Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 01:48 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,429,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.leviman View Post
Yes, Atheist should choose a holiday day and promote it as a national holiday, like Christmas.
Do we have anything to celebrate at Christmas day?
I celebrate with a HUGE chuckle that the origins of Christmas are pagan and the christians think they invented it. Never bothering to ask where the tree came from, where the mistletoe came from and the yule log. I get a HUGE kick out of it in fact.

How many christians out there hang the mistletoe, not realizing it stems from pagans who worshipped fertility.

I get the same kick at Easter, christians and their Easter eggs, more fertility symbols. Even the name of Easter came from a pagan holiday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 01:53 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,429,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
'Ok, so I know there have been several posts talking about holidays and whether they are fair, or whether you work on religious holidays, or whatever, and that all got me thinking.
'

REPLY: Is it fair for those who consider themselves atheists and hate The Christian Faith, to have holidays OFF that are Christian or are linked to Christianity ? Hmmmmm.....
Don't try to turn the atheists into the haters. Its not us that are FULL of hatred and scorn for those we can't control.

I have no hatred for those that choose to worship how they see fit. As long as they will leave me alone. Most of the time I get a chuckle out of them if you want to know the truth.

Have you ever noticed how christians are always banging on about their gaurdian angel, I don't buy that anymore then I believe there are fairies in the garden.

Just because christians have commandeered a few holidays from the pagans doesn't mean they are really a christian holiday. In fact it was a catholic pope who is responsible for much of the commandeering, he watered down the catholic religion to include pagan tradition to increase the numbers of catholics. Do you know how many non catholic christians today will tell you that catholics AREN"T CHRISTIAN??

Old 08-01-2009, 02:01 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,325,713 times
no fairies in the garden..then what are those little lights flying around??? dang, girl...

Old 12-05-2010, 05:25 PM

2 posts, read 1,683 times
Freedom from religion day, February 12 (also Darwin and A. Lincoln's birthday).

Everybody draw Mohammed day, May 20.

See http://bornatheist.com/files/Born_Atheist_web.pdf

Old 12-06-2010, 08:18 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,645,569 times
April 15th is a great holiday for them.

Other than that, there are plenty of secular holidays throughout the year.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:36 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,680,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
April 15th is a great holiday for them.
Because religion weasels out of paying taxes.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:43 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,645,569 times
No, because that's the only God you worship--the Almighty Dollar.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:25 AM

16,665 posts, read 15,660,325 times
Pastafarians have a number of holidays to celebrate, including "Talk Like A Pirate" day on September 19.

A Pastafarian Guide to the Holidays - Associated Content from Yahoo! - associatedcontent.com

Old 12-06-2010, 11:08 AM

5,535 posts, read 7,106,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Thomas Paine was a devote Deist and in no way an Atheist.

Why on Earth would he write, "The study of theology, as it stands in Christian churches, is the study of nothing...". ?

Old 12-06-2010, 12:05 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,159,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
No, because that's the only God you worship--the Almighty Dollar.
No that would most definitely be Christianity. If Christianity wasn't profitable I guarantee you it would still be a minor blood cult or would have died out altogether ages ago.

And after all, it is you who want "God" printed on our money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism