolls for damage..."

If you're an old gamer geek like me, you'll get it.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:30 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,113,454 times
If you plan to stay where you're at, get used to it. I live in a similar type of environment, and, as has been already stated, it is manageable.

Sometimes it can even be fun being a non-believer in locations such as yours, especially around pentecostals

Old 07-29-2009, 03:33 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,482,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Holy crap I love that one!

I also like the one that says "Jesus SAVES! Everyone else rolls for damage..."

If you're an old gamer geek like me, you'll get it.
"rolling for damage" - D&D

I think that if you're comfortable in your own skin with what you believe who cares what anyone else thinks.

I don't want the religious nutbags rubbing it in my face anymore than I want an atheist rubbing their beliefs in my face - keep your beliefs private.

I always say, the ultimate mystery of life is death, and one day we will all be faced with that reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism